Orb Raw - Cool little light but, hmm...

Flight_Deck

Enlightened
After much consideration I finally bought and just received an Orb Raw, and quite frankly, I'm disappointed. While it's a great little light and rates a real 10 on the cool factor, it's not any brighter than either of my Fenix P1s. The battery was fully charged and the P1s both had fresh Duracell batteries as well so it was a fair test. Tint is great and all but, hmm... I was expecting more.

So here's a question: Has anyone else experienced this, or do I have either a so-so Orb Raw or a pair of blazing P1s? The Orb is rated at 77-100 lumens while the P1 is rated at only 55 lumens, yet my P1s are every bit as bright as the Orb on high. Now I am well aware of the potential variation (and sometimes questionable authenticity), in lumen rating of LEDs, but I was expecting more from the Orb. Even if my Orb were at the low end of their scale, a 40% increase in brightness (77 vs. 55 lumens), should certainly be observable.

So what do you think? Is mine a special case, or have any of you observed this?

Thanks, and have a great day!

Flight_Deck

Enlightened
Yes, I'm sure it was on high. Great feature having two stages on a twisty, but man, I want more light!!!

And just a side note, My P1's also both blow away my Q3, my Ilumibeam, and an Amilite Neo I had for a while.

Isak Hawk

Enlightened
Did you order it with a U-bin or the standard T-bin? A "bad" T-bin could be the explanation...

GrooveRite

Enlightened
Flight_Deck said:
Yes, I'm sure it was on high. Great feature having two stages on a twisty, but man, I want more light!!!

And just a side note, My P1's also both blow away my Q3, my Ilumibeam, and an Amilite Neo I had for a while.

Where did you get your P1's from??

Flight_Deck

Enlightened
When I ordered the Orb I did not specify U or T-bin, so I assume that I got the T-bin. I did check the CPF box and provide a user name, if that makes any difference (I assume it doesn't).

As to the P1s, I got one from Eliteled.com and the other from the Fenix-Store.com.

Cliffnopus

Enlightened
My RAW NS blows away most of my other lights...up to and including my PD's. For the size, I find it's an incredible little light....and I have two of them so it's not just that I have a "special" NS. (soon to be three when the Damascus version is ready :grin2: )

Cliff

Flight_Deck

Enlightened
Hmm...

Its beginning to sound like I just lost the Luxeon lottery on this one.

Bummer.

Flight_Deck

Enlightened
No, I'm afraid not. It's definitely the Luxeon III version. At least that's definitely what I ordered.

Is there a way to verify? The little fella didn't come with any documentation whatsoever (ordered off of the Orb website).

EricMack

Flashlight Enthusiast
FD, My experience is the same as Cliff, my Raw NS, blows away a lot of worthy contenders that one would assume would knock the Raw down. I don't have any Fenix lights to compare it too, though. But IMO, if your Raw is getting bested by a Fenix, something is just not right. Contact Rob at ORB, he is really good at looking into things like this, and would want to know I'm pretty sure.

Flight_Deck

Enlightened
I just noticed something when reviewing the Orb website. Perhaps this will mean something to someone who can help me out - The reflector region on my Orb is quite a bit taller than the one on the website (the Orb Raw pictured next to the Duracell D cell). I'm guessing about it's 40-50% longer.

Any ideas???

Delvance

Enlightened
There are plenty of older postings/threads on the Orb Raw's output. Basically, the Orb Raw standard version comes with a T bin lux 3. So 77 lumens is all you're going to get max. Couple that with a tiny little Li-ion being asked to supply 0.5A+ and watch the voltage sag...so the LED won't be running at it's max potential (to be fair, with a fresh charged cell, the LED is actually being driven at spec roughly but after the initial sag - no way).

So with the cell freshly charge...let's be generous and give the LED a lumen output of 77...then you have to factor in optical losses, so by the time all is done...you're really seeing around 50 lumens output on a fresh cell.

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
FD, Just to confirm your not using Rechargeable 3.6 V Li-ion's in the P1??
Other wise the Raw should be brighter on high. Also I assume you have charged the cells & you have the 2 stages??
Other than you checking for any other possibilities I can only suggest you Return your Raw For Replacement.
Very Sorry for any inconvenience.
:thanks: Rob

Flight_Deck

Enlightened
Hello Rob!

3.0 volt Duracell Ultra CR123 in the P1s and a fully charged battery in the Orb on stage two. Like I said, it's a great little light all-in-all, I was just expecting more power.

I guess I'll give Orb a jingle about a replacement. Thanks.

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello, Hmmm........ Like you say. Please Return it & we will get it sorted.
Again sorry for the hassle. :thanks:

EricMack

Flashlight Enthusiast
orb said:

Yeah Rob, how do you get hold of that Orb guy anyway? :nana:

I hear he makes a mean light and takes good care of people...:grin2:

jollytoker420

Newly Enlightened
My RAW TI is just as bright as my L2 and U2 all on high. They all just have different beam characteristics. Not sure what bin is in what, L2 has been rated @ 100 lumens for years and the U2 has recently gotten that approval.

Now I just need to get the P1 to compare... :)

blahblahblah

Enlightened
orb said:

:goodjob: Rob is one stand up guy. I've very pleased with my Orb Raw Ti. I'm even more pleased w/ his standing behind his product when it came to my Orb Raw SS that was supposed to be Ti.

This is just another fine example of him making an excellent product which he stands behind.

BTW, If you are sending it back, ask him if he could possibly upgrade you to a U-bin for a few bucks more (I think it costs 6 pounds). Both of my lights are U-binned and I am VERY pleased with them.