Pocketable (with clip) EDC Suggestions

sodakar

Newly Enlightened
Apologies for the selfish thread, but I've been away for a good year due to work, and despite two weeks of non-stop reading here + LEDMuseum + Quickbeam + Brock's sites, I haven't gotten caught up yet... ...am hoping you folks would find it in your heart to help me out...

I'm looking to upgrade my L4, and am looking for a compact, pocketable, pocket-clip, push-button/clickie, LED, high-output (Lux3+), well-made flashlight. Would prefer a CR123-based light with optics pointed upward, and with variable output, if possible. I don't have an infinite budget, but I'm aware of how much premium lights cost, so that's not too big of a concern...

I've already bought and tried out a bunch of lights, but none of them have worked out:
- E1e + KL1 / L1 = output too low
- E2e = not LED, bought L4
- Fire~Fly II = no clickie, no clip
- C3/L2/L5 = too long
- U2 = a bit large; optics pointed down got mauled by keys
- Arc4 = great choice, until I gave it away; no more stock?

It _seems_ like the only light that fits my picky requirements is the HDS EDC, which I am trying to get, or wait a year for Peter to hopefully pop out a K2-based Arc5... Can you folks think of anything else that might work?

Thanks in advance for your patience and feedback,

majr

Newly Enlightened
I have to agree on the HDS ECD, the b42 for $90 with a S--H lux1 or U--J lux3 is a pretty awesome light. (they are still really good in stock form too)

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
The HDS Basic 42 XRGT is probably the best deal I"ve ever seen on any flashlight. It is really neat and of very high quality.

sodakar

Newly Enlightened
Thanks again for the suggestions...

I would agree that the 42-series is a steal at ~$100, but going from my EDC of L2/L4, I'm not sure if the drop to a 42 would be too noticable.

In the meantime, I'm willing to buy a 42-series for now, but unfortunately, XRGT's are out of stock everywhere... :(

Was the 85-series a one-time/short-term thing? As in, should I wait for the 85, or another light from HDS to come out, or should I just buy a 42/60-series?

Thanks for any help...

Norm

Retired Administrator
sodakar said:
Was the 85-series a one-time/short-term thing? As in, should I wait for the 85, or another light from HDS to come out, or should I just buy a 42/60-series?

Thanks for any help...

Don't wait even if HDS release something else down the line the 42/60 will always have very good resale value.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS 42 for $90 or the 60 XR GT if you want to really do it up at twice the money. What about the Ultimate HDS? It offers alot if you can comprehend all the features.

I recall the HDS 85. I agree with what's been posted here saying that the close out on the HDS42 could mean a new model is on the horizon.

Then again there's always the Surefire A2 with it's beautiful, fog/mist cutting regulated beam and it's LEDs

sodakar

Newly Enlightened
Norm said:
Don't wait even if HDS release something else down the line the 42/60 will always have very good resale value.

Good point. Actually, it's not so much or the cost or resale value that's causing me to balk -- it's the lower output, and inability to get a GTXR.

I suppose I should just get a GT or XR and settle. Hmph.

As for the A2 suggestion... The A2 is still too long -- I tried it, but no luck. Thanks for all the input!