Jet-beam 1 Mk-II & Fenix P1

batman

Enlightened
Curious, I noticed on flshlightreviews that the new Jetbeam 1 Mk II is significantly dimmer than the original due to the added electronics (multiple light levels, strobe option, etc.) Anyone care to comment on how it's throw and brightness compare to the Fenix P1 ?

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jetbeam's listed specs of the Mk.II models say that it's the same brightness as the original run, so what Doug saw in his reviews is probably just the result of the Luxeon lottery. Remember that a T bin LuxIII is rated at 67.2-87.4 lumens at nominal levels. Quite a spread. It could simply be that Doug's Mk.II example didn't have as good a T bin LuxIII as the first one. I believe that the original run's emitters were also hand-picked to some degree, so this might have had something to do with it as well.

Maybe it is dimmer, maybe it isn't, maybe it's just the Lottery. It'll take more than a single comparison to find out for sure.

Last edited:

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Planterz said:
Jetbeam's listed specs of the Mk.II models say that it's the same brightness as the original run, so what Greg saw in his reviews is probably just the result of the Luxeon lottery. Remember that a T bin LuxIII is rated at 67.2-87.4 lumens at nominal levels. Quite a spread. It could simply be that Greg's Mk.II example didn't have as good a T bin LuxIII as the first one. I believe that the original run's emitters were also hand-picked to some degree, so this might have had something to do with it as well.

Maybe it is dimmer, maybe it isn't, maybe it's just the Lottery. It'll take more than a single comparison to find out for sure.

FYI- you are talking about the proprietor of flashlightreviews.com aka "Quickbeam," his name is "Doug" not "Greg" :).

I've got my fingers crossed that a get a lottery winning MK-II, as it will likely be my EDC light for some time to come.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think the VF bin was ever controlled in either the MKI or MKII. The only bin guaranteed was flux. Even tint wasn't guaranteed, but Emilion stated it would be "white", which is is.

havand

Enlightened
jsr- How could the vf not be controlled? Isn't that one of the critical elements for producing similar light output? I mean, if they're all over the place, some could burn out in minutes, no?

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
havand - if the driver is a constant current driver (which Emilion claimed it is), then the VF is not an issue. The driver will output (and constantly adjust) a voltage that will keep the current the same, regardless of what the VF is. VF affecting output is most noticable in a constant voltage driver.
BTW, how is your MK2 looking? Did you receive it yet?