K2 Questions

StanTeate

Enlightened
Is there anything different about modding w/ K2's. For instance, in a modded Pelican PM6 with a 3W driven with a BB, can I unsolder the leds, remove the 3W, put down a dab of arctic alumina and the K2 on top, dry and resolder the + and -?

I am also curious if one can unsolder a emitter from a star, and solder a K2 in its place? If this can be done, can it be done with a 1W star and a 5W star?

StanTeate

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I done this with a few lights that I own with no ill effects. With the price of k2's I say just do it.

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
Emitters aren't held to the star by solder, and (the stars) are often destroyed in the removal process. There are some such as photonfanatic that can remove emitters and leave the star intact.

You may be able to use a K2 to replace a 1W LED (but would likely lose lumens), but be careful when replacing a 5W LED since they have higher Vf and depending on the circuit in the light a K2 might be ruined.

Last edited:

ouchmyfinger

Enlightened
It is pretty easy to remove emitters from stars without destroying them. I can not speak for K2's, but it is probably the same.

1) Heat up the leads with a soldering iron and use a toothpick to detach them from the star. Make sure they are totally detached.
2) Use pliers and/or a vice to bend the star a bit - the emitter should pop right off. In my (somewhat limited) experience, they are not held to the star very firmly. I have never destroyed one, and I'm not that coordinated.

Its probably a good idea to polish/sand the bottom of the emitter lightly to remove any left over thermal paste/epoxy.

StanTeate

Enlightened
I have removed emitters from stars before, but the star was destroyed in the process. I was wondering if there is anything I need to know about if attempting to NOT destroy the star. Will carefully warming up the solder under the emitter just enough to take the emitter off, destroy the emitter? And, once off, will warming the solder to attach the K2 Kill the K2?

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
StanTeate said:
I have removed emitters from stars before, but the star was destroyed in the process. I was wondering if there is anything I need to know about if attempting to NOT destroy the star. Will carefully warming up the solder under the emitter just enough to take the emitter off, destroy the emitter? And, once off, will warming the solder to attach the K2 Kill the K2?

The emitter leads are soldered, but the heatsink slug is epoxied to the star heatsink.

1. Unsolder the leads first.

2. Gently flex (do not bend) the star with pliers (non-marring) in both axis' and usually the emitter will pop right off.