Potential mods to a Streamlight TwinTask 1L?

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
I'm thinking of picking up a SL TT 1L to use as a battery sucker, it's a little more convenient than the Inova 24/7, however, i was wondering if the following mod would be possible....

the incan bulb in the TT series is a bi-pin bulb, how difficult would it be to yoink that bulb and replace it with a 5mm red LED (like lets say from one of those Princeton Tec Squeezylights), that way i'd have the three white LED's for normal use, and a power-efficient red LED to truly drain the battery to nothing

is this possible or feasable?

dulridge

Enlightened
Nice thought. I tried it (which tok about 2 minutes - 1.6 of those minutes were spent going out to the car to fetch the light). I have found the World's Dimmest Red LED which I confidently expect to give me about 9 decades of runtime. Not that it gives any usable light though :(

I have a 3mm red one in just now. With dark adapted eyes in the cupboard where I keep my server the usable range of the LED was about 9 inches. Throw monster it isn't :) As you can see the keyboard LED about ten feet away is probably brighter!

DCP_3061.jpg

Apologies for the rotten pic, my camera has had a very hard life

Dobbler

Enlightened
Anyone else replace the Xeon with any LED module? My Xeon went caput.