new output? on the surefire KL-5 led conversion head

Flashdark

Enlightened
2jzpower,

It is my understanding that they are just updating all of their lumen ratings as a result of their historical track record for output. They are also doing the same thing for their "waterproof" ratings, down to 33'(?) now for any and everything I think. Still the same product, more realistic power rating and waterproof ratings. Hope this helps.

Flashdark sends.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
My recent model KL5 easily puts out 100 lumens, and probably more like 120. I recently purchased a L6 that was new in box, but I think and older model L6, and it probably was more like 65 lumens. I had the lux V changed out, and the bias increased. Getting back to my recent model KL5, it is brighter than the two KL4's that I had (bounce with lightmeter), which were older model KL4's. I think that newer model KL4 and KL5 lights are at least putting out 100 lumens.

Bill

Size15's

Flashaholic
I understand that the original ratings for many of the LED models were a bit of a rush job (my words) getting samples ready for the SHOT Show and that the wrong sensor was used but since it gave an artificially lower output it'd have to do.
SureFire finally had the time to extensively re-test their LED products and decided that that increasing the rating was justified. I understand that hundreds of production samples have been tested in order to be certain that the revised ratings are realistic.

Regarding waterproofness - Most SureFires are designed, manufactured and assembled capable of being tested and rated waterproof to 33 metres (100ft).
Some are rated waterproof to deeper.
Few SureFires are rated as standard (examples are the X200 Series, and the Military Series Handgun WeaponLights).
Flashlights and WeaponLights that have been individually tested by SureFire and considered capable of being waterproof to "Navy" specs (33 metres) are given the suffix "N" (for example 6PN & M951PN).
The continuing success of this waterproofness requires close care of the o-ring and threads.
The only real way to know whether an individual SureFire is waterproof is to try it out. I would venture this is true for all things you expect/require to be waterproof.

Al

Paladin

Enlightened
A KL5 gets VERY hot during normal operation. Mine shows about a 25 degree increase (hit 105.7) above ambient temperature (80) in the first 10 minutes when running from 3 cells. With a 2 cell body it took around 24 minutes to hit the same 106 degrees. Not the correct tool for tasks which take much time, IMO. For running 30 minutes and longer, I suggest wearing gloves...

Per Surefire:

"Caution: The L5 is a high-output lighting device and should not be left on unattended. External surface temperature will rise during prolonged operation; this is a normal operating phenomenon."

Paladin

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Paladin, your KL5 was running in direct drive, not regulating, on three CR123's. Very few KL5's will regulate on three batteries or two LiIon's. Mine also becomes very hot on three cells or two LiIon's, and output almost doubles, not good. I am able to hold my KL5 running on one 18650 (TB body) for over an hour, and have done this several times cleaning out my garage, and other tasks. My KL4, however, became very, very hot, when driven on 18650, or two CR123's, and I refused to use it past 10 minutes.

Bill