Lambda's Megaclops SE Quick Review

S4MadMan

Enlightened
Lambda\'s Megaclops SE Quick Review

I received my Megaclops SE (MSE) yesterday.
grin.gif

I'm still waiting for my light meter so actual numbers will have to wait but it's brighter than my incandescent Sure Fire 9N (140 lumens).

At night, I was with some friends and I turned on the MSE, one person said "Wow that's bright!" And then when I told them it was a single LED bulb another one person remarked, "No way! Impossible!" I had to show them...
cool.gif

I will post some comparison pictures later on today.
icon14.gif

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Lambda\'s Megaclops SE Quick Review

Limits broken... barriers shattered...eyes scorched...walls burnt...let the world know the power of.... LEDs.... Mwahahahaahahaaa

You didn't happen to show them it's an LED by shining it in their eyes did you?
shocked.gif

S4MadMan

Enlightened

Yes I did shine them in my eyes and I still see stars.
yellowlaugh.gif

I don't know what the limits of LEDs are but I will say it's as bright if not brighter than the brightest incandescents I've seen. I have not seen the SureFire 10x, M6 or Tiger Light but sans these and spot lights, this is one bright light.

I will take some night shot comparisons as well as a Flux reading as soon as my light meter comes in.

One thing is for sure, LEDs are here to stay!
grin.gif

Deviant

Enlightened

cool!
icon14.gif

I have got Kelvin's 1w Se in a Legend, of course it's nowhere near your MSE.
grin.gif
. but the beam pattern makes me feels kind of weird. guess i'm too used to the beam pattern from the optics. btw if u have a 1w or 5w with optics and compared with your MSE? my guess is that your MSe will have a smaller and brighter centre

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast

5 watt LS are 120 lumens. Slightly less with Optics/Reflector since there is optical transmission loss. SF 10x and SF M6 are 500 lumens. You will need at least 4 5 watt LS to match the brightness of them. Maybe slightly less since white is perceived as brighter.

S4MadMan

Enlightened

Originally posted by Nerd:
5 watt LS are 120 lumens. Slightly less with Optics/Reflector since there is optical transmission loss. SF 10x and SF M6 are 500 lumens. You will need at least 4 5 watt LS to match the brightness of them. Maybe slightly less since white is perceived as brighter.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yep, I'm aware of that Nerd, thanks. That's why I said this side of those two flashlights and perhaps the Tiger Light, the MSE is about as bright as your gonna get.
grin.gif

Alan Hsu

Enlightened

S4MadMan,

Could it be the color temperature of the beam? 5W LS, with its higher color-temperature (i.e. whiter) beam, may look brighter than the yellower beam of SF 9N though the latter boasts higher lumens.

S4MadMan

Enlightened

I just got back home and remembered to do a little comparison, the MSE definitely throws a further more concentrated beam than the 9N and I can see more. That's all I can say. I will post some night comparison pictures and light meter readings soon.

Yes, the better contrast/color temperature does help the MSE too.
smile.gif

S4MadMan

Enlightened

Originally posted by (o_O):
cool!
icon14.gif

I have got Kelvin's 1w Se in a Legend, of course it's nowhere near your MSE.
grin.gif
. but the beam pattern makes me feels kind of weird. guess i'm too used to the beam pattern from the optics. btw if u have a 1w or 5w with optics and compared with your MSE? my guess is that your MSe will have a smaller and brighter centre
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Here's picture of GeoffK's 1 Watt LS Collimator vs. Lambda's 5 Watt LS SE MegaclopsSE:

ls-1vs5-01.jpg

ls-1vs5-02.jpg

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ah, boyz and their new toys.
grin.gif

Glad to hear you like your light. The Megaclops has become one of my own favorites. While smaller lights are easier to carry, this one rules for outdoor tasks like walking the dog. It allows me to both see and be seen. Being a big fan of rechargeable batteries, I like the idea of finally having a nice bright flashlight that I don't have to think about the cost of battery replacement everytime I switch it on.

I think LumiLeds has created an LED here that really will revolutionize the lighting industry. While it may not be as bright as some of the better incandescents out there, I view that as only a matter of time.
cool.gif

S4MadMan

Enlightened

Absolutely! Boyz and their Toyz.
winkie.GIF

Lambda, good point about brightness. It's all relative. Yesterday I met a few people to do chip installs on their cars. I purposely met them at a remote location (no lighting) of a Park to test my flashlights. While my Collimator and X5 were adequate, they just did not compare to the Megaclops.

Once you get used to the Mega, you just don't wanna go back.
cool.gif

Deviant

Enlightened

S4MadMan,

Thanks, your MSE is truly impressive
icon14.gif

S4MadMan

Enlightened

Originally posted by (o_O):
S4MadMan,

Thanks, your MSE is truly impressive
icon14.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Please don't thank me, thank Lambda and all the other great Modders like Mr. Bulk, Elektrolumens, GeoffK, et. al.
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

I just shelled out the money, worth every penny and more.
cool.gif