SL Pro Poly 3C LUX

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I climbed up into the Snap On truck to "shop"

I spied a SL 3C PP LUX. It had a well centered LUX and showed solid green when viewed head on, so I got it. Snap On stuff are "perks" since I don't get paid a great amount.

It seems about the same brightness as a 3 cell M*gled in my 3C M*g with the same batteries. Head to head would be problematic...

It has a better spot than my 4AA LUX. That is it shows no holes or anything but spot. It isn't as bright as the 4AA, and is more blueish.

My next trick is to try three freshly charged NimH C cells.

What say you?

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, what can I say. When I work on my car...do anything I know is going to be tough on a light, I reach for my SL poly 4 AA. She looks like hell at this point. But she does the job ever time. Goota love those lights.

en

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
So far I've tried three NimH C Cells that check in at 1.28ish volts, and it SEEMS brighter by a bit. It shouldn't be if what I read on FLR is true.

But 6 hours ain't too shabby!

I may actually take it to work as a shop light... but I wouldn't count on it!

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ProPoly Luxes are indeed awesome. However, I too have the 4AA and the 3C, and it seems that mine are quite different from yours:

1. My 3C is significantly brighter than the 4AA. I don't even need a lightmeter - I can tell it's a lot brighter with barely a glance.
2. The 3C's tint, if anything, is better than the 4AA's.
3. Neither the 4AA nor the 3C should have any holes anywhere in the spot. There may be some slight artifacts in the corona, but nothing you'd be able to detect at 20 feet.
4. The Luxeons and their reflected images should be yellow, not green.

I think something's wrong, or at least very different, about your lights... :awman:

I, too, just got C NiMHs to use in the 3C. I'm just waiting for the proper parts to arrive so that I can charge the cells.

Last edited:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
What brand/model of NiMH batteries are you guys using? The positive pole o the Chinese NiMH batteries tend to be just a tad (1mm?) larger than what the indentation in the lamp assembly will accommodate.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Mine are named Xtreme, and came from Batteries Plus in Houston around 2 years ago.

I wouldn't know about any others, and I usually use 6 of these to drive a WA01111 bulb in an old Streamlight Excalibre 5D.

Maybe it is yellow I see in the reflector... I don't know.

If the 4AA isn't on at the same time, the 3C is damn nice! It's just in my case that the 4AA is a bit brighter.

Illum

Flashaholic
I dont know about the 3C Lux but IMO the PP 4AA is the best 1 watt light I've used,
I put clear 3M tape on two sides of the lens, so I have spill top and bottom while having throw in the middle. :naughty:
Fantastic light....the only light, in fact, so far I had no problem going swimming with.:laughing:
From Quickbeam's stat numbers, it seems like the 3C adds untime, but not any significant amount in either throw or intensity. but since I've never used or owned a 3C, I can't really be the judge of that! :grin2:

lotsalumens

Enlightened
My 3C and 4AA appear to be about equally bright, with the 3C possibly having a little more throw. They are really great lights!

cfb

jtice

Flashaholic
My 3C has the tightest beam, and is a bit brighter than the 4AAs I have.
All my 4AAs have similar tint, some have better tighter spots than others though.

Here are some shots comparing my first 4AA, and my 3C.

Sreamlight_4AA_and_3C_Luxeons.sized.jpg

Sreamlight_4AA_and_3C_Luxeons_2.sized.jpg

~John

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those are great pictures, jtice. Especially that last sequence with diminishing exposure times. A sequence like that really shows a lot. Thanks

Illum

Flashaholic
:kewlpics:

the last few frames makes me think of orbs people run into when shooting pictures in a dusty area...

From the pictures I guess I can expect even less sidespill from the 3C than the 4AA

jtice

Flashaholic
Yes, the module just kinda lays in the head, like the 4AA,
although, my 3C seems to stay in place, in the head,
while my 4AAs flop around.

Latest posts