SF P6x reflector modded to Nordic 2C or Maglights

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 8 Nordic 2C aluminum flashlights I bought on EBAY around the beginning of December. They are about the length of a Mag 2C. Unlike the Mag 2C their tailcap will fit sub C batteries. A 2C will hold 3 sub C's or up to 4 123's.

The discontinued RS aluminum 3C (which is a private-labeled Nordic 3C) battery tubes will screw into the back of the 2C tube as an extender. With one extender tube (I have 4 of the Nordic / RS 3C's), the light will hold 5 C cells or 6 Sub C cells.

The 2C head is a comparitively narrow 1 5/8" with an unimpressive plastic reflector.

I today confirmed that when I disassemble a dead SF P6x or P9x LA and save just the aluminum reflector that I can:

1. Drill out the center of the reflector to a diameter just wider than a W/A T-2 1/4 bulb (and an interference fit for a Carley T-2 1/2 bulb)

2. JB weld the reflector centered to the front of the threaded PR bulb retainer.

3. Use a Carley 912 PR adapter (and later a special order ceramic potted 912 PR adapter)and insert a W/A T-2 1/4 "S" based bulb of my choice.

4. Achieve the focus of my choice by a combination of centering and sliding the bulb slightly up and down in the socket. A focus that is tighter than a P60 (with some bulbs) or wider than a P91 (with all bulbs) can be acheived. Note that prepotted bulbs with normal PR filament heights won't work because the filament height will be too short.

5. My short term limitations on this light are amperage in the normal 912 socket and the lexan lens which I hope will be good up to 15 watts or so. As with the DB P61 and P91 mods, the lens should last longer if I don't screw the head down far enough so that the lens contacts the reflector.

6. This mod will also work with Mag lights. The distance from the top of the Mag PR flange to the top of the threaded bulb retainer is a little longer with the Mag, so the bulb must extend a tiny bit farther out of the socket.

What's bad about the Mag mod is the wasted volume of the much bigger head.

What's good about the Mag mod is that a glass lens can be used that will allow the use of a high wattage bulb. This means that the amperage handling capability of the switch assembly and / or the wattage delivery capability of the batteries are now the limiting factors.

I couldn't confirm that this worked sooner because I hadn't had a SF Pxx bulb burn out on me until the last couple of weeks. I'm pleasantly surprised at how well these W/A bulbs are able to focus in the small reflector.