looking for a HUGE THROWER

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
i am looking for a flashlight that is a big thrower... must be able to use 18650s, and must have a turbohead. I am looking at the wolfeyes m100x or the g&p r500.....

i am worried about beam artifacts and i am not sure about the g&p because i hear the bulbs blow to easily....

also, threads must be very strong and smooth, and it has to be at least "dunkable."

any suggesions?

EDIT: 18650s are fully protected.

-David

Last edited:

vacuum3d

Enlightened
The M100 throws more than my Mag85 on a Fivemega 3" head. It has more throw than the UltraStinger. I have no incand light that out-throws the M100. I'm using the 12v bulb with the 1/2 123 extension, using three 17500. It has the narrowest beam I've seen... proabably no more than 1 degree if you adjust it right.
However, my light with the most throw is the Mag 10W HID. Nothing comes close. I don't have any higher power HID, so I can't comment on other HIDs. It will be difficult for any incand light to reach as far as any o' HID IMO.

ernest

Last edited:

Protaeus

Enlightened
mwahahahaha

Surefire M4-6!!!!

Uses 18650s
Has a turbo head
500+ lumens for 20 minutes or 225 lumens for 1 hour
dunkable
surefire quality
simple to make (Just bore out a regular m4)
throws like all hell
perfect beam pattern (large hotspt with equal flood)
surefire quality threads

Delvance

Enlightened
Another option...ROP L/E with a LOP reflector. 2C mag with 2 18650s and a #3854 high bulb. Should get you over 30,000 lux easy with fresh cells...not quite as elegant as a factory produced light though i guess...but does have the cool factor of "hey, look at what my maglite 2C can do!"

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok, i am interested in making ROP, but i need to know what to buy, how much, and whether the runtime is good. Thanks

-David

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am worried about beam quality, i want a flawless beam.

-David

logan

Newly Enlightened
I dream about a Surefire M4, bored, with 18650 and 5w turbo module :sleepy:

SCblur

Enlightened
If you check out the ROP sticky at the top of the incan section, there is a wealth of information there for buying parts and assembling the various incarnations of the ROP.

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
cheapo said:
I am worried about beam quality, i want a flawless beam.

-David

Flawless beam AND huge throw... that might give some trouble. You will get best throw with a smooth reflector, but a flawless beam is hard to achieve without orange peel or stippled reflector. But those will reduce throw quite a bit.

If beam quality is so important to you, I think a ready made solution like the Surefire M-series will suit your needs best. That way you know what you get instead of having to mix & match parts to get it just right...

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
its too many parts to buy.... i guess a factory light would be best... can anyone tell me about the m100x or g&p in terms of beam quality?

-David

Last edited:

Delvance

Enlightened
ROP hi won't work with protected 18650s. A LOP reflector won't give you the perfect looking beam you're after. Rather, light stipple will and by then...the throw performance would be just like a turboheaded SF.

LOP small hole reflectors with the hi bulb gives a "bar" (imagine a thick brush) of light, with the middle of the "bar" being a great bright hotspot.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok, i really dont know about the g&p do to the bad bulb life.... not sure about wether the wolfeyes m100x uses an aluminum reflector.

-David

Last edited:

SunStar

Enlightened
Protaeus - Does the MN21 require multiple clicks to fire using 18650's? Also can you recommend anyone that will professionally machine bore an M4 tube or offers them for sale? Thanks:)

Protaeus

Enlightened
Nope, only a single click is required to turn on the MN21 when using LG 18650 unprotected cells. As far as I know, you can only use unprotected cells with the MN21 as it draws about 4.5 amps.

As for a boring service, most of the people that I have heard of have done it themselves. However, I believe if you're in the states, Hburner has offered to bore out M4s for people in the past.

SunStar

Enlightened
Thanks Protaeus! I too prefer the M4 to the M6 and the option to add the MN21 would further add to its versatility. I need to make this happen.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
i wonder how the pila gl4 throws on 18650s.

-David