Angryfox        
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: McLux DIY Parts. Status, availability, questions.

Default McLux DIY Parts. Status, availability, questions.

I know you are all chomping at the bit, waiting, drooling and waiting some more. Thanks for the patience as the web site is still being worked on.

The web page is up partially and the pricing is still being worked on as we speak.

It looks like that the web page should be enabled Monday am PST. That's my hope and goal. I should have all the parts with the exception of the converter boards.

Yup, I'm all out of Badboys... I'm scrambling right now to get more and I'm hot on making more by hand to satisfy all the current demand.

What I can't do is prevent over ordering. When the quantity starts running low, the web site would not prevent futher orders to be placed. I will attempt to lock down the web site when the DIY parts run out the same day. Those that are in the over run will be notified and refunded according.

So, even if I had the parts today, there are no Badboys. That's the key item here. The rest of the parts I have stock on.

If you have any questions about the DIY, post it here. If you are looking for the TK, stay tuned as that will appear in the BST area.

The web site may not be accurate or complete, so, please don't take the data found on the web site to be accurate.

As always, thanks for the patience. (Please mop up your drool on the way out! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] )

Wayne

Default Re: McLux DIY Parts. Status, availability, questions.

great!!!

i think it would be a good idea to mention thermal adhesives on the recommended products however.

Wayne, I think it's safe to say, although maybe not too good to hear, that your site might get flooded with orders, and I mean flooded...

I know I'll be checkin' out your site...

Wayne-

Thanks for the update. I guess I can turn off the Web crawler looking for hourly site changes. At least until late Sunday night. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Wayne do you mean that there are no badboy sandwiches avalible at the moment?
    Chris

Flashaholic

First there was the Slashdot Effect... Now there's the CPF effect? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Christoph,

No, there are plenty of sandwiches. There are no converter boards. The converter board alone is used in the McLux, not the sandwich.

The Sandwich or module only works in a 2AA flashlight.

Wayne

OK,

I have some more info.

Here's what I have. I think it is going to fall short of expectation and I'm looking for feedback on what we should do.

Inventory:

9 EN Heads, 9 EN 1X123 Tails

25 Black HA Heads

10 Black Longtails

15 Black 1X123 Tails.

25 Loc-line adaptors.

25 McStalks.

(The loc-line adaptors screw onto the head, and have a loc-line male end that will snap into the McStalk. The other end of the McStalk has a 1/8-20 NPT end with nut.) The head, Loc-line adaptor, and McStalk make a fixed light. ie, Aquarium light, nightstand light, outdoor light, etc etc etc BTW: the McStalk, Loc-line, head could be a direct drive or have the electronics like a linear regulator in a box separate from the head assembly.

I'm short Badboys right now and I'm short the Anode contact assemblies. So, posting them up for sale doesn't make too much sense, or does it?

2ndly, this could be like a shark feeding frenzy. I would like to say, I have enough for all to go around. Bumm, I can't say that. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

I'm working with the group to make this available for a much longer period of time and continue to offer the pieces since they make a great kit of parts. It's like starting a Heathkit store all over.

So, ideas are listed below. Please comment, add your own and let's see what happens.

1) Let the feeding frenzy begin. Put them up for sale immediately with the understnanding that they would not ship right away until the remaining backordered items come in (Badboys and anode assemblies).

2) Put these up for bid in the BST. Again, first come first served.

3) Delay putting them up for sale at all, till the TK run at which point there would be a larger inventory to deal with.

4) Something else...

Please toss in your 2c now...

Wayne

Flashaholic*

Dat2Zip:

I would love to Paypal you the funds for 1 black 1 * 123 body with Kroll switch and one or two black 3 * 123 "longtail" bodies with Kroll switch (depends on price).

I would also order an extra Kroll tailcap.

I would hate not to be looking when the 3 minutes and 17 seconds of availability is over.

Flashaholic*

Dat2zip,

I would say the sooner you guys begin to recover some of your costs, the better off you pocketbook is. I am also saying this because I am eager for some goodies! Most of us can put some of these parts to good use with other components we already own. It would also generate even more interest in the TK units once photos of the DIY units start to appear with mods and variations. As if there isn't enough interest already!! That said, I am in for a long tail body and a short body, two clips and two Krolls. Blk on the long tail and EN on the short. That is if you decide to move in this direction. Thanks again for the exceptional service, and great products you guys are offering.

Aluminum Junkie

Flashaholic

I wouldn't mind waiting a bit as long as I know I'll be able to get what I want later. Maybe it would be helpful if you could post what parts you plan to have in greater quantities later, and then open up the rest for a frenzy, perhaps at some scheduled time so everyone gets a crack at it.

I'd like some 3x123 holders with heads for adding a 5W HD emitter and a Wizard board, but since neither is available right now I'd be happy to wait a little longer if I know more are coming up. I think knowing what is coming may help to calm people a bit and put what is currently available into perspective.

- Russ

Flashaholic*

I agree.

Offer good prices, and sell them now, and recoup your investments.

Then make more!

I don't mind waiting for a second run, as long as I know that there is a second run!

Flashaholic

I'm sure that many of you remember when Lambda announced the date and time that you could order lights from his website. I think it was almost 2 minutes before he had to shut it off due to overwhelming demand. I'm afraid my doggy little dial-up modem wouldn't be able to compete, even IF I just happened to BE in the right place at exactly the right time.

Maybe, if you could get a feel for what members would commit to (maybe even pay in advance), then enough extra parts could be made to cover both the "turnkey" and "extra parts" during the next (and maybe only) run. You could also start to recoup some costs with "pay in advance". I think anyone who pays, however, should be guarranteed parts as soon as they are available.

That said, I'd certainly be in for an EN head, EN 1X123 Tail, and a BLK Longtail. Also Anode contacts, when they are available.

Flashaholic*

Wayne,
    I would suggest you let people give you their first choice and second choice and third choice to order a complete McLux and then when that runs out, offer up whats left as parts. At least your not sitting on inventory and then get a wish list and a prepaid wish list to make more. What I want are a bunch of heads and a couple of bodies. But it all comes down to cost? Have you had a chance to price out the offerings? I'm in no rush, but would like to know the plans and get these some day.
    My two cents.
    CiTY

I want to make it from the completely same specification as McLux TK(EN).

That is because I want to enjoy manufacture. In addition, when I choose DIY, it is because it thought that at least one user could receive McLux TK certainly.

Therefore, I desire sale of a full complete kit which does not need to push many buttons. I can place an order more easily by doing so, and your burden may also be mitigated (few [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ).

Flashaholic*

My wish is to be able to order the kits with a decent chance of getting them. For that reason I would suggest opening the floodgates in February when the TK units are offered. In the meantime order what extra parts you can with the next run.

Personally I would prefer not to bid on various and sundry parts and pieces. If you wish to offer some units for bid perhaps a few TK 5W units would incite the masses. These would likely be beyond my means.

I am interested in one or two kits (3x123 tails) for use in a reflectored 5W (price is the key). If you make 2x123 tails I would be interested in a couple as well. Black HA III (EN otherwise).

Cheers.

Flashaholic

Perhaps you could have people pre-order parts, and tie up with Hotfoot to produce enough to satisfy the immediate demand with a small surplus for the future. That way you also wouldn't have cough up a huge investment on your part for stock.

The downside is you'd probably beat Hotfoot in the white hair department when its all over. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

I think if it comes to Bidding it would change the positive momentum of the product. A list (nondiscounted)price KL1 can be had for $50, so a Badboy, 1W LED, Lense, optics and McLux head I could pay a premium, but there is a limit. Sorry, I don't want to be a hardass about this, but just some economic numbers sense.

Depending on the price, I would be interested in a complete DIY kit in EN finish, 1x123, with a Madmax or high current Badboy, and a 1W high-dome or SE emitter. I'm willing to compromise runtime for brightness.

Dave

Flashaholic*

CiTY:

Actually, I'm hoping that a complete head assembly costs around $90. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

That would make the body with tailcap a very attractive $35. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] (Somehow I suspect this part will cost more than $35 and I'm prepared to pay more.) [img]graemlins/icon3.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bluesigh.gif[/img]

A Doug Spec UBH at $45 in brass or anodized aluminum combines with a $12 E2 tailcap as a 3-cell alternative.

The last time I checked at LPS I could buy a D3 body for $35 (I did) or a 6P body for $25 (I didn't). Some of us who've bought the waterproof tailcap and/or clickies wouldn't need to buy more tailcaps with this alternative option.

Flashaholic*

Actually, I was thinking about sacraficing a couple of KL1s for a few special mods... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I think I can find them some where for $40...

Flashaholic*

Guys,

I truly doubt we'd actually have an auction style-bid for any of these parts. An auction *might* make sense for collectors items, say a brass Arc-AAA, but not quite so for just loose flashlight parts, IMHO. So, you don't have to worry about a runaway price situation.

The last thing we wanna do, and I'm pretty sure I can speak for the other skunks here, is to make the McLux parts unreachable to the audience that would most appreciate them. If that were the case, the sandwich shoppe offering would be a moot idea in the first place.

As the guy who needs to worry most about production, my concerns are:

- can we make this run big enough so that parts are affordable to ourselves and the CPF?

- making a *manageable* qty in the required timeframe. By management, I mean order processing, logistics and QA/QC. We certainly don't want any "factory seconds" situation as far as possible and QC is paramount for certain key parts to ensure even basic functionality in the first place (please try to understand that this is a *part-time* effort for most of us, so its a time juggling circus)

- qty of parts will still be limited, so can we control distribution in a way that is fair to all as far as possible?

- can we gauge accurately enough to make sufficient parts to satisfy current pent-up demand, whilst retaining adequate qtys to cater to residual/new demand - all this without making too *large* a qty that would tie up funds (and possibly slowing down R&D expediture for new cool stuff!).

- can we do all the above without excessively compromising our day jobs [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Bottom line is, we *want* to be able to share this stuff with you guys, so we're not going to set up obstacles artificially. But we need to watch our step too so that we don't disappoint everyone, or get hurt ourselves in the process.

-leo

cross posted in the Badboy and Madmax thread. Copied here as an FYI.

Status update: I'll post this in the beginning as well.

Nearing the end of the month. We are now out of stock on Madmax modules so any future Sandwiches with Madmax will get backordered.

We have been out of stock on Badboy converter boards and are now getting very thin on Badboy 400 modules and Badboy 500 modules.

I plan on keeping the store open. So, I've made the decision. Not to terminate the store for various reason. One is the contract manufacturer did not perform very well and I got overcharged, and I lost a lots to scrappage for one reason or another.

The store will stay open to service the McLux DIY program, offer LEDs and all the other misc items that everyone seems to like. The response has been nothing short of spectacular and I would again like to thank everyone for such an overwhelming success.

I'm in the process of switching contract manufacturers and this has caused a hiccup or bubble where I won't be getting supplies for a while. During this period I'm hoping to be able to sustain some inventory again by hand soldering and hand assembly modules.

This is consuming more time than I had anticipated and is now delaying the McLux program. Fear not, it will be forthcoming. And the price that is currently being worked on is a very attractive one. I think you will like the pricing.

Wayne

PayPal sent [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

Oh Don! Aren't you one of em skunks? Not done with grabbing all the mclux's yet?
    [img]graemlins/twak.gif[/img]

[img]graemlins/icon15.gif[/img]

[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Hey, we ALL need BadBoys! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

AARGH! now I'm confused... What to do? get a TK or built my own...
    What do you guys think...
    Why TurnKey, or why DIY? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

I know I NEED one...

PS, Leo, it's not a well known Dutch characteristic that makes me confused... [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Just max. satisfaction... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

Turnkey is the way to go if you don't want to mess around with solder and epoxy and so on.

DIY is good if you're ok with a soldering iron, and want something that the TK doesn't offer. For instance, a 3x123 body with a 5W LS in direct drive. Or perhaps you just want the normal 1x123, but with a different colour 1W LS.

Graham

Flashaholic*

BTTT,

Having surprised myself by ordering the TK McLux I wanted to check the pulse on the DIY kits. Any news? I would love to get my grubby little fingers on a couple.

Cheers.

Flashaholic

Me,too.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast