What to do with my 3d mag? mag85 or 35w HID bulb?

MikeHunt79

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I've got a 3d mag that is begging to be modded. It's missing the o-ring that holds in the plastic lens, but I'm sure I can get a replacement from somewhere.

Now, I'm not sure which mod I should do. I've read about the mag85 and it sounds great... 1000 lumens or so is really good for incan. I guess I could get the extras I'd need for around $100. Basically it's bulb, reflector, lens, battery holder, and maybe a but switch tinkering.

Now I'm not too worried about runtime... only brightness. Now I have an HID conversion kit for my car that I tried but didn't like... The beam was all over the place. So I now have the HID bulbs and ballists gathering dust.

I was wondering if I could use this bulb in a 3d mag? I could squeeze 12 AA's in there, and get the 14.4v that my car normally puts out. If I was to do this, I guess a new reflector and lens might be needed, but HID runs cooler than incan. Has anyone done a HID mag mod before? Also, the ballist seems quite large, so I would have to figure out some way of stuffing the ballists electronics in the mag. I'm guessing this option might be brighter than the mag85, but it might also be more difficult. So... which mod would you guys go for if you in my shoes?

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know of any 35W HID setups that can fit in a mag. Don't think it can be done. Mag85 is a pretty easy setup thats pretty pleasing.

Jeff

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Mike:)

I would try to realize the Mag HID. I have no idea about the size of the ballast, but for one reason: Mag 85 exists a lot. Your HID-Mag would be one of a kind.
When your mod will work, you could build another one with your left parts and could sell it here.

Good luck and best regards

____
Tom

Delvance

Enlightened
I really don't think you're going to find a 35W ballast that fits in a 3D mag. Have a look at the all the 24W HIDs available...even the smallest ones (like the K2000R for eg) still have a diameter that is a fair bit larger than a mag body. 10W hid on the other hand...would fit.
Personally i would go with a M@g85. Instant restrike available, no warm up time, cheaper maintenance and it's a nice classic to build/own i'd say.

If you want to have a look at some mag hid mods...look at the creations of cpf member Cmacclel.

GL either way though, if you manage to make a 35W HID in a mag host, please post pics! That would be very nice indeed.

Protaeus

Enlightened
The reason why the aftermarket HID kit doesnt work is probably because it requires a projector - an optic used to focus the beam correctly. In 99% of cases, retrofit HID kits using stock reflectors dont work and the only thing achieved is high glare and a beacon to passing cops.

MikeHunt79

Newly Enlightened
I've managed to rip apart the ballist, and you're right... it won't fit in the Mag.

Looks like I'm gonna go for the hotwire. I'll probably be able to sell the hid kit to fund the Mag85.:)