Photon 3 mod?

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would too! I just cobbled something together with a bunch of wires, components, aligator clips, etc... Havn't tried actually making a light with this setup... ...yet!

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow... I have this mental image of a PT Attitude with a Photon III grafted to the side of it!!! Just drill a couple of holes and make a little non-conducting plate with contacts to go between the batteries and the LA with the contacts on either side wired up to different ends of the photon.

yclo

Flashaholic*
I've been thinking it for a long time, but was never brave enough to try it...

I'm scared to let the magic smoke out.

-YC

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone besides me noticed that the circuitry in a photon 3 will work off of other power sources than button cells and will drive 3 LEDs in parallel very nicely? I tried driving the circuitry with an LM2621 at about 4V and it worked great with a 3 LED bulb...

Dimmable LED flashlight anyone? Replace the flashlight housing switch with the photon 3 housing, 2 wires in for power, 2 wires out for the LEDs, and silicone compound to watertight seal the old photon 3 case...

Rebus

Enlightened
This sounds like a great idea!
My only thought is that I have
never heard claims that the Photon
III dimming modes give longer
battery life. Could they be just
adding resistance to dim the led?

-Rebus

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
They merely blink the LED rapidly enuff such that it appears dimmer if I am not wrong.

Streak

Enlightened
The switch is using PWM to achieve the dimming. As Nerd said it changes the duty cycle. Yes it is in effect flashing but too fast for you to see. And yes it really does extend battery life.

If you really want a clever switch to achieve the above rated up to 1 Amp and about 7 volt then check out this thread I started some time ago, I still have some of these and can possibly get more. A lot cheaper then butchering a perfectly good P3!!

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=6&t=000431

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
...So do each of the three LED's match the original in "high bright" mode? And, is the original button cell 1.5v or 3v? If so...
smile.gif
I'm thinking a 3 LED 123 powered mini-light with the P3 switch grafted to the side.

Jon

yclo

Flashaholic*
I just had another idea, who is brave enough to test it?

Arc LS + Photon 3 circuit = ?

Where ? could equal a dimable light or dead Photon 3 circuit.

-YC

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, you would use the photon output to drive a power transister to deliver the high imput to the arc.

The best way to do this would be to find out what chip the arc folks are using and connect the photon output to the blanking line on it. Most of the chips that these guys are using have an on/off line into the chip that is designed for use with separate PWM circuit to provide dimming.

You might be brave enough to try things
wink.gif
It will either be not connected to anything, or it will be tied high through a resister to V+. If you examine the sample schematics you'll see it there.

That way you would only need the photon circuit to provide the logical ON voltage to the arc circuit, and the real operating current would still be using the regular lines.

Course, you might want to build all that yourself. Or talk to Wayne, I'm sure that he would build you a BB500 with the PWM control line brought out somehwere you could easily solder to
smile.gif

Oh, what fun all of this is!

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streak, I would be very interested in getting a few of these switches. Could you please email me with details?

Thanks.
smile.gif