Newly Enlightened
Just finished my latest project:

4-D Mag Host
2 x Shark @ 1000mA driving 2 x K2's ea
4 x K2 UXOL
4 x 20mm IMS Reflectors
Custom machined quad-sink
UCL

Pretty impressed with the light output, makes my Space Needle clone (SWOJ-4D-750mA) look like an incandesant 2AA with flat batteries!

Beam @ 1m is noticably brighter, but the big difference is seen when lighting far away objects.

Nicely collimated beam, plenty of spill, heat generation doesn't seem to be an issue.

Managed to overtighten the head and smash a UCL into smithereens - won't be doing that again! :)

sink-k2-front.jpg

Top of Custom Quad Sink wired up, epoxy'd up - ready to roll

sink-k2-back.jpg

Ditto for underside of quad sink - showing shark sandwich installed

quadmag-head.jpg

Look Ma! No Wires! Took me a few minutes to work out why the K2's appear to be "on" in this photo - with no apparent power source ...

quadmag-body.jpg

4D Mag Body showing cut down switch assembly and power socket

quadmag-beam.jpg

Beam comparison with SWOJ Space Needle clone (single SWOJ is obviously on the left!)

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
very nice... i'm really interested in the whole 4xK2's....

I think I may use the d2dim driver so I can get my K2 @ 1.5amp to each one... plus i can dim it.... using 4x18650's should give me some decent runtime...

However, now with all the X-bin LuxV's showing up 800+ Lumens from a Quad LuxV looks awesome...

PM Sent to ya

havand

Enlightened
Why did you use 2 drivers instead of 1? If i understand what i've read about that driver correctly, you add the vf, and the current is the same across them all... The driver can output 22V, so around 4X4V=16V?

spanner_crab

Newly Enlightened
The limiting factor is the maximum input current on the Shark - as I'm using 4 x D batteries to supply power to the converters, on a set of flats, at worst case you would be supplying 4 x 0.95v = 3.85v = Vin.

So at an arbitrary 85% converter efficiency, at a maximum 4v Vf (the UXOL's I'm using are actually closer to 3.9v), then

Wout = 16v x 1000mA x 1.15 = 18.4W total draw

I(in) = 18.4W / 3.9v = 4.718A

This exceeds the converter max I(in) by 15%

On a full charge (6v supply) - I(in) is only 3.06A, and so you could get away with only using one converter, but I chose to have the extra margin available.

Certainly it wouldn't be a problem on a 6D or using lithium batteries to supply the juice ... in my case it was just easier to use 2! Although I may go lithium anyway at some point.

Cheers!

havand

Enlightened
AHHH, thanks a bunch! :) I've got some K2's (i just made a post about it) on the way, but unfortunately, they have a much higher Vf than yours. (2 different sets UWON and UWAP, so 4.2-4.4ish and 4.4-4.7ish) And i'm looking at making a monster too. Guess i have some more stuff to learn first though, huh? (P.s. did you make that heatsink or did you have someone make it for you?)

spanner_crab

Newly Enlightened
I drew up the heatsink and had a local shop spin it up for me - it wasn't cheap, but it was cheaper than buying a lathe :)

Good luck with your K2's - you are probably aware you have several options available to you in terms of converters and sources, but to run 1500mA @ 4.8v will require some serious supplies!

havand

Enlightened
Those C cell lithiums AW has are tempting, but expensive! I sort of figured that was my best option..That or a crapload of AA 1.2V NIMH

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi make a Mod like that, but i am running the K2 with to Fatman with 4 18650, the body get hot very faster and very hot... that can blow the Leds out??? i dont use my MagMod for long time because I fear that something is damaged...

Last edited:

havand

Enlightened
I think i'm going to be running my k2s at 1A based on several people's suggestions.

This is for personal knowledge, not because i really want to do it anymore...How do you get the shark to output 1.5A? I thought i saw it in the FAQ, but i'm not sure.