Don't Forget Windows Update Today (for XP)

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's hope the patches are for recent problems and not some months old that they finally got around to admitting exist.

Plus Hopefully the update won't crash the computers. A few weeks back the updates caused us to have to completely reload the OS on three desktops. The operator did not read the message box that read "click here to destroy your hard drive data". :p

Don't diss penguins. I have not had a blue screen of death like encounter or had to reboot in over two years now. And I don't have to worry about how expensive/buggy Vista is going to be.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a warning...

On Aug. 15, I installed three of the latest updates, and restarted as instructed.

WinXP crashed, and all I get is a black screen. NOTHING loads (incl. Safe Mode). If I wait long enough i receive an error: "load needed DLLs for kernal"

Rsearching the error, looks like i'm going to have to do a repair install on WinXP, which I'm not looking forward to.

I'm on the emergency laptop, currently, and just surfed over to apple.com...

I think I'm done with Windows...

-dan

Mad1

Enlightened
ACMarina said:
I see what the problem is... you're still using Windows!!!

I would use Linux if it didnt take a PHD to operate it.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Suse Linux is pretty good. The only reason I am not using it is that I have not convinced my wife to leave M Office.

Interestingly, my daughter's school is running a laptop program, and it is almost entirely mac laptops. I admit pure inexperience here, just starting to play with it, but it is interesting that the operation is more or less similar to windows (ok the click location is on the left instead of the right, etc), but real close.

Also, there is anti virus s/w for Mac, along with the other normal protection programs. Not sure if that is just marketing, or needed, but it is interesting.

Last edited:

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
As pooter users, the only way we know something is happening is if we have a security update or patch to fix a problem. The Pooter God forbid that these machines should work out of the box and not crash. :ohgeez:

A buddy was just telling me how much he likes his Mac in place of Windows.