Why are most choosing the Fenix P1 over the Jet 1 with CR123 tube?

dmz

Enlightened
Why are most choosing the Fenix P1 over the Jet 1 with CR123 tube? Is it because the Jet 1 with CR123 tube cost more.

frisco

Enlightened
The P1 has a knurled head and makes one hand twisty operation very easy. The JetBeam on the other hand has a very smooth finish on the head and seems much harder to one hand operate.

My fav JetBeam set-up is with the AA body useing a 14500 battery.

frisco

havand

Enlightened
Yeah, i would say price. I'm waiting for mine. Bought everything. After the fact I realized i'd only really want he AA config and possibly the 123a. *shrugs* oh well

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
First may be availability since it took a long time for Jetbeam to fix a problem after shipping started and the first batch was just that, a batch. The P1 has been available in production since just after the Jet-1 and some people that pre-ordered the Jet-1 later ordered a P1, but then got the Fenix first. I was lucky to get my Jet early - I didn't order it with Tritium, which was the delay.

The Jet-1 is only sold as a 1AA with the CR123 body as an added cost option, so it is more costly if you only want the CR123. I think this is just plain silly, but that's the way it is.

The one hand turn-on ergonomics are better on the P1. The Jet has a very smooth head and sometimes takes two hands to turn on. I put a section of inner tube on mine and it works well.

I have kept my Luxeon lottery winning Jet-1 because it is the brightest, whitest, and smallest 1xR123 light I own. On RCR123 it is just as bright as my HDS B60, but smaller. The P1 is a tiny bit smaller, lighter, and more rounded for easier pocketability, but mine just wasn't as bright or as white. I enjoy turning the Jet on every single day. Of course, YMMV. I may try a couple more P1's, or an upgrade to my FireFly, and if I get one very close to my Jet, I will probably sell it.

aceo07

Enlightened
I'd have to agree with what everybody else has said before so far.

P1 was released first, AFAIK.
P1 is supposed to be a CR123 flashlight.
P1 is smaller.

Jet-I is a AA flashlight.
Jet-I offers CR123 tube as purchase option.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blindasabat hit it on the nail. The ergonomics for one-handed operation is better on the P1 and the price is considerably less if you don't care about the AA/14500 compatibility. My Jet1 is pretty easy to turn, so I don't mind the smoothness, so I would prefer more grip. I also like the feature of the sapphire window, but that may or may not matter much to others. I prefer the styling of the Jet1 over the P1, but that's also personal preference. As Blind stated, it's the brightest, whitest LED light I own in an extremely small package. It impresses everyone I show. I also love the dark grey finish. Now that more competition for the ultra-small 1x123A twistie lights have come out (along with more competition for AA lights), were I to do it again, I would've likely not gotten the Jet1 and would get a Luxogen LR5-3W instead. It offers very similar styling, has the same smooth-head issue (an o-ring works great, but like my Jet1, the Luxogen is easy to twist, so I haven't had probs with it's smoothness), great features such as glass lens that competitors in this lowest price range (like the Ultrafire WF-602D) don't have, and costs considerably less. The P1 tho is still very well machined, has very good HA, and twists easily due to the knurling.

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
There was a rather lukewarm response to those of us who received the original Jetbeams. I got mine months after the first people got theirs, and there were some cosmetic issues (anodizing color mismatches, glowpaint, etc). Great beam and great output. But it was an first run from a new company who couldn't deliver on all the original promises.

Fenix however is a proven performer and everybody knows what to expect (good or otherwise) from them.

The Jet-1 Mk.2 looks like they're getting more "on track", but it still might be a while before they garner a reputation that sells them more of their lights.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
meep. i think it is more of the price then most other stuff.

but hey, they both have around the same throw...

i want something that is way throwie.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Fenix however is a proven performer and everybody knows what to expect (good or otherwise) from them."

I know when I got mt L1T from Fenix it was a horrible green,not what I expected from fenix.My L2 P is way better tint.Im hoping the Jet Beam is as white as the 1st run.

Mattia5

Newly Enlightened
I love my jetbeam and use it daily. It feels good to have it in your hand and its nice to look at. Everytime I turn it on it amazes me. I choose it because it is a work of art where I more see fenix like high end Walmart?