What is Mag's self-cleaning switch?

greenLED

Flashaholic
It's part of the clicking mechanism - it doesn't become fouled with gunk, like the Kroll does.

Chris201W

Enlightened
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe self-cleaning switches typically have two pieces of metal that slide next to each other to make contact as opposed to two pieces that simply press up against each other. The fact that they are sliding up against each other keeps them free of dirt and debris. It works the same way headphone jacks do.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Older D-cell Mag-Lites, Magchargers, and C-cell models have a flat metal disk. When you click the swith the disk is brought into contact with two metal wipers, and simultaniuously rotated. Great switch.

Newer D-cell Mags have a metal ring that rubs against two wipers. It's not as good as the old one (both for cleaning and pure design purposes), but still self-cleaning.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
The connector/switch/relay industries call it "wiping" action. It does add to switching reliability.

Larry

juancho

Enlightened
The two wipers are nickel plated steel and the ring is made out of silver, sometimes even in new lights it come heavily tarnished, it helps to polish it bright and protect it and the wipers with PRO-GOLD.
That is what I do in all my lights to improve the electrical path.

maginternals.jpg

Regards
Juan C.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a new-style switch, for those who haven't seen one. Actually, just the contact cartridge--it plugs into the greater switch assembly. It replaced the older simple, heavy one mainly for ease of automated assembly. Many more parts than the old one, but it seems to be faster to put together without lots of fiddly hand stuff. I'm guessing it's not used in the C-cells because they don't have the diamter to hold it, and the MC just needs a higher quality switch.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
None exactly like this, it's patented after all. Many lights with clickie switches offer various degrees of self-cleaning. But unless they market it you can't tell until you take one apart.