How to tell a good window-tinter?

jellyfish414

Newly Enlightened
I got a new car recently and want to get the windows tinted. An aquaintence of mine told me his buddy tints windows at his shop. He said he had his windows tinted there, and I checked both vehicles out and they seemed to look OK.

As far as tint quality goes, I know only enough to check for air bubbles and alignment along the top of the window. What other signs could point to an unskilled window-tinter?

I should note that I'm currently living in a pretty small town in WA. There aren't really any businesses in town that do window tinting and I'd probably have to drive 90 miles to Portland or Seattle to get it done. The guy I'm thinkng about hiring is a Mexican dude. In my experience Mexican immigrants always work really hard and are great to hire as manual laborers, but when it comes to my car I really would like to get it done right.

Advice appreciated!

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check the local higher line car dealers for their suggestions and or ask some of the kids who have moded their cars.

Pops had his Saturn tinted from a mobile service the Saturn dealer had on file. He didnt have any choices and doesn't even know what film was installed. After 3 years, the tint had faded and bubbled. :(

Lots of sites for tint info...I don't know where to point you though. I used to be a Llumar installer in a past life and I still recco and use the product. Lots of new technology in window films so it depends on your budget and wants.

Some info:
http://www.llumar.com/na-eng/Automotive/auto.html

VWTim

Enlightened
Look for a place that's going to be around and offers a warranty on their tint/work. I don't like the idea of mobile tinting as you don't have as good dust control, tinting is like painting, you need it CLEAN or it will show. Where in WA are you? I've got a lot of friends in my car club all over WA. I know of one shop in Seattle/Tacoma I've heard recommend to, but that's it off the top of my head. Doubt you want to drive to Oregon, I've got a friend who owns his own tint shop, top notch work. He even does all the Police undercover vehicles.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Post anyway Tim, there are bound to be people in Oregon interested in a good window tinter. Myself, for example.........

:buddies:

VWTim

Enlightened
The shop in Eugene, OR my friend owns is Darkside Window tinting. 541.684.TINT
He's done my car and my parent's, as well as all my friends and most of the cars at my dad's office. Excellent work with a warranty. If anyone contacts him, let him know you were refered by VWTim, we're all into watecooled Volkswagen's.

The shop up north I've heard mentioned is Tommy's Tint, not sure where they're located, but Tacoma area IIRC.

Penguin

Enlightened
Many tint shops have a lifetime warrentee so if they have a warrentee, get it in writing. Make sure they use high-quality film as well. A couple good brands off the top of my head: 3M, Huper Optik, Solar Guard, SunTek, Pinnacle

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my Volvo V70 R tinted recently with Madico.

I would be happier with it if the shop was able to get the tint to stick where the windows have that stipple pattern. It ends up with a sort of shiny ring around the window, y'know? I'm not likin' that part at all, but I do love having super dark windows (I got super dark in back to hide computer gear) and they really do lower the temp inside.

The shop told me nothing sticks around there where the windows have that black paint sorta stippled in dots around the edge. I haven't had time to investigate whether something else would have worked better or whether another shop could have done a better job.

mosport

Enlightened
See if the shop uses water filtration, it reduces the chances of hard water spotting and residue problems between the film and glass.

Penguin already listed some good tint brands, the best quality is metalized film rather than dyed which can UV fade and turn purple. A good shop will also warranty their labour and not just the film they sell.

VWTim

Enlightened
I don't know of a good product that will cover those dots. My mom's Acura TL is the same way. One option is to just black that section out if it's a non-viewing portion of the glass.