I'm a little late to the two-stage Fenix L1 tailcap party, but...

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
I finally got up the nerve to try the 2-stage mod to my Fenix L1 Lighthound Special, now that i have my L1P....

stopped into Radio Shack and picked up the lowest value resistor i could find (10 ohm 1/4 watt), the "low" setting is rather low, about half the intensity of a Dorcy 1AAA 5MM light, but it's just right for dark-adapted navigation and late night reading

the main reason that i went with the 1/4 watt as opposed to the 1/8 watt resistor is simple... radio shack didn't have a 1/8 watt resistor, and i wanted to try the mod anyway

i'm mostly happy with it, low mode is fine for house navigation without blowing out my night vision, i may put a 1/8 in if i can find one, a little more brightness on low would be nice

....although, the runtime on 1/4 would be *phenominal*, it's just right for house navigation and reading, and high is there if i need it....

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Mac:)

You can build in another 10ohms, 1/4 Watt resistor. So you'll have more brightness and the heat divide by 2 resistors instead of one.

Best regards

____
Tom

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
I tried jamming another 1/4 in the switch, but the tolerances inside the tailcap are so tight that i can't get the switch back in and level, and i don't want to mess up the switch assembly, i'll live with the super-low level until i can find a 1/8

I called all the radioshacks in my area, 1/4 is as low as they go

Roy82

Newly Enlightened
A 1/8 and 1/4 Watt 10 ohm resistor would be the same resistance, so the same brightness, er, I think. I used a pair of 1/4 watt 10 ohms, a tad dim for my tastes otherwise.

I think the wattage is rated for heat dissipation purposes or something like that. Don't know how much power the resistor has to handle, but as long as it can handle the heat, resistance is what we're interested in.