Are all Magleds (2,3,4 cell) the same brightness after the drop?

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I understand from the reviews that the 3 cell seems to be the sweetspot on brightness by a noticeable margin. And it is stated that the output drops by almost half in the first 10-15 mins. Is this the case with all Magleds, 2, 3, and 4 cell? That would be illogical, as the point of the drop as stated is to throttle back the heat. If the 3 cell remained brighter, it would almost definitely be getting more current (assuming, for sake of this discussion, that binning isn't an issue here). I guess my point is, if all cell versions drop to an identical level, who cares which one starts out a little brighter; the 2 cell, especially the D for it's runtime, would seem to be the sweet spot here.

Does anyone have readings of the different versions after the drop?

Last edited:

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Re: Are all Magleds the same brightness after the drop?

Two, three, or four C or D Alky's are capable of driving a Lux3 at specified current levels with appropriate boost/buck electronics. (In that order.) Depending on the LED's Vf more or less of that energy will be converted to heat, and the heat has minimal places to go so the LED's temperature has to rise. Without temperature control circuitry, thermal runaway could easily occur!

Unless the convertor inefficiences are great enough to affect the waste heat generated, I don't see a potential "sweet spot" as existing. One would expect the 2-cell unit to be boost and the 3/4 cell unit to be buck. :shrug:

I'm curious as to what the 2AA solution will be. It doesn't look amenable to the approach Mag took on the full size lights. It has potential for being a winner!

Larry

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast

No, I realize that, Larry. By "sweet spot", what I meant was that if all cell combos throttle back to the same current level to the led, then the 2 cell would be just as bright as the 3 or 4 cell but in a smaller body (shorter runtime, but in this case I think that's somewhat academic as the 2D goes over 20hrs).

What I'm after is lux readings before and after the big drop, when longterm regulation is in effect for the 2 and 4 cell units compared to the 3 that's on Flashlightreviews. If the 2, 3 and 4 cell units all put out the same amount after the drop, why bother with anything over a 2 cell unit? Granted, if you've already got a 3D Mag, that's different. I am approaching this as if I didn't have a Mag already. As if...!

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well ... I can't give you numbers per se, only practical observations based upon usage of the 2, 3, and 4 cell versions. The 3 cells are always brighter than the 2 cells. Don't see any difference between the 3 and 4 cell though, and would not buy a 4 cell (actually I did, but I returned it.) All in all, as unscientific as it may seem, the 3 cell version does seem to be the sweet spot for me. Should also add that I don't see any difference in output levels between the C or D versions (like you do with the incandescents.) However with that experince under my belt, it looks like I'm going to have to evaluate both 2 and 3 cell versions of the Mini Mag when it becomes available.

Phaserburn said:
What I'm after is lux readings before and after the big drop, when longterm regulation is in effect for the 2 and 4 cell units compared to the 3 that's on Flashlightreviews. If the 2, 3 and 4 cell units all put out the same amount after the drop, why bother with anything over a 2 cell unit? Granted, if you've already got a 3D Mag, that's different. I am approaching this as if I didn't have a Mag already. As if...!

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

You folks are going to want me to burn through 6 more expensive D cells and test all of the modules I have, aren't you... :rolleyes: Typical flashaholics, never satisfied... :)

Ok, I'll do it, but it'll take a week or so because I have some lights in the queue for the runtime rig and the runtimes will take a day or two each...

Now I've got to go around digging lights out of closets and find my Mags... Sheesh.

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast

Quickbeam said:
You folks are going to want me to burn through 6 more expensive D cells and test all of the modules I have, aren't you... :rolleyes: Typical flashaholics, never satisfied... :)
Yes but its all in the name of science :D

Ironhog81

Newly Enlightened
Quickbeam,

I love your site.
It has made a big difference in what I have bought.
SO, I just donated to your "tip jar"
If that doesn't cover cost of D"s let me know.
Sid

Wireman

Newly Enlightened
I have a 4 cell Maglite, I guess I would be better off with a 3 cell version?

Something I have been wondering, after the LED drops off in brightness, is it still brighter than the same Maglite with an incandescent bulb (such as a Krypton or Xenon bulb)?

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

ALL :bow::bow::bow:to Quikbeam!!!

Giving his all in the name of science!

But remember, it's about brightness at parts of the runtime. Not just runtime...

Ironhog81

Newly Enlightened
If you ever use a flashlight for serious work, it is all about the initial brightness.
After a few minutes, it should be all over.
Nice if it keeps on giving though.

el_vato

Newly Enlightened
I know this is a little off subject but I was wondering has anyone taken the MagLed LED and put it on/in a hink sink (either as a donut/washer heatsink or even taking the LED apart) to see what difference it made? That is if it lasted longer at peak brightness, I know it should, but has anyone tried it?

Wireman on the review Quickbeam said

Conclusions:
"...The lack of heatsinking causes your initial bright output to quickly drop, but despite this, throughout the entire runtime the light is ALWAYS brighter (overall output) than the incandescent bulb when using the Mag-LEDs. After the big plunge in the first 15 minutes, the temperature stabilizes and it runs for a very long time..."
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/maglite_mag-led.htm

el_vato

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I tried to cob up some sort of heat sinking in my 84 cent 2AA experiments, but came up short with what I have availbale.

I have used my 3C with a 3cell M*gled for 15-20 minutes in an attic and didn't notice much dimming... but then I wasn't looking for it! I was sweating too much!

dragoman

Enlightened
With regards to the brightness of the 3 cell, I use my 3cell drop in in a 2D mag host, I simply use 3 C Cells with a battery holder and a cut down spring....you have to remove the anodizing from inside the tailcap too, but otherwise thats it....I have a 3 cell MAGLED in a 2D body.

I also use NiMHs to make it guilt free light.

dragoman

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast

Quickbeam said:

Ok, I'll do it, but it'll take a week or so because I have some lights in the queue for the runtime rig and the runtimes will take a day or two each...

Now I've got to go around digging lights out of closets and find my Mags... Sheesh.

Cheers to you! I do think this is a big enough question as it's Maglite to warrant further research. Glad you concur, and looking forward to your results.

Wireman

Newly Enlightened
el_vato said:
Wireman on the review Quickbeam said

Conclusions:
"...The lack of heatsinking causes your initial bright output to quickly drop, but despite this, throughout the entire runtime the light is ALWAYS brighter (overall output) than the incandescent bulb when using the Mag-LEDs. After the big plunge in the first 15 minutes, the temperature stabilizes and it runs for a very long time..."
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/maglite_mag-led.htm
Good review.

So since the LED will always be brighter and last longer than the incan, there is no reason not to get one, correct? From what I initially heard I thought the LED would be worse than the incan.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
For a two cell light it's a no-brainer!!!

For three or four, you MIGHT like an overdriven Krypton or a stock driven Xenon better, maybe...

Myself, I already have 2 and 3 cell covered, and I may well do 4 cell. Though I only have one 4D M*g and it has a weak but loooooooong running NiteIze in it for power outages.

Wireman

Newly Enlightened
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
For three or four, you MIGHT like an overdriven Krypton or a stock driven Xenon better, maybe...
Ya see, now I am confused again.

I thought the MagLED would be brighter than the incan Xenon bulb and also last longer in my 4 D cell?

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a +/- 15% variability in Lumen values in a single bin of Luxeons. Mag is most likely using multiple bins. So I would suspect that some 2Ds might be brighter than some 3D, or 4D's or vice versa. Try to rember how the Lux lottery might affect things. Just because Cave Daves 3D is brighter than his 2D doesn't mean yours will be.

OTOH: It seems like everybody has reported good color tints. Mine is very white.