sucks for whoever is traveling by air in the UK

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4778575.stm

So there goes those of you UK CPFers who carry multiple lights onto air planes.

"Passengers will not be allowed to take any hand luggage on to any flights in the UK, the department said.

Only the barest essentials - including passports and wallets - will be allowed to be carried on board in transparent plastic bags.

"We hope that these measures, which are being kept under review by the government, will need to be in place for a limited period only," the statement said. "

well come to 1984 nanny state folks. You officially arrived.

schrenz

Enlightened
Crazy :mad: !!

Have they got the opinion, that it is possible to hijack the plane with my EDC, oohhh yeah it's possible to beat the pilot with my JIL or HDS :ohgeez:

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Everything had to be checked in and that includes mobile phones, ipods, wallets - even spectacle cases had to be checked in."

That's harsh; I can't even imagine a long flight without my iPod. :huh:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I already check everything, just for convenience. I have my clothes, flip-flops (instead of steel-toed boots), ID, and boarding pass. That's IT. I was getting sick of removing (and later re-equipping!) 10-15 pounds of gear and getting searched before every flight. Now I just breeze through.

Don't get me wrong, though - that still sucks, especially for longer flights. I usually only do 1-1.5 hour hops, so that's not too bad, but I can't imagine a 10-hour flight with NOTHING to keep me busy.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
At this point one can't even bring water on the plane! I'm sure the restrictions will relax before too long, but cruise ships are looking a better alternative lately.

StevieRay

Enlightened
ngI have a daughter in Scotland right now. She is supposed to return on Monday. We are all anxiously awaiting her safe return.

Last edited:

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
What StevieRay is too polite to say is that it makes no difference if you're bored on a long flight or have a longer wait in line. There aren't pieces of 4,000 bodies floating in the Atlantic and his daughter will come home safely.

And let me be the first to say congratulation and a huge THANKS to the UK LEO's and spooks who pulled this off.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems that British security and intelligence have their stuff well and truely wired together. Seems a job well done.

Also, having watched this on CNN for quite a few hours now, I have to mention that for once that everyone is having a "wait and see what developes" approach. So far, no second guessing. Fewer "talking heads" on this one.

If I were to travel by air for the next few months, I'd travel very, very light and pack very carefully (absolutely nothing to raise an eyebrow even in the checked bag). I'd have everything that would be for carry-on in a large and very heavy duty plastic bag. Something to be quite clear and firm about with regards to children and even college aged kids, unless they like going through more detailed inspections and long delays.

The air freight people are going to see a jump in business. I wouldn't think of packing a knife or a light in a checked bag for a few months. Time to think ahead for shipping holiday gifts, too. Bound to see more lines and higher fees there.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
kakster said:
So, in your opinion, what should the authorities have done?

you know, have the airport screeners do their job and actually check what's in the bags, not banning bags and luggage all together. Such a typical British beaurucratic response: when in doubt, ban it. Easier than putting the responsibility on the authorities....

sounds like you think it's a reasonable response. I knew somebody from England would defend this decision.

or maybe they will allow some people to carry a light for "reasonable cause"?

here is the scenerio:

Scottland yard: "my Lord, we managed to foil a plan of suspected terrorists who were attempting to blow up an aircraft".

Guy in charge of air transportation:
"Good job lad. effective immediately, everyone must not carry any luggage onto aircrafts and must use a clear plastic bag for passports and identifications. It's for the good of the people, they will obey it."

Last edited:

JoshuaFl

Newly Enlightened
When my wife and I came back from the Philippines, we arrived at JFK, and missed our connecting flight. We ended up spending the night in NY, and getting another flight to Florida the next day. Of course we had to get a new ticket, one way to Florida, when we went through security we were marked "special" and had to go to another line.

They had these round papers that they rubbed over our shoes, inside our luggage, and then placed the paper in a machine. The machine gave a readout of what chemicals were present. I thought it was pretty awesome.

Glad they caught those guys before any harm could be done!

Cliffnopus

Enlightened
BIGIRON said:
What StevieRay is too polite to say is that it makes no difference if you're bored on a long flight or have a longer wait in line. There aren't pieces of 4,000 bodies floating in the Atlantic and his daughter will come home safely.

And let me be the first to say congratulation and a huge THANKS to the UK LEO's and spooks who pulled this off.
Well said BIGIRON.

Cliff

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I want to know is whether the airlines are rescheduling the people that looked at the mess and decided not to fly, or if they are giving them a hard time to the effect "well, you missed your flight, so you're ticket is non-refunable" or something like that.

Faced with the mess at the airport, and the danger of there being terrorists with bombs in the crowd realizing that they were not going to get on an airplane that day, I'd have turned around and walked out.

Lets hope that the airlines are taking care of people that did not get onto their flights that day.

mikehill

Enlightened
James S said:
What I want to know is whether the airlines are rescheduling the people that looked at the mess and decided not to fly, or if they are giving them a hard time to the effect "well, you missed your flight, so you're ticket is non-refunable" or something like that.

Faced with the mess at the airport, and the danger of there being terrorists with bombs in the crowd realizing that they were not going to get on an airplane that day, I'd have turned around and walked out.

Lets hope that the airlines are taking care of people that did not get onto their flights that day.
BA are re-scheduling anytime up to December or giving a full refund.
Mike.

d'mo

Enlightened
My wife and two daughters just landed in JFK from Manila through Singapore and Frankfort. I can only imagine the chaos going through immigration and customs today. I'm so thankful they only have their hand-carry bags.

I was on my way back from El Paso the night Flight 800 went down. We were delayed six hours before taking off and ended up having to land in Peoria, IL for fuel before landing in Chicago. Once I got there, my flight back to Rochester was delayed 17 hours. Not fun.

If the delays become excessive, I'll drive the 12 hour round trip to NYC to get my wife and kids.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

You're off base on this one. When you find the kind of info that leads to this kind of thought process, you have to act and act decisively.

The US is now implementing the same flight rules, guess it isn't just those sissy British who over react?

I am a freedom loving, too much government hating, conservative, but this is the right response to a REAL threat.

I, too, have friend and relatives who are flying this week and they'll live with the minor inconvenience this creates.

My alternative, arm everyone who wants a gun on a plane! That will stop most stuff, although suicide bombers always seem to find a way, and this response is appropriate under the circumstances.

Bill

roknrandy

Newly Enlightened
chmsam said:
It seems that British security and intelligence have their stuff well and truely wired together. Seems a job well done.

Good job to all those involved, more lives saved and the bad guys captured

SolarFlare

Enlightened
270winchester said:
you know, have the airport screeners do their job and actually check what's in the bags, not banning bags and luggage all together. Such a typical British beaurucratic response: when in doubt, ban it. Easier than putting the responsibility on the authorities....

sounds like you think it's a reasonable response. I knew somebody from England would defend this decision.

or maybe they will allow some people to carry a light for "reasonable cause"?

here is the scenerio:

Scottland yard: "my Lord, we managed to foil a plan of suspected terrorists who were attempting to blow up an aircraft".

Guy in charge of air transportation:
"Good job lad. effective immediately, everyone must not carry any luggage onto aircrafts and must use a clear plastic bag for passports and identifications. It's for the good of the people, they will obey it."

:crackup: 270.

So British Police and intelligence units raid houses across London and Birmingham in the small hours, arrest 21 suspects, spook the "unknown" connected cells because the intelligence they have gathered thus far is fragmentary, as intelligence invariably is. The remaining cell, or 2 cells or 3 cells make their move. They board their planes with their drinks bottles (in hand luggage, and virtually undetectable) full of nitro, and bye bye American Airlines Flight xxx mid Atlantic. How's that scenario 270?