• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired need help rethreading old ArcAAA tube

greenLED

Flashaholic
...to match "new" threads. I bought a couple of really old colored ArcAAA heads a while back, and they don't match the black AAA bodies I had for them. They do match the newest bodies from Arc, though (at least, the threads do).

Please let me know if you can help me with this.

:thanks:

LedSled

Newly Enlightened
Just a couple of ideas ... possibly completely useless to you:

1) I've used automotive valve lapping compound to lap-in a fit when two aluminum parts had *slightly* different thread sizes.

2) Bigger mismatches had me turning down the old threads, fitting a sleeve, then cutting new threads into the sleeve. Ouch!!!$$$$.

Wish I could be more help ...

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Greenhopper,

As stated in PM, the easiest way would be a custom-thread (~$100) tap. Good luck finding someone who has had one custom-ground!!!!! Did you ask cy? Waay back when, I converted an AAA to N, and it required LedSled's approach, which is a minor PITA!

Good luck guy!

Larry

liqht

Newly Enlightened
i think i read in the arc forum that gransee is selling the new bodies for $15 on the arcflashlight web site now.

although if you're wanting to use the black bodies, that wouldn't help much. just a thought.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Light, I have a couple of those new bodies, and the heads do fit those. However, I'd like to keep these old heads (a red and a green ArcAAA) as close to original as possible. If else fails... :candle:

Vortechs, thanks!

cy

Flashaholic
vortechs, many thanks for digging up that old thread.

Larry's right, yes I had to get a custom tap made for ARC AAA old style bodies. you can convert a std die by expanding to fit ARC AAA heads. I forget what size, posted info long ago... die is laying around somewhere..

high risk operation without a lathe. very hard to start threads straight.