German import tax - who understands the system ?

Martin

Enlightened
This is strange: I had ordered a flashlight from the USA which arrived at my German home end of July.
11 days later I received a letter from the local customs office that a flashlight valued USD20 had arrived and I am supposed to clear it within one week. It said I must go to the office and show the receit.
Possibly I can print a PayPal receit but it would be difficult to relate it. And it would reveal a value much higher than USD 20. So it might not be a good idea.
Anyone experience with this sort of situation ?

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the most part, a Pay Pal receipt is worthless since it is only for a transfer of funds. You should have some sort of receipt from the seller (even an e-mail'd Bill of Sale would be a receipt). On the other hand, if Zoll sees a significant difference between the PayPay receipt and the receipt from the vendor, and the difference is more than what might be reasonable for shipping, you might have to provide them with some sort of explaination.

Martin said:
This is strange: I had ordered a flashlight from the USA which arrived at my German home end of July.
11 days later I received a letter from the local customs office that a flashlight valued USD20 had arrived and I am supposed to clear it within one week. It said I must go to the office and show the receit.
Possibly I can print a PayPal receit but it would be difficult to relate it. And it would reveal a value much higher than USD 20. So it might not be a good idea.

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast

No, but I'd tell them you've shredded the reciept as you do with all things that contain personal information.

Anyway, the EU member states are supposed to be 'civilized countries' and folk from these countries are in no way shape or form obliged to incriminate themselves.

Enjoy your flashlight.

CFU

Martin

Enlightened
And the letter said that this is a shipment from Lighthound and I must pick it up within one week, or they will charge me for storing it. Alternatively, I can refuse it and it will return to sender.

I don't mind if they return a flashlight that they don't have, but I'd rather not want to pay for storing it.

Or maybe the shipment is not from Lighthound ? I'm curious what they actually have caught there.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Martin:)

I can't see the problem. E-mail Lighthound for a receipt, take it and the light and go to the customs office.

There they will be tell you, what you will have to pay for tax.

Best regards

____
Tom

greenLED

Flashaholic
Martin said:
I don't mind if they return a flashlight that they don't have, but I'd rather not want to pay for storing it.
If you return it, Lighthound will be charged for return postage. It hapenned to us on the Gladius passaround; it got returned because of customs from the UK, and we ended having to pay for it.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're not expecting anything and you've already received the package, it sounds like they're going to have a tough time trying to produce the parcel for which you are suppose to produce a receipt :)

Can you call them up to see who it is from? Or contact Lighthound to see if the order may have been duplicated in error?

Martin said:
And the letter said that this is a shipment from Lighthound and I must pick it up within one week, or they will charge me for storing it. Alternatively, I can refuse it and it will return to sender.

Or maybe the shipment is not from Lighthound ? I'm curious what they actually have caught there.

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, they are going to charge you for storing a parcel that they don't have or charge you for sending back a parcel they again do not have.

They are taking the p*ss mate, get on the phone demand to speak to somebody with a bit of authority and tell them to stop harrasing you about a parcel they don't even have in their possession...muppets.

CFU

Martin

Enlightened
I will call them on Monday to find out if they actually do have an unexpected physical object. If so, I won't let it go back as greenLED suggests. I'll let you know then.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
And if they can't find it, as I suspect may be the case ;), ask them what they did with it :) Tell them you want the merchandise that you paid for, and since they had it and lost it, you're going to hold them responsible :)

Martin said:
I will call them on Monday to find out if they actually do have an unexpected physical object. If so, I won't let it go back as greenLED suggests. I'll let you know then.

Martin

Enlightened
Mistery solved:
There was a PrincetonTec Apex at the customs bureau. I've ordered one from Lighthound a while ago and now they have sent a second one without that I have ordered it !
I've cleared it and taken it home, poor light.
I had no matching receit, but customs ate the one from another light.
The officers are not really concerned about flashlight imports. They are mostly after fake designer goods and there seem to be a lot coming in.
Thanks to everyone for bearing with me !