Fenix P1 arrived DOA.

ericg533

Newly Enlightened
Yup. Well, it's not totally DOA. My problem is that there is an extremely small area on the twisty where the light will actually turn on. I have to fiddle with it for like 20 seconds to get the twist at exactly the right spot for it to turn on. Any ideas for a fix?

carrot

Flashaholic
Are you using Surefire cells? Reportedly the Fenix P1 may have a problem with Surefire cells due to the size and hardness of the foam donut.

carrot

Flashaholic
I find that if I crank down the head TOO far on my P1 it shuts itself off (or shorts out?) but I can easily turn it on with one hand and not too fiddly. You should probably contact the dealer you purchased it from... or hope somebody else comes up with something.

liqht

Newly Enlightened
thoroughly clean all electrical contact points, including top and bottom of battery as well as the places where these touch the flashlight. also clean threads on both the head and the body.

if after having done this there is still a problem, i would suspect a broken solder joint or component, for which in either case, the appropriate remedy is to return to the vendor for a replacement.

EDIT P.S. i seem to recall an issue with the earliest P1s where the foam ring at the bottom of the body would not compress sufficiently to allow the battery to make contact. the newer ones are supposed to have a shorter or more compressible foam ring. one way you might verify this is the problem would be to remove the foam ring completely and see if the light consistently turns on.

Last edited:

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
The P1 I got for my bro-in-law developed a problem. It arrived fine, but after a while, it wouldn't turn on using primary 123As. It'd work fine on R123As...has something to do with the length. Tried various brands of 123As, and still no light most of the time, regardless of how tight he twisted. On a rare occasion, it would light up, but dimly. I tested the head independent of the tube and it seems part of the contact ring has higher resistance. When I touch one part, it would light up full bright...the other part, only dimly. But the battery tube doesn't seem to be making contact any longer, and on the rare occasion it did, it would only contact the higher resistance portion of the head/contact ring. He sent it back to the Fenix Store also. Good thing for David's customer support!