Rechargeable M6

JoeyL

Enlightened
Well, I have a partly theoretical answer to this, because I was toying with this idea.
Yes it should be possible and here is my reasoning:

I don't have an m6, but I have an m3 and then got a turbo head. I took the leftover regular bezel and put it in an old eveready lantern with a 7.2v radio shack nimh, rated 3amphours.

With the 225 lumen lamp it runs 1.25 hours, at 6.6 volts drawing 2.4 amps. With lithium batteries according to Brock's data, it draws 2.3 amps.

The m6 bulb draws 4.9 amps and with the same radio shack battery should power it for about 35 minutes. This should be easy work for the Nimh battery, since they have a peak discharge of 5C, or 15 amps!

Both the m3 and m6 bulbs are nominally 9 volts,as they use 3 lithium batteries in series (two sets in the m6) but this takes into account the internal resistance of the lithium batteries, which drops the voltage.

The next question is whether the 7.2 volt pack will correctly power the m6 bulb. I feel an urge coming on...

For BN's question, he would need to see if the battery would fit into the m6's shell and then how to rig a switch to work.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by JoeyL:
........For BN's question, he would need to see if the battery would fit into the m6's shell and then how to rig a switch to work.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Joey,

I don't have the mod-smarts to even think this through, let alone do any hands on work.

I love the M6 configuration, but what about emptying out a Tigerlight and modding it to a rechargeable 500 lumen 1/2hr M6?

I think I'll post this back in the regular flashlight forum in the thread I started comparing the Tlight and M6.

Brightnorm

brightnorm

Flashaholic
This is a partial repost from the regular flashlight forum. The big question: Is a modded rechargeable M6 possible? I briefly mention why I will not purchase a 10X and why the M6 configuration is preferred.

"I was tempted by the 10X, even after checking out its awkward shape, considerable size and weight. What finally decided me against it was its unexpectedly limited HOLA run time. This is where the Tigerlight shines, and shines, and shines etc."

"For me, the M6 is a different species entirely. With its remarkably small size, light weight and great ergonomics, coupled with an amazing beam which out throws even the 10X, the M6 is IMO one of the most remarkable lights ever created. Its one weak point is its limited bright runtime and high cost of operation. But even with an endless free supply of lithiums the bright run time is limited."

"That's why a rechargeable M6 with up to date battery technology and, say a minimum 30 minute HOLA run time would be an extraordinary achievement. Can it be done, and how would it be recharged? Could a Tigerlight battery be of any use?"

"I've decided to post this on the Mod forum, because if this is possible someone there will know."

Brightnorm