I Received my Surefire PKEF (5K) in the Mail Today!!

Virgo

Newly Enlightened
I'm still playing with this thing trying to familiarize myself with its workings. I have never had the opportunity to play with a U2, so the adjustor ring on the bezel is new to me, as is the 2 stage clicky. Man this thing is cool. The 5K definitely refers to the color temperature of the light, as this beam is warmer than those posted of the 8K. I really like both cool and warm tints, depending on the application, so I would really like to get an 8K as well. (My wallet just wimpered
mpr.gif
.)
I just wanted to share a few pics. Sorry for the low resolution, but all I've got is the camera on my cell phone
jpshakehead.gif
. I'm thinking of naming her Lucy. (real original, I know
icon6.gif
)

PKEFmine1.jpg

PKEFmine2.jpg

PKEFmine3.jpg

PKEFmine4.jpg

PKEFmine5.jpg

A rarity for sure. I thought that maybe I would not want a Kroma after getting this, but now I want one even more. :naughty:

Last edited:

Mad1

Enlightened
Re: I Received my PKEF 5K in the Mail Today!!

Who did you have to kill to get that little beauty? :laughing:

Virgo

Newly Enlightened
I am going to have to wait until it gets dark to fully test it out, but I have been comparing it to the new KL3 I have. The hotspot is a good deal larger than that of the KL3 and it has a warmer tint. Both look very white until compared side by side. I will try to get some beamshots, but am guessing that my phone cam will not be able to capture them.

EricMack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats, man! I had just a few minutes to grab a few shots too! :)

Cool light, isn't it? :whistle:

PKEF2.jpg

PKEF1.jpg

:grin2:

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Virgo, if you don't mind me asking, where did you purchase your light and how much did your credit card suffer. I do like the looks of this light and would love to have one.(along with several others on the forum) Thanks :)

Mad1

Enlightened
dizzy said:
Virgo, if you don't mind me asking, where did you purchase your light and how much did your credit card suffer. I do like the looks of this light and would love to have one.(along with several others on the forum) Thanks :)

Thats what I was asking when i asked "who did you have to kill..." :lolsign:

Any chance of a PM. ;)

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow!!! What a beautiful looking light!!!

Spill the beans guys. Hows the performance? Output/throw....etc.....

Time to pray to the Light Gods.....

WP

Virgo

Newly Enlightened
WAVE_PARTICLE said:
Wow!!! What a beautiful looking light!!!

Spill the beans guys. Hows the performance? Output/throw....etc.....

Time to pray to the Light Gods.....

WP

I just messed around outside a little with it now that it's finally dark, although the moon is pretty bright right now. The secondary LEDs actually put out enough light to be really useful. The primary LED is pretty impressive IMO. It puts out a large square beam with lots of throw. Similar to the most current KL3 but with a much larger spot for usable light. Mine has a really nice warm tint (5K) that (what's the right term?) gives an preserves the natural outdoor colors. Not at all washed out. The light is a very nice matte black HAIII ano.
I haven't yet gotten to run times or if it gets warm with continuous use. I'm still familiarizing myself with the two stage clicky and the bezel ring adjuster. Trying to play with it a bunch tonight, because it's going into the safe. Definitely a keeper.:)

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is this new SF creation? Is it a Kroma but with a 5W rather than a 3W? Is this a prototype? Are more planned? Is the tailcap a 2 stage or a clicky - it looks like a clicky since it the button doesn't stick out much. carl

Virgo

Newly Enlightened
carl said:
What is this new SF creation? Is it a Kroma but with a 5W rather than a 3W? Is this a prototype? Are more planned? Is the tailcap a 2 stage or a clicky - it looks like a clicky since it the button doesn't stick out much. carl

It is an experimental flashlight most likely used to develop the production Kromas. It is a 5W LED behind a TIR lens and the surrounding LEDs are 5mm instead of three. The bezel is 2". I believe according to current info that there are less than 200 worldwide. The 5K refers to 5000 Kelvin and there is an 8K (8000 Kelvin) that is cooler in beam color. Because they were research and development for a production model, no more are planned. The tailcap is a 2 stage clicky. There are 3 models. One has red/blue LEDs, one has red/green LEDs, and one has infrared/blue LEDs with all models having a main white 5 watter.

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Virgo said:
......there are less than 200 worldwide. ......Because they were research and development for a production model, no more are planned....

That would probably make these lights the rarest Surefires of them all that are (were) available to the public.

This is good news for everyone, though. At least we know this:

1) Surefire has considered a 5W TIR Optic setup for a light.
2) Surefire has toyed with the idea of controlling light temperature.
3) Surefire may have plans for a two-stage clicky for some of their future products.
4) Surefire is becoming more willing to share their R&D experimentals with us.

It's all a glimpse into what might be in the future for Surefire products. Kind of exciting and moving in a good direction! :thumbsup:

....now.....to get my grubby hands on one.....

WP

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Virgo for your answers. I've heard of a 2 stage and a clicky but what is a 2 stage clicky?