• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Not Much Interest? Feeler Finned MagHead replacement with CB and HA-III Coating ???

petrev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi

Not Much Interest ? Feeler - Cool-Finned MagHead replacement with CB and HA-III Coating ? So . . .

Now I'm trying out some bigger wattage lamps like the Osram IRCs and the 100w bulbs out there my old plain MagHead is getting very hot quite quickly !

So to help slow the process and get some more runtime before the HD or PIR temp sensor cuts off the juice (plus I reckon it will look good too) . . .

How about this - A Cool-Finned MagHead and a Finned-CB

(D-Size Head Shown - C size as well depending . . . )

Hard Anodised using Aerospace Alloy-6082 HAIII-Grey(Natural) or HAIII-Black (or if anyone wanted Al-2014-Bare Shiny)

Crenellated-Bezel designed to fit standard head as well ! C or D !
Finned+Minimal CB if requested

Trying to get the cost down to the $90-99 range for the full kit with options for extras like 6-AntiRoll flutes and Glow-Holes as requested.

Any Questions ? Comments ? And anything else . . .

Cheers Pete

Last edited:

petrev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Feeler - Cool-Finned MagHead replacement with CB and HA-III Coating

10 ?

Last edited:

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

How about a version with a flat recess for Luxeon5 stars to mount?
With room for 4 so20 reflectors to be placed on top of the stars.
In other words a mag head made specifically for stars to be mounted inside of.
I would love something like that for my next miniquad 2c.

nuggett

Enlightened

Thats very nice and just what I am looking for
Are these for c or d cells?
I would like a turn key setup complete with AA cell holder and bulb and bulb holder.
thanks

petrev

Flashlight Enthusiast

nuggett said:
Thats very nice and just what I am looking for
Are these for c or d cells?
I would like a turn key setup complete with AA cell holder and bulb and bulb holder.
thanks

nuggett
- Yes - Showing D-Cell Head but with enough interest would make a C-Cell version.

AndrewWynn (AWR) will shortly have a new holder on CPF that should fit most needs and he does the almost obligatory HD-Kiu kit for Hotwire regulation.

3rd_shift
- Sorry no knowlege of LED stuff

cnjl3

Enlightened

Hello Petrev!
I see that you have been busy.
I do have a question only because I happen to have both styles in my possession.
I have one of FM's 3D finned HAIII host and even though it has fins I question its cooling ability. On the other side of the coin I have two bezels that were finned by "Cmacclel" and the only difference between the two is that with FM's version the bezel was first finned and then the HAIII coating was applied which coats everything including all the surfaces between the fins.
Here is my question:
Is applying the HAIII coating after the bezel is finned--the best solution?
I think that if cooling is an issue the finning of the bezel and/ or other parts should be after the coating is applied. Then you will have no coating to retain any heat. I just happen to think that bare alumn will dissipate more heat.
Am I the only one who feels this is an issue?
What are your thoughts?

CYL

Carlos

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast

are these entire maglites? I'd hate to have to match up colors?

dksd39

Newly Enlightened

I would be in for at least one C---maybe more if it is the complete light.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast

Has anyone actually tested a finned head to see if the possible increase in radiation offsets the definite reduction of the heat sink?

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you are going to be making them from scratch, as apposed to just modifying real Mag heads, then I would like to se a 3" head. My favorites are the FM-3V (Fivemega 3V) and the FM-3H.

FM-3V shown here on the left.

petrev

Flashlight Enthusiast

cnjl3 said:
Hello Petrev!
I see that you have been busy.
I do have a question only because I happen to have both styles in my possession.
I have one of FM's 3D finned HAIII host and even though it has fins I question its cooling ability. On the other side of the coin I have two bezels that were finned by "Cmacclel" and the only difference between the two is that with FM's version the bezel was first finned and then the HAIII coating was applied which coats everything including all the surfaces between the fins.
Here is my question:
Is applying the HAIII coating after the bezel is finned--the best solution?
I think that if cooling is an issue the finning of the bezel and/ or other parts should be after the coating is applied. Then you will have no coating to retain any heat. I just happen to think that bare alumn will dissipate more heat.
Am I the only one who feels this is an issue?
What are your thoughts?

CYL

Carlos

Hi Carlos

If you have one of each can you try any direct comparisons ? I have only seen Cmacclel finned heads not bezels.

Coating then machining would not leave much coating with the nice rounded fin design !

To quote one source
" 4. THERMAL PROPERTIES
The thermal conductivity of the anodic coating is between one tenth and one thirtieth of that of aluminium. The emissivity of aluminium increases rapidly as the thickness of the anodic layer is built up increasing to 80% for a 10 micron coating. A thick hard anodic coating is therefore well on the way to being a "black body" for heat dissipation, and there is very little advantage in dying it black as is sometimes done. "

Apparently HA is used in solar collectors and frying pans !

jar3ds & dksd39

Just looking at Heads and Bezels at the moment.

Way too many varients of body nD/nC/nD.5/3Bore/4Bore . . .

If anyone has seen the recent HA Mag thread then you will have seen that there is no perfect match with even all-new Mags as they appear to use different alloys for different parts.

Try HA-Black for a reasonable match or HA-Grey to be different !

Mike Painter

A bit Bigger than standard head for increased mass and surface area - so no reduction of the heat sink.

JimH

Not a much bigger head - so that your favourite replacement mirror (SMO-MOP-HOP-LS-HS . . . ) and lens still fits and its not too much bigger for everyday use - just Cooler !

Also FM is bound to do another 3" offering soon !

Cheers Pete

cnjl3

Enlightened

petrev said:
Hi Carlos

If you have one of each can you try any direct comparisons ? I have only seen Cmacclel finned heads not bezels.

Coating then machining would not leave much coating with the nice rounded fin design !

Cheers Pete

Okay you got me:)

Yes i happen to have all three types of heads(I keep calling them bezels-sorry)

I have one FM HAIII finned head and two stock heads finned by Cmacclel and then i have two stock heads not finned so i guess in the next few nights i will be trying to make some comparison to see which style head runs the coolest using the same battery pack,same bulb,same reflector, same boro lens. Am i forgetting anything?

CYL

Carlos

petrev

Flashlight Enthusiast

cnjl3 said:
Okay you got me:)

Yes i happen to have all three types of heads(I keep calling them bezels-sorry)

I have one FM HAIII finned head and two stock heads finned by Cmacclel and then i have two stock heads not finned so i guess in the next few nights i will be trying to make some comparison to see which style head runs the coolest using the same battery pack,same bulb,same reflector, same boro lens. Am i forgetting anything?

CYL

Carlos

Hi Carlos

Nice one - That experiment would be very useful and could be very illuminating !

Torch orientation, burn time, any variation in ambient temp. and any wind flow ? ! ? Thermal Imaging camera would be nice . . .

I always forget something but I can't remember what ! :thinking:

Cheers Pete

flex76italy

Enlightened

Hi Pete,

interesting project, count me in for D head......waiting for the news.

:goodjob:

Cliffnopus

Enlightened

I'll take one C and one D size. Looks good. :goodjob:

Cliff

cnjl3

Enlightened

Okay I have the results of my testing but I am not sure what they mean:
I have run other bulbs a lot longer than the 100wattage bulb used below.
For instance I ran a WA1160 70mins @ 6.6volts and recorded the head temp
@ 122degrees F at cut off.
But for this test I wanted the results relatively quickly so that is why I chose the 100watt Osram 62138 bulb.
Oh yeah, needless to say after the light cut off due to the thermal protection the head was too hot to hold in my hand. I stood the flashlight on its tailcap during each test run. Ambient temp was the same during all the testing, no wind (inside home),thermal imaging equipment due at the end of the week(yeah right! don't hold your breathJ)
M*G 3D host, 12AA CBP 1650's, heavy stipple camless reflector, 62138 100w bulb, boro lens:
FM Head:
Temp @ 1min 87.7 f --Time to reach 100degrees 3:25mins
Temp @ cutoff 111.6f --Time @cutoff 4:19mins

Cmacclel Head:
Temp @ 1min 87.3 f -- Time to reach 100degrees 2:55mins
Temp @cutoff 111.2f --Time @cutoff 4:14mins

Stock head:
Temp @1min 85.6 f -- Time to reach 100degress 3:00mins
Temp @cutoff 115.0f -- Time @cutoff 4:36mins

The FM has HAIII finish, the red one is Cmacclel and the black one is stock:

DSC02965.jpg

Like I said I am confused with the results. Anyone care to comment?

Edited 08/13/2006:

same 3D host, same heads, same reflector, head screwed all the way down but off two complete turns from bottom to ensure same focus distance, starting temperature 78 degrees F, Bulb used IRC 35w @ 18.6volts with 18 IB1400s cooled by a sharper image tower fan same speed (middle) flashlight same distance from the fan on all tests:
Cmcclel:
96.1f @ 8mins -----96.4f @ 9min -----96.8f @ 10mins -----97.0f @ 11mins
97.2v @ 12mins ---97.5f @ 13mins ---97.8f @ 14mins -----98.0f @ 15mins

FM HAIII:
94.3f @ 8mins -----94.8f @ 9mins -----95.2f @ 10mins -----95.5f @ 11mins
96.1f @ 12mins ----96.4f@ 13mins ----96.6f @ 14mins -----97.2 @ 15mins

Stock head:
99.7f @ 8mins ----100.6f @ 9mins ----101.3f @ 10mins ----101.7f @ 11mins
102.2f @ 12mins --102.6f @ 13mins ---102.9f @ 14mins ----103.1f @ 15mins

Okay there you have it -sure looks like the fins help in a breeze (if its blowing).

CYL
smile.gif

Last edited:

rdh226

Enlightened

cnjl3 said:

M*G 3D host, 12AA CBP 1650's, heavy stipple camless reflector, 62138 100w bulb, boro lens:
FM Head:
Cmacclel Head:
Stock head:

Like I said I am confused with the results. Anyone care to comment?
Rerun each one 10 - 20 times to get statistically-meaningful spread.

Seriously...a sample size of one is not very significant. Three runs with identical numbers starts
becoming significant. And yes, it's a real PITA to gather...

To make sure I understand, you are using the same reflector assembly in all three cases, and
the same lens? By same, I mean ONE reflector used in the three different heads.

The same "focus" (distance from lamp to reflector/lens)?

I suspect just the batteries introduces a significant -- and uncontrolled -- variable; if you can use a
bench supply, you would eliminate a major unknown (not to mention the hassle of continuously
having to recharge your batteries...)

How do you "reset" the temperatures of all the components? (How long do you wait for everything to
return to nominal room temperature?) Did you measure the starting temperature before you started
each run? Of the batteries (getting back to advantages of using a bench supply)?

Overall, your numbers are all pretty similar ("same ballpark" fer sur), and about what I would have
guessed, spread-wise (i.e., pretty close). I would similarly expect to see greater spread (with finned
heads lasting longer) in a good cooling breeze. But of course that's guessing, which is the whole
point of your gathering "hard" numbers!

-RDH

petrev

Flashlight Enthusiast

cnjl3 said:
I have run other bulbs a lot longer than the 100wattage bulb used below.
For instance I ran a WA1160 70mins @ 6.6volts and recorded the head temp
@ 122degrees F at cut off.
But for this test I wanted the results relatively quickly so that is why I chose the 100watt Osram 62138 bulb.
Oh yeah, needless to say after the light cut off due to the thermal protection the head was too hot to hold in my hand. I stood the flashlight on its tailcap during each test run. Ambient temp was the same during all the testing, no wind (inside home),thermal imaging equipment due at the end of the week(yeah right! don't hold your breathJ)
FM Head:

Cmacclel Head:

Stock head:

. . .

Hi Carlos

Thanks for this. :goodjob:

Seems like, as said by RDH, Pretty similar in radiant terms across the three.

Maybe FM shows slightly better in the Time to 100F test ! but apart from that all within reasonable variation the same.

So now . . .

We need results for a test with the torch horizontal to allow convection flow up the fins and if possible (either combined or as two tests) a steady controlled light air flow (one of those mini hand held fans if you had one ?) to mimic "open air in the woods strolling at night" scenario. :whistle:

If you have the time and will that would be great !

Cheers Pete

Last edited:

cnjl3

Enlightened

rdh226:
yes I am using the same reflector(one) in each separate head.
I tighten the head all the way down onto the body and unscrew two complete turns so that the focus distance is the same for all three heads.
While I top off the battery pack between tests – the body of the flashlight returns back to room temperature (my thermostat is set to 76degrees F).
I don't have a bench DC power supply so it is a hassle to charge the pack, but it allows everything else to cool off and gives me time to set up the next head.

BTW- i ran the the three heads again last night and it was pretty much the same results.

I do have a small electric fan that I can direct towards the heads to see how much the run time is extended. I think I will try that nextJ