USB 5v to power accent LED's

icest0rm

Newly Enlightened
USB 5v to power accent LED\'s

I have a few blue and white LEDs taped to my computer desk in such a way as to give accent light to the keyboard for late computing sessions in a darkened room. I've been running these LEDs on 4 AA Nimh but I keep forgetting to flip the switch off. Would it be possible to connect the LEDs to the 5v supply voltage off of a USB hub without toasting my PC?

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Re: USB 5v to power accent LED\'s

Should work fine. Don't have the specs handy, but USB is good for *at least* an Amp. Select appropriate current limiting resistors for your LEDs. And welcome to the forums!

Larry

CiTY

Enlightened

All the led lights for notebooks plug into the USB port. I have a couple of Targus led lights that plug into the USB port. Got it for $3 after rebate. The build should be straight forward, good luck.

Floating Spots

Enlightened

All devices start out 100mah, then high speed devices ask for and are allocated 500mah. The item to avoid is high inrush current.

Entropy

Enlightened

I thought it was 100 mA for some devices, 500 mA for others. (I believe that a 500 mA device is required to report itself as high-power, not sure.)