Help with my first build please...

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
OK, what do you think about this, can it be done?

I just bought one of these 2 x 123 tubes:
2x123-clip-McClickie.jpg

I am planning on buying a Ti Aleph head from MoreLite. Its just an empty head.
TiAleph1heads001.jpg

His thread says i need the following:
McR-27 reflector
29.3mm window (lens) (I use a 1mm think sapphire one with the Ti bezel rings)
Aleph 1 retaining ring or 27mm bezel ring
#23 O-Ring
Aleph Light Engine of your choice or you can build your own with an E-screw, E-screw can, emitter PCB, LED emitter and converter of your choice.

I have a couple XX1S coming to me. I have never "Built a light by myself before, but you gotta start somewhere right?

What do I need to put in this set up to drive this X-bin to spec off of 2 x 123 (or R123). Can I even run a "Star" in an Aleph head?

So can this be done? I have a few tools and a soldering iron.... I have two X-bin stars, so i can mees up only once... :laughing:

ouchmyfinger

Enlightened
some of the parts might be hard to find. I think Don said there won't be any more Mcr27s - just Mcr27Ls. Also, at least right now, the shop doesn't have any Aleph light engine kits (or escrews or ecans), but I read elsewhere that there will be more soon.

If you get an aleph light engine kit, it should have everything you need (with the exception of a converter board) for mounting the LED in the head. As far as I know you can't use a Star in an Aleph head, you will have to remove the emitter from the star.

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't run a LuxV of any stripe in a Ti Aleph head, especially an X bin. The heat sinking is fine for most LEs in an Aleph, but it's still not potted and a lot of heat may be retained at the emitter and this won't just reduce life; it will reduce the flux of the emitter as well. There's little point in this IMO unless you run it at low levels and have a very efficient light that isn't extremely bright. The reason this may be such an issue is it may be assumed the Ti will compound the heat issues. I'd recommend running a LuxV LE in either an A3 or A1 aluminum head. Since the LEs can be moved around this is no big deal. Either way on a 2 cell light you would want a Downboy converter or go DD for a LuxV.

Cliffnopus

Enlightened
I think you'll find several of us in the same boat PSM. :grin2: I got one of McGizmo's Ti McClickie's and one of his Ti bodies. As soon as I got on Morelight's list, I popped over to "The Shoppe" and grabbed a McR-27 reflector and a saphire window, I already have a light engine from another past buy.

When I got mine, the shoppe had more reflectors, but they may be all out now (I don't know). I'm short a bezel But I think Morelight may be making some more Ti bezels. This will be my first home assembled small light (Mag mods not counting). We'll see......

Cliff

Latest posts