Mag 2C to 3-123A Conversion. Anyone done this?

JTR

Newly Enlightened

Mag 2C to 3-123A Conversion. Anyone done this?

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/maglite_2c-123a_mod.htm

Very curious about this mod.

I've got a 2C Mag that doesn't get much use.

Whenever I pass a flashlight in the store the mod comes to mind.

I have been casually looking for the 6D bulb with no joy.

The rest seems fairly simple and easy.

Question. Can the switch handle the juice? (3v to 9v)

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did this some time ago with a 2C Mag(that's what I bought it for). Added a UCL, and a sputtered reflector from darkzero. Used a piece of hose at first, then got a 3x123 sleeve from Elektrolumens to neaten things up.
Brightness was better with the 5 cell bulbs like the KPR-112. Threw like an UltraStinger, and blew away my Z3 with SRTH and N2 lamp at long range.
Since I had the US and "Z3T", it didn't get used much, so I turned into an LED mod, with a camless version of the sputtered reflector. Used a Downboy 1000 with T then U bin 3w emitters, and now it has a WYOS LuxV. Pretty cool, but for its size it was better as an incan, IMO.
The switch has never been a problem, btw.

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Order a GH24 bulb from Reflectalite.com (I think) for the brightest 3x123 drop-in. (Notice I said 'drop-in')

Jeff

not2bright

Enlightened
JTR, there have probably been thousands of these made by members here. That prompted the Flashlightreviews review.

It is very simple to make and you can switch the light back to stock at any time. The 5 cell Krypton Mag bulb seems to work best, and you can leave a 6 cell Xenon (Mag-Num Star) as a spare in the back.

The only caution here is that there have been some recent issues with multi-cell CR123 under high drain and possibly under high spring pressure. This mod makes the Mag 2C in to just such a device.

I have built several and they are a very easy mod that will impress you the first time you take it outside and point it down the street. As an alternative you might want to take a look at the 2C ROP config. You can find that in the incandecent section.

MoonRise

Enlightened
Mag 2-C, 3 x 123, Carley 1499 potted bulb, Carley 1940 LOP custom-run reflector, stock switch, stock lens. Shim bulb to desired beam pattern, leave alone.

Rated at 385 bulb-lumens, estimated 250 torch-lumens, IIRC current draw is 1.8 amps. Stock lens -seems- OK, I haven't gotten around to putting a glass lens in place. The stock reflector with a CA1499 will hold up for short blasts of light, but is a little bit past the accepted modder limit of 10 watts output for a stock Mag plastic reflector. Run time is a bit less than an hour.

The Mag xenon 6-cell bulb would be easier to find, but a LOT less output (around 60 lumens). A 2-C with 3x123 and a 6-cell xenon bulb is the output of a 6-cell Mag in a 2-C size with a slightly flatter discharge curve due to the lithium cells instead of the constantly decreasing typical alkaline discharge curve. Running a 5-cell krypton Mag bulb will overdrive it a bit and whiten and brighten the output compared to 'stock' drive levels, but beware that xenon bulbs typically don't like or tolerate the same overdrive levels that a krypton bulb can.

The stock switch can handle that current draw OK. It's not the voltage, but the current that is the concern with our usual flashlight operating regime.

PeteBroccolo

Enlightened
I have done this as well, either using a KPR118 bulb and running it on 2 x 18500 cells with a piece of PVC pipe as an adaptor, or a Mag-light krypton 6 C or D bulb and running it on 3 RCR123A cells with a piece of silicone drain tube as an adaptor. I use a borofloat lens and heavy stipple finished cammless reflector, but could get away with the standard lens and reflector.

There are several offers on eBay for the Mag LWSA601 (krypton) or LMSA601 (xenon) bulbs, and while I got a not bad deal on 2 krypton bulbs that way, the shipping cost plus exchange rate on the current deals make it as much as, or more than, I would pay if I bought them through a local wholesaler.

The same wholesaler can get me KPR118 bulbs in boxes of 10 for a not bad price.

I am thinking about building a 2 C ROP li-ion, but find the same problem with the Pelican 3854 bulb package - while there are several dealers on the Internet, I would be better off ordering via my wholesaler.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
xpitxbullx said:
Order a GH24 bulb from Reflectalite.com (I think) for the brightest 3x123 drop-in. (Notice I said 'drop-in')

Jeff

What would the output be compared to the overdriven 5D Krypton?

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've done this with D cell lights using 6 AA NiMH batteries and the Mag 6 cell Xenon bulb. My intent for this light was to make it feasible to use with either NiMH or alkaline batteries, hence the use of the 6 cell Xenon. I used AA NiMH batteries instead of 18650s or LIon batteries because I wanted to have a run time of at least 1.5 hours.

What I have noticed is a slightly diminished output level after some usage with the NiMH batteries (more yellowish, but still outthrows a Stinger), when using the 6 cell Xenon and will probably start using a 5 cell Xenon with it to see how that fares.

Insofar as Pelican bulbs are concerned, I've encountered the same problem. Some of their bulb SKUs are impossible to find at local stores, and Pelican customer service can only seem to suggest mail-order resources. I spoke with someone at Pelican yesterday (I think she was the operator/receptionist since their customer service lines were going to voice-mail after were placed on held on for a period of time. When I asked for a local source, I was immediately directed to a source 500 miles away with the reassurance that they did "fast shipping". Perhaps they're a bit hyperfocused on the internet, but they didn't seem to understand that some items are not worth purchasing by mail-order.

PeteBroccolo said:
I have done this as well, either using a KPR118 bulb and running it on 2 x 18500 cells with a piece of PVC pipe as an adaptor, or a Mag-light krypton 6 C or D bulb and running it on 3 RCR123A cells with a piece of silicone drain tube as an adaptor. I use a borofloat lens and heavy stipple finished cammless reflector, but could get away with the standard lens and reflector.

There are several offers on eBay for the Mag LWSA601 (krypton) or LMSA601 (xenon) bulbs, and while I got a not bad deal on 2 krypton bulbs that way, the shipping cost plus exchange rate on the current deals make it as much as, or more than, I would pay if I bought them through a local wholesaler.

The same wholesaler can get me KPR118 bulbs in boxes of 10 for a not bad price.

I am thinking about building a 2 C ROP li-ion, but find the same problem with the Pelican 3854 bulb package - while there are several dealers on the Internet, I would be better off ordering via my wholesaler.

PeteBroccolo

Enlightened
My wholesaler quoted me a pick-up-at-the-wholesaler price of about $18.16 Canadian for the Pelican 3854. I could order several packages at once and mail them out for actual cost of the bulbs and shipping, if nobody has other sources of these.

I could do the same with the KPR118 bulbs, especially since they come in a box of 10 - I could throw in 1 or 2 of them in a small envelope with added padding.

I think litho123 can still get high-powered PR based bulbs, right?!?!

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Holy cow! That's a wholesale price?! If it weren't for the nature of your day job, we should arrange to smuggle some of them up there for you. That's about $4 USD above Pelican's retail price (for the 3854), and about double the web prices.

We can get KPR118 bulbs at our Radio Shacks for $1.39 (about $1.57 CAD), don't know how that compares with your sources.

PeteBroccolo said:
My wholesaler quoted me a pick-up-at-the-wholesaler price of about $18.16 Canadian for the Pelican 3854. I could order several packages at once and mail them out for actual cost of the bulbs and shipping, if nobody has other sources of these.

I could do the same with the KPR118 bulbs, especially since they come in a box of 10 - I could throw in 1 or 2 of them in a small envelope with added padding.

I think litho123 can still get high-powered PR based bulbs, right?!?!

Niteowl

Enlightened
JTR,

Welcome to CPF!

My thoughts, with pics, on the great Mag 2C mod can be seen HERE.

If you would like, I can send you a tube and o-rings FOC. Just PM me your address.

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brighteyez said:
Is there a domestic source for this bulb?

Nope. This is the only place but they are fast with shipping it out. I've ordered a few times from them with great results.

Jeff

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 5 cell Mag Xenon bulb works great in a 2D Mag using 6 AA NiMH batteries, and it's not being overdriven (at least not by any significant amount.) The only drawback is that you wouldn't be able to use AA alkalines in such a light as it would blow the bulb with fresh batteries. So it looks like I'm going to do two lights, one soley for NiMH batteries with a 5 cell bulb and another for NiMH or alkalines using a 6 cell bulb.

KDOG3 said:
What would the output be compared to the overdriven 5D Krypton?

PeteBroccolo

Enlightened
Brighteyez said:
Holy cow! That's a wholesale price?! If it weren't for the nature of your day job, we should arrange to smuggle some of them up there for you. That's about $4 USD above Pelican's retail price (for the 3854), and about double the web prices.

We can get KPR118 bulbs at our Radio Shacks for $1.39 (about $1.57 CAD), don't know how that compares with your sources.
Well, of the Web dealers I have checked out, either their S&H is crazy-high for shipping to The Great White North and/or they use UPS, and I will be ding-dong-darned if I am going to deal with UPS again and get stuck with a ridiculously high brokerage fee.

Your RS price on the KPR118 is, I believe, slightly lower than what I would end up paying per-bulb for a box of 10.

I do have another source for illumination tools that I will speak to about buying P 3854 and LMSA601 bulbs from.

Yeah, the smuggling part would NOT be a good thing!

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
xpitxbullx said:
It's definetly brighter than the 5-cell bulb. My guess is that it's about 300 lumens.

Jeff

Sweet! I imagine the runtime wouldn't be great. Could you use the stock reflector with it?

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
KDOG3 said:
Sweet! I imagine the runtime wouldn't be great. Could you use the stock reflector with it?

Stock reflector works fine. You get about 45 minutes of runtime with 3x123.

Jeff