Surefire M6 Remake or New light? Hints and Suggestions!

ola larsson

Newly Enlightened
I am intressed in a remake of the Surefire M6 into a rechargable light..

Or Maybee a new light from scratch!

Maybee using using a Turbohead from Surefire and a new Body!

And use Copia batteries either LRB-168B rechargeable Li-ion battery with capacity of 1400mAH same length and diameter as 2 x CR123A battery, 3.7V.

Or maybee 2 x LRB-150B battery wich are same length, diameter and voltage as 3 x CR123A battery with capacity of 1000mAH

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's absolutely no way you can power a M6 LA off 1 of those battery. You will get thermal shut down in less than a minute. Most probably less.

Maybe if you can connect 3 or 4 of those LRB 150B together in parallel, you might power a M6 for any respectable amount of time.

ola larsson

Newly Enlightened
Well my thought was maybee six of the LRB-150B batterys put together as they are in the M6 with a stamina of about 3000Mha.

The flashlight get a bit longer but are rechargable with more stamina than 2 of CR123A with puts together to about 2400-2800Mha.

ola larsson

Newly Enlightened
How small can a regulator or whatever device that have to be used to ether make the power either to 6V from 7.2v or make 9V from a lower voltage?

ola larsson

Newly Enlightened
I also posted almost the same on 186thousands forum ... to see if some guys there is up to the challange!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi Ola,

I am flattered that you posted this challange on the McLux thread in the hopes that some of us might have some ideas. I can't speak for the other guys but I for one know enough about incandescent systems to know that this is a cool idea probably but way over my head! From what very little I understand, you need to design an incandescent lamp to a specific voltage range or you can design a regulated constant voltage booster to a specific lamp. In addition, as I understand it, the thermal considerations within the flashlight itself need to also be taken into consideration for a properly tuned design. I have seen Willie Hunt referenced in quite a few posts and I guess he is a guru when it comes to regulation systems for incandescent applications. You might search out his web site and see if you can find some information.

Before the simpler mechanics of the hardware and design of the flashlight can be considered, I think the power train and lamp need to be nailed down. I would suspect for a designer, it may be easiest to design a lamp with the 7.4 voltage from the Copias in mind. If you are really interested in a 200 to 500 lumen flashlight based upon the Copia batteries, you might want to contact Copia or FoxEyes (I think that's the name or maybe close
smile.gif
)and see if they have considered such a flashlight.

Good luck with your quest and I don't think your challange is a trivial one!

- Don

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know... getting the M6 with the 500 lumens LA to run is not really much of a challenge. The true challenge is how long can you make it run? How bright can you make it shine?

ola larsson

Newly Enlightened
Does a step up regulator work when talking about using tha amount of power a 250 lumen flashlight needs? Does it take the load? How large have it to be?