Just wanted to share these DARPA light pics!

ATCUSMC

Newly Enlightened
Here are some DARPA lights that I have, I wanted to post these here for you guys to check out and give comments on!

MyDARPAlights.jpg

DEFlights5.jpg

DEFlights2.jpg

Thanks!

RadarGreg

Enlightened
Wow! You hit the DARPA lottery, times three! I agree, some specs and beamshots are appreciated. Thanks for joining CPF and for sharing some rare pics.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
What kind of beam does the DEF2 produce?
And is the DEF1 as bright as a U2 ... and how does the beam compare? (It is a LuxV, right?)
bernhard

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would love to see some beamshots of all three of these lights, please!

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
snf (50).gif
snf (16).gif
That is quite a first post. Those are worth more than all my lights put together. Thanks for sharing them with us.:)

Size15's

Flashaholic
DUQ said:
OOOOoooooo AAAhhhhhh. So the 5K has a Fresnel lens?

The 5K refers to the colour temperature of the beam - not the TIR optic or anything else. Notice that both the DEF2 and the DEF3 are etched "5K".

The DEF2 and DEF3 are not the same as the PKEF3 specials being sold.

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
My mistake Al. I was asking if the Def3 has a fresnel lens. I understand the colour temp. ratings, just misquoted. So TIR lens it is.

Size15's

Flashaholic
DUQ said:
My mistake Al. I was asking if the Def3 has a fresnel lens. I understand the colour temp. ratings, just misquoted. So TIR lens it is.

Those TIR optics with the concentric ring features are not Fresnel lenses. They are all TIR optics - just different designs.

A Fresnel lens requires less lens material required compared to a conventional spherical lens. It does this by breaking the lens into a set of concentric annular sections known as Fresnel zones. The concentric ring features of some SureFire TIR optics do not appear to be Fresnel zones and the optic itself is still as thick as other TIR optics.
It appears to me that the function of the concentric ring features are a means of spreading the beam out rather than concentrating it further which I would expect Fresnel zones to do.

IMG_3587s.jpg

Shelby Chan Photography

Chehalis

Newly Enlightened
I'd love to see beamshots comparing the DEF2 and DEF3...

I wonder if that DEF2 is the one that has the Luxeon V driven to 120 lumens?

ATCUSMC

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,

Sorry for such a long delay but I have been deployed and just returned. I will try to get some beam shots soon. If anyone has any good info on how to take them please let me know. Also, I am thinking of selling one of the DEF 1 and maybe a DEF3 if anyone is interested. Thanks!