Weird issue with router and secure sites

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
A client recently lost her entire computer system in a lightning storm. Box, router, cable modem, everything. We just replaced all of that, and I used an recent used Netgear router I picked up somewhere.

The weird thing is that it all works fine, except when you try to sign into a secure site. Once you click "submit" or whatever after typing in your info it'll time out. On some sites it'll let you sign in, just not do anything like pay bills on a bank page.

When the modem is connected directly to the computer the problem goes away. I've tried two different PCs (WinXP and 98se) and they act the same.

Any ideas? I'd just like to hear some before I go out and buy a new router. The router is in totally default configuration. All blocking and whatnot is off. Problem occurs even if the DHCP server is turned off. ISP is Comcast and I haven't had this trouble before.

wquiles

Flashaholic
First, I suspect a settings issue. Second, I like the idea of buying a new router (D-Link or Linksys would be my recommendations), but you might also try first seeing if thre is a firmware update for yours from Netgear before you give up on it.

Will

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
The router has very few settings and they're all turned off. A couple computers did the same thing so at this point I'd doubt it's a PC issue. Netgear's running the most current firmware.

turbodog

Flashaholic
I had this problem with a sonicwall and fedex's website. It turned out to be a problem with the mtu. Try lowering it from the (likely) default of 1500 to 1492.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
turbodog said:
I had this problem with a sonicwall and fedex's website. It turned out to be a problem with the mtu. Try lowering it from the (likely) default of 1500 to 1492.

In some cases it even needs to drop down to ~1435 or thereabouts.

Mad1

Enlightened
Have you try updating the firmware on the router or even a full system reset on it.

Lightmeup

Enlightened
I've had similar bizarre problems with Netgear routers before. I avoid them like the plague now. I stick to DLink and Linksys for the most part. At least I can troubleshoot them. I know this doesn't help you with this problem, but for some reason, for me Netgear equipment just seems cursed with weird problems that nobody can fix. Go figger. Just my .02.

Mad1

Enlightened
3Com, SMC. D-Link and Cisco are the networking products I like to use. I try not to use other products where possible.

Netgear do some pretty good corporate networking products but their home stuff isn't so great.

It may be time to try a different router or ring Netgear customer services.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
turbodog said:

Hmmmm. I'll remember this wierdness for future tech support myself.

Just as an fyi -- I had this same symptom with a SonicWall also but mine only occured when I had the Content Filtering Service turned on. It turned out that even if a site wasn't being blocked by the CFS I couldn't use https, nor could I use a search text box at any websites. The symptom only showed up on Macs, not on PC's. It was a very strange and annoying problem.

The resolution was to go into the diag page (<sonicIP>/diag.html), scroll to nearly the bottom and de-select the option named "Enforce Host Tag Search with for CFS" (sic)

Anyhoo, Just curious if there is there a CFS option on this here Netgear router at all? (Even though you did say everything's turned off.)

Probably best to do a "hard reset" (hold the reset button for like a bunch of seconds until the lights flash back again, following the instructions if you have them) of the router to begin with, and start troubleshooting with the factory defaults. If that works then build it back to the way you want it and test it along the way.

[edit] Ooops. You said it was at defaults already and it was reset a million times. Sorry. And if you did that I suppose you've also re-flashed the thing at least once? Re-flashing is another obvious thing because wierd things can happen and only solved by re-flash.
Well, does it have a content filter option on it? Maybe the defaults are disallowing https for some wierd reason.

Netgear Model = ???

Last edited: