• no

Votes: 81 87.1%
  • yes

Votes: 12 12.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kc2ouf

Newly Enlightened
I am curious as to how many here on CPF are color-blind. I am red/green color-blind. Except for picking out bad clothing combos and not being allowed in the Navy I've managed...

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have this version:

Protanopia: Lacking the long-wavelength sensitive retinal cones, those with this condition are unable to distinguish between colours in the green-yellow-red section of the spectrum. They have a neutral point at a wavelength of 492 nm—that is, they cannot discriminate light of this wavelength from white. Their sensitivity to light in the orange and red part of the spectrum is also reduced. Very few people have been found who have one normal eye and one protanopic eye. These unilateral dichromats report that with only their protanopic eye open, they see wavelengths below the neutral point as blue and those above it as yellow. This is a rare form of colour blindness.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
I would say mine is not serious since I never knew of it beforehand, but when I applied to the military, testing in Bethesda revealed a slight red-green color blindness. The Air Force was willing to work with me on it, but I wound up not entering the service.

daloosh

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
i don't think so but hte more I mess with my green laser... the less Greens stand out to me (for a short period... nothing long term)

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I couple of colour test pics.

colorblindtest1.gif

colorblindtest2.gif

regards.

GalvanickLucifer

Newly Enlightened
TinderBox (UK) said:
I couple of colour test pics.

colorblindtest1.gif

colorblindtest2.gif

regards.

Any hints? I see all colors as far as I know, but have a definite area/intensity threshold that must be exceeded before I can tell it is a color as opposed to some shade of grey. Apparently a low density of rods or cones - whichever it is that sense color.

cyberhobo

Enlightened
I know a guy that went Nuke program in the Navy (sharp as a tack). After he signed his life away, they told him he was color blind. It's a shame, they chucked a broom in his hand a told em' to start a sweep'n and a swab'n for six years.

cerbie

Enlightened
No, but my dad is r/g, and every now and then, he needs help checking colors of wires (pastel gray and purple are the worst). It's odd, because he can tell what color something is as long
as a similar lightness/saturation version of the 'other' color isn't nearby.

BTW, are those pics 10 and 8? I'm inclined to think use of a monitor makes it easier tosee, but I also know that some of those dot things are made where someone colorblind and not each see a number, but they see different ones.

GalvanickLucifer

Newly Enlightened
TinderBox (UK) said:
the top pic is a 10 and the bottom is an 8.

I can see them fine, It could be your monitor setting.

regards.

Nope. Definitely my eyes. I fail the standard color blindness test which consists of a bunch of cards just like the pictures above. I get the first couple but see nothing in the rest of them. After being told the first had a 10 and the second one had an 8, I can stair at them for a while and see them, but its really hard - more a process of pattern matching than color detection for me.

The Army was much nicer to me than the Navy was to cyberhobo's friend. The doctor administering the color test grabbed a short length of 26-pair telecoms cable (like cat-5 cable but with 26 pairs) and had me point out the different colored strands she named. I was able to do that and kept my scholarship (didn't have to swab decks or clean toilets thank goodness.)

allthatwhichis

Enlightened
Nope, I see well in all wave lengths. My girlfriend might argue that; I don't match colors well it seems. :ohgeez: She says it has something to do with having a *****. :ironic: This thread makes me a little more thankful for my eyesight. May have to spend a little more money today on goggles... Off to eBay... again.

Gwaihir

Newly Enlightened
I am red/green color-blind :candle:
And my grandfather was too.
But I can distinguish red or green if they are vivid.
I can see that grass is green, and that blood is red.
But sometimes cannot see green text on a red background, and vice versa.

Brento

Newly Enlightened
Gwaihir said:
I am red/green color-blind :candle:
But I can distinguish red or green if they are vivid.
I can see that grass is green, and that blood is red.
But sometimes cannot see green text on a red background, and vice versa.

i have the exact same problem with colors.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i definatly am not colorblind but cannot read black text on blue or vice versa.
other color problems i have are errors reading color codes on resistors under crummy fluorescent lights.
i either go outside or as i have done at home and the shop install high cri "full spectrum"tubes.
i have phillips 950 tubes in every fixture at home and when i go to a neighbors place everything looks sick under cheap tubes.
i must be ok otherwise since i can set greyscale on tv's and monitors better than the automated factory setup.
surprising just how sloppy they can be right out of the box.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
my mom was in alabama several weeks ago visiting my brother, and at a local walmart, there was a guy doing demonstrations on contacts to correct color blindness. apparently, he had a kid do some color tests, and didn't get many right. after the contacts were in he got them all correct.
the guy said he was the first man in the states to market these, and they were developed in australia or somewhere of the sort.

Ousanas

Newly Enlightened
I am colorblind, and those pictures mean nothing to me... just like last time I took a CB test :) I just ask my 3 year old what color something is if I'm not sure.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Interesting subject here since I don't think that I'm color-deficient. There's this "test" we took while at the painter's apprenticeship program. They have these "pegs" that you put in order according to the color arrangement from light to dark. To see if one got the "gradient" correctly ordered, just flip it over and see if the numbers line up chronologically.

They mentioned that either one gets it the first time, or one can be trained. The others may never get it. . .