just ordered 18650s for u2

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, i just ordered some fully protected 18650s for the u2 from batteryjunction... I took out the plastic sleave, and there is WAY too much rattle on both cr123s and with my r123s (which i guess are the same width as the 18650s).... so, what should i do to eliminate the rattle when the 18650s come in? The good thing is that the plastic sleave goes right back in.

-David

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
cheapo said:
well, i just ordered some fully protected 18650s for the u2 from batteryjunction... I took out the plastic sleave, and there is WAY too much rattle on both cr123s and with my r123s (which i guess are the same width as the 18650s).... so, what should i do to eliminate the rattle when the 18650s come in? The good thing is that the plastic sleave goes right back in.

-David

The 18650's should be fatter than the CR123's and R123's.... there should be no rattle (or at least minimal rattle). I actually had to go through a couple of 18650's just to find one that would fit inside my U2.

WP

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
i dont see how the 18650 could be so thick... there is just soo much room in there... is the platic sleave supposed to be so thick? anyone got a pick next to a r123 or cr123?

-david

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
bat1wh7.jpg

bat2mf9.jpg

WP

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
cheapo said:

-David

Hi David,

I just tested one of my BatteryJunction protected 18650's with my sleeve-removed U2. No rattle at all. BTW, my best research indicates that it's fine to run unprotected 18650's in your U2, since the U2's regulator cuts out somewhat above the overdischarge point of unprotected cells. 4stevens had a killer sale on LG 2400mAh unprotected cells. That is what I run in mine. There was a whole thread going on runtimes for the U2 using these cells.

I got my U2 sleeve out in-tact and just slip it back in for primary cell use.

Hope this helps,
Bill

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks guys, i was a wee bit worried there, i dont like battery rattle at all... anyway, i decided to go with protected ones because i will probably use them in other lights too. and i assume they are thicker too, eliminating the battery rattle.

btw, the batteryjunction batts should perform about the same as the lg ones right? Also, the LGs dont fit with the sleave in do they?

do you think it'll fit in pm6 battery tube?

-david

Last edited:

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
cheapo said:
btw, the batteryjunction batts should perform about the same as the lg ones right? Also, the LGs dont fit with the sleave in do they?
-david

BatteryJunction 18650 = 2200mAh / LG 18650 = 2400mAh so there is a difference in runtime.

Neither B-junction or LG cells will fit with the sleeve in.

If you have some free time and want to read up on the LG runtimes, go here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/128188&highlight=2400+u2

Great testing for the U2 done by chevrofreak. He really did a science project.

Cheers,
Bill

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
LG also just came out with 2600 mAh 18650's...almost 2 hours runtime on my U2 with all 6 levels of brightness.
cd-card-biz said:
BatteryJunction 18650 = 2200mAh / LG 18650 = 2400mAh so there is a difference in runtime.

Cheers,
Bill

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
They were two different lights. Not all lights will run the same even on the same batteries. LED and circuit variations can have an effect on runtime.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
are you saying that because there is no difference between the 2 bats? I strongly doubt there is any circuit variation between those two lights.

-David

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
cd-card-biz said:

Cheers,
Bill

I have the 2400mah LG cells in stock as well - don't forget to use the coupon code in this thread for 10% off.LINK

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
I have purchased lights and cells from Matt and can vouch for his factory fresh items and the fastest shipping I have ever had from a CPF dealer.

Thanks for the discount link, Matt. Missed it on my last order.

Bill

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
cheapo said:
are you saying that because there is no difference between the 2 bats? I strongly doubt there is any circuit variation between those two lights.

-David

There can be a lot of variation from light to light, as we've seen lately when people have bought multiples of the same model and did runtime/output tests on them.

You cant compare the two batteries in two different lights, they both need tested in the same light.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
cd-card-biz said:
I have purchased lights and cells from Matt and can vouch for his factory fresh items and the fastest shipping I have ever had from a CPF dealer.

Thanks for the discount link, Matt. Missed it on my last order.

Bill

Bill,

My pleasure and thanks for your kind words. If you shoot me an email with your order number I should be able to apply the code for you. :)