P1, Q3, and an Armilite Neo T3...maybe.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK

I've got a Q3 and a 2 week old P1, I'm considering adding an Amrilite Neo-T3 to my single x123 cell collection. But is the Neo/T3 any better than the Q3 or P1 since they're all rated out to 3W? By the way, this is going to be my last light! Really!

chiphead

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had the Fenix P1 and the Amilite Neo T3. The T3 is much better IMHO, it has Greater sidespill,more throw,looks better,feels better. The Neo T3 has to be one of the best Single Cr123A flashlights out there.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've owned all three lights you mentioned at one time or another; the term "better" can be highly argumentative and totally subjective to personal likes or preferences. With that in mind, my opinion is that from a "quality" standpoint, I think the AmiLite Neo T3 IS better than the Q3 and P1. It's overall construction, look and "feel" just seem to exude better quality...that's not a "ding" against the Q3 or P1, because at their respective prices, they're both very good lights. In all fairness, I have to tell you that I sold my AmiLite within a week of receiving it...I just couldn't find a "niche" to fit it in! It was too big for a keychain, too "bulky" for a pocket, and the run-time was way too short to make it an effective utility/task light! I don't have many "shelf-queens" around; usually if I can't find a niche to fit a light in, it doesn't stick around very long, no matter how "cool" or good quality I think it is! If you're looking for a very good quality 1X123 cell light to add to your 1 cell collection, then you definitely want to get the AmiLite...it is indeed a VERY good quality 1X123 cell light to have in any collection. If you're looking for "practicality" I'd hafta say you should pass on it. In my opinion, I just don't see it as being a very "practical" light for anything, for the above-mentioned reasons. YMMV...

PJD

FirstDsent

Enlightened
I've had the T3 in my pocket since January. In my tighter fitting jeans, it is awkward, but tighter jeans don't feel good for other reasons too. Most of my pants, jeans, and shorts are "relaxed fit" and wear the T3 comfortably. It doesn't bother me a bit. Because I love the form factor, I have upgraded my T3 to a McR20 reflector, and a UWOJ Lux III star. Both are easy mods. Now my "pocket light" is the brightest light I own -for now. It blows people away when they see this tiny torch come out of my pocket and light up a house across the street better than a 4-D MagLite. It's breathtaking.

Additionally, I recently had a slight problem with the threads on mine and Amicom just sent me a new bare body and head -no questions asked. Their customer service was excellent.

Bernie

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with everyone else here.

OK, but to say that if you are happy with the output and tint of your P1, then the Amilite will add only better feel (silky smooth twist - best I've ever felt) different look, and like FirstDsent said, the ability to mod much more easily since it uses a Lux star. Where'd you get that UWOJ???
You can also more easily and reliably get it to operate on momentary when it is twisted only slightly off.
Not as pocketable as the P1, but different beam and different look & feel.
Only negative beside being a little bigger is not accepting many RCR123's.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a T3, but have wanted one since I first saw them. I do have the Q3 and P1 tho, along with several other small-single cell LED lights such as my Vital Stream (my own frankenstein setup), Jet1, Nextorch Z1, and Luxogen LR5-3W. The Q3 is a great light for the money for it's combination of attractive design, ease of modding, and good machining. The P1 is also a good value for the size, performance, and regulation it offers (personally not my favorite design). However, I wouldn't say the Q3 has the best machining...it's good, but many of my other lights are better. The P1 has good machining, but I can see where compromises were made. Tho I don't have the T3, from the various reviews and pictures I've seen of the outside and innards, it looks to have better machining and a more thought out design than the Q3 or P1. The price reflects it also tho. I still try to see how I'll use the next light I purchase so I don't have shelf queens, but I do have many lights that are similar in their characteristics/design/function. I don't have a problem with that. Even tho I still try to justify the use/need of each purchase, I do also know that beyond a light in the house and a light in my car, everything else is just for kicks. If you like the T3 and can afford it, it'd be a great addition.

Dark Vapor

Newly Enlightened
I don't have an Amilite T3, but I do have a host Amilite T3 with flupic and UXOJ running on protected rcr123 (had the battery tube bored out just a tad for fit). Too bad I'm not into twisties, or i'd edc - it's smaller than the host Q3 w/ flupic that I do edc. I don't have the P1 but did get a chance to play with it.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow fellas, I think the fog is lefting somewhat. I've only seen an Armilite on the net, but I do like its tank like build. It should fit the blousen pockets of my cargo/BDU shorts. But I'm taken aback by its rather short runtime. It's as good as mine! Thanks guys!

chiphead

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Amilite has a nicer beam than the P1, but if you're worried about size, the head is rather large compared to the rest of the light and the whole thing looks awkward next to the P1. Construction of the Amilite is fantastic.

quokked

Enlightened
I have been EDC the Neo T3 for a couple of weeks new and did a stint EDCing the Q3,
I must say that the Q3 is a great value light but the Neo T3 has just a feeling of quality that blew me away. I've carried twistes before like the ORB RAW for a stint.

I would recommend getting the Neo T3 if you want a single cell CR123 light of seriously decent quality bit with the hard anonodise otherwise just save your money and stick with the Q3 and the P1 :)
And if you are getting a Neo T3 get the Neo T3 power which is on the amilight website with a MC-R reflecter.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
quokked said:
I have been EDC the Neo T3 for a couple of weeks new and did a stint EDCing the Q3,
I must say that the Q3 is a great value light but the Neo T3 has just a feeling of quality that blew me away. I've carried twistes before like the ORB RAW for a stint.

I would recommend getting the Neo T3 if you want a single cell CR123 light of seriously decent quality bit with the hard anonodise otherwise just save your money and stick with the Q3 and the P1 :)
And if you are getting a Neo T3 get the Neo T3 power which is on the amilight website with a MC-R reflecter.
I like the Neo's contruction, it looks like something that could get run over and keep going. The metal on my Q3 feels thin, I don't dare step on it, in other words, I'll take mass! Better thermal management.

chiphead

p.s

What does Semper Paratus mean?