I dont understand.

Mihlrad

Newly Enlightened
I was just curious what you guys find in collecting flashlights. Please no one take offensive to this, but what can you really do with a collection of flashlights? Dont they all do the same thing? Like a laser thats something unique but a flashlight is really nothing new? Anyways im just curious maybe im missing something.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
If you have to ask, then you are probably not wired to understand our condition.

Geoff

Last edited:

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I was a kid, there was a boy down the street who collected boogers. No
kidding here, a real large booger collection on the wall next to his top bunkbed.

None of us other kids could for the life of us figure out why someone would
collect boogers!

Like Turtle said.....if you have to ask then you wouldn't understand.

cryhavok

Enlightened
I think for many it is the desire to always have the best/brightest/smallest/most featured...which can lead to a collection with the continual release of new/improved lights. That's how it is for me at least...

Tritium

Enlightened
Mihlrad said:
I was just curious what you guys find in collecting flashlights. Please no one take offensive to this, but what can you really do with a collection of flashlights? Dont they all do the same thing? Like a laser thats something unique but a flashlight is really nothing new? Anyways im just curious maybe im missing something.

Just curious, do you have any "modern" flashlights? If not I suggest a small 3 watt led light for about $30 (there are several) about the size of a 16ga shotgun shell that will output and maintain through the entire battery charge more light than a 4D cell maglight. Marvelous technology. Its a tool.

Thurmond

maverick

Enlightened
Mihlrad said:

You kind of have a point, but then, why do some people enjoy collecting stamps...? I think flashaholics are often considered "weird" because we collect an item which isn't typically considered a "collectable".

BigBaller

Enlightened
Well basically they're all made to do the same thing, produce a beam of light on demand, but just like a golfer choosing the right club for the shot at hand or a tactical team selecting the right weapons to suit a specific task, theres quite alot of variety involved when you get more into it and each light serves a particular need. At least for me I've collected them for this reason, some might have always had a childhood facination with flashlights or collect them to make up for something else.. we all have our reasons, but to each his own right?

carrot

Flashaholic
I always thought collecting flashlights was silly. I intended to only have a flashlight for each conceivable need... well now... you know the rest.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find the "you wouldn't understand" response to be somewhat of an insult.

I've got a bunch of flashlights (here's the list), but don't consider myself to be a collector. Aside from my stash of older Arcs, which I guess do constitute a collection, all of the remainder are lights which I believe at the time of purchase will actually be used. What it boils down to, though, is that I just like them, and thats why I buy them.

cheers

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have THE Answer, at least for me:grin2:

The most of us here are a little crazy (some a little more, like me).
The lights are our therapy:rock:

Best regards

____
Tom

greenLED

Flashaholic
powernoodle said:
What it boils down to, though, is that I just like them, and thats why I buy them.
I'm with p'noodle on this one. Strictly speaking, I only collect 2AA minimags (I have almost all colors generally available). Other than that, I don't have a lot of other lights, and what I have are constantly being used around the house, outdoors, etc.

For me, they're tools, and I like having good tools, and the right ones for a specific task. Ever hammered a screw with your Leatherman... :huh2: ...exactly.

I also like tinkering with stuff, and a large portion of flashlight-related stuff that I do is trying to build things that light up (eventually, I'll be successful at this).

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think we all like flashlights because of variety. There are so many things to look for. Such as multiple levels, HA3, xenon or luxeon lamp, regulation, throw, flood... etc.

take my word for it when i say that if you buy one, you'll understand.

-David

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I think I was referring, really somewhat jokingly, to that certain spark that drives folks like us to accumulate flashlights, watches, radios, knives, etc. I have encountered some people that just don't seem to have what I'll call a "collector's mentality". I've become very good at justifying to myself another gadget, at least long enough to make the purchase. An actual burning need is seldom in the picture.

Geoff

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mihlrad said:
what can you really do with a collection of flashlights? Dont they all do the same thing? . . .

Most of mine do distictly different things.

McLuxIII-PD: a single lithium cell flashlight that can also use a rechargeable cell. It has two brightness levels that are good for walking in a dark place or looking into the distance (say 100 ft away). It is small enough for me to carry in "dressy" environments like meeting with clients, etc.

Night-Ops Gladius: a waterprof combat flashlight with a strobe. It has a runtime of 400+ hrs on low, which is enough light to read by or walk around by if it is really dark. It has a bright main beam and a strobe feature which is useful for hostile encounters.

SureFire A2 (red): a flashlight with red LED low level and bright incandescent high level. This is my nightstand light, sleeps next to my .45. The red low level is great for checking things at night without blowing my dark-adapted vision. If I want the bright main beam, I just push the tailcap switch harder: push for red, push harder for bright white.

Cyan Aleph3: a custom McGizmo light with a cyan LED. I use this for checking inside drinking water tanks when they are full of clear water. White light doesn't penetrate water that well, but cyan does a better job.

Red-Orange Aleph3: a custom McGizmo light with a red-orange LED. 140 lumens of red light. Not something you want to try to read by. I used it for some experiments with smoke and fog penetration. It works pretty well.

SureFire L2: a 2-level LED light with a floody beam. I use this for my volunteer fire service. The bright flood helps illuminate things like uneven ground when we are moving a patient on the gourney to the ambulance. Its smal size lets me keep it handy. The dim level is good for reading by. Other lights that are better for checking things in the distance are not well suited to area lighting.

SureFire M3 Combatlight: a flashlight designed for use with a pistol during hostile encounters. 225 lumens of white light and a strike bezel are really comforting when you actually think something bad is there. I use it for checking things in the distance too, 100 to 200 yards, r more when used with binoculars.

Photon Freedom: a really bright keychain light. I keep this in my jacket pocket and my backpack as a spare. It weighs nothing and takes up virtually no space.

Scott

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree but there's a problem...

I seem to have more conceivable needs!! LOL

carrot said:
I always thought collecting flashlights was silly. I intended to only have a flashlight for each conceivable need... well now... you know the rest.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Light is beautiful.
And it gets dark every day. Light helps us to use our primary sensory system in the dark, which is good.
Modern flashlights, in addition to that, are magnificent technology, which we find appealing as well.
It is a nice hobby. There's worse out there.
bernie

citizenal

Newly Enlightened
Kiessling said:
Light is beautiful.

And it gets dark every day. Light helps us to use our primary sensory system in the dark, which is good.
Modern flashlights, in addition to that, are magnificent technology, which we find appealing as well.
It is a nice hobby. There's worse out there.
bernie

Nicely said.
While sitting in the car with my sister I was asked what I wanted for my Birthday. I replied, "A flashlight", in which she responded, "why"?. I told her, "I don't know, i've always liked flashlights." ??