SL Tasklight 1 AA...X1 short comparision

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was informed that the SL used the new CS emitter and ordered one to play with. As another member said...the button switch is "where it should be". And I had forgot how nice it is to have it on the neck rather the tail. The switch itself feels good.

Like any good flashaholic the first thing I did was shine it on the white wall. Ringy beam but no artifacts.

Got the Inova X1 out to compare which also has the new CS bulb. The X1 is a lot more blue tint wise. The SL easily out throws it with a big hot spot. In actual use the SL beam seemed much more usable at anything past 10 feet. As far as total output, the SL seemed to be brighter in the ceiling bounce test, but not by much...have to wait for Doug to give the figures in his review. The low level is to low for me. But I suspect most would disagree.

I really like this cheap light, I think they could be great for gifts too. If you are ordering a light from a place that sells these I would recommend you ask them to send one along. But I would only order one if you are getting something else as the shipping on mine was about half the price of the light. $13.00...$5 more/less for shipping.

Ken

Last edited:

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Badbeams said:
I really like this cheap light, I think they could be great for gifts too. If you are ordering a light from a place that sells these I would recommend you ask them to send one along. But I would only order one if you are getting something else as the shipping on mine was about half the price of the light. $13.00...$5 more/less for shipping.Ken

Hey Badbeams, is it necessary to call this cool little light - a light that you seem to like by the way - 'cheap'?

'Cheap' has certain undesirable associations. Instead, how about 'inexpensive' or 'reasonably priced'? How about 'bargain price for a solid value'? Remember, this little guy has a lifetime warranty from a reputable company. Even if you buy just one light for thirteen bucks and tack on the five bucks shipping, it's still a bargain at eighteen bucks.

I too own both the SL TL 1AA and the Inova X1. I like the X1. Seems very rugged and reliable, so I keep it stowed away in my rucksack, in a ziplock bag with a fresh cell as an emergency/backup light. Both lights are slightly too large for me to EDC as pocket lights - all my pocket lights are AAA size.

The X1's output is just not as useful to me as the two levels of the SL 1AA. Good for close up tasks, but the X1 is nowhere near as useful for walking, which I use the SL 1AA for every day. The X1 can't usefully light up a sidewalk fifteen to twenty feet ahead like the SL 1AA.

But, the X1 is too bright for getting up late at night without dazzling dark-adapted eyes. I really like the low setting on the SL: perfect for sleepy eyes, and fine for wandering around a dark house.

I've yet to see a runtime plot for the SL, but it seems to sip very gently from its 1AA alkaline. After weeks of intermittent use - fifteen minutes daily on high, and more than that on low - it seems to be as bright as when I got it. How do I know that? I bought two and occasionally compare the output of the one in daily use to the unused one.

Aside from being economical to feed, the main reason I like the SL 1AA is ergonomics: the smooth, effortless switch and superior switch location. Feels really good in my hand. Despite the small size, it handles and operates more like a full-size flashlight rather than a pocket light.

My SL 1AA has been dropped onto a cement driveway and knocked off a table onto a hardwood floor several times without a flicker, so it's seems to be durable enough for everyday use.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very well said, and your right...it`s not cheap in terms quality. I used a poor choice of words. Nice little light.

Ken