Looking for high quality 5mm UV LED source

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone got a line on these, I'd appreciate a pointer. Prefer lower wavelength vs the 395nm variety.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Not 5mm, but I have a Don-built Aleph with some Nichia high-power, 350ish nM LED. It shows details on my driver's license and $100 bills that the 395 nM ones dont. I hear it's an expensive LED!
You might EM Don for the details.

Larry

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
tvodrd said:
Not 5mm, but I have a Don-built Aleph with some Nichia high-power, 350ish nM LED. It shows details on my driver's license and $100 bills that the 395 nM ones dont. I hear it's an expensive LED!
You might EM Don for the details.

Larry

Larry, I think those are the Cree's. You're right, they expensive -- about $25 from the shop. YOW! I'm looking for something more like a Ford or Chevy in price/performance instead of a Ferrari. Thanks for the tip though :)

Ken_McE said:

Funny, I just fired off an email to them ten minutes ago. I'm always afraid my email inquiry gets lost/dumped into the trash.

Keep 'em coming guys.

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
While the units from Fox seems to be a shorter wavelength, they're pretty weak. I have a couple of loose ones as well as a flashlight that was built using them, and I have to get REALLY clsoe to the object being tested in order to get a useful amount of fluorescence.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
PhotonWrangler said:
While the units from Fox seems to be a shorter wavelength, they're pretty weak. I have a couple of loose ones as well as a flashlight that was built using them, and I have to get REALLY clsoe to the object being tested in order to get a useful amount of fluorescence.

Thanks, that's good to know. The search continues.

L

LITEmania

370-375nm 5mmLED with metal can
etendue_185.jpg

http://litemania.com/front/php/product.php?product_no=185&main_cate_no=102&display_group=1

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Hi CM,

The Nichia I was referring to is here. That was a year ago and hopefully the prices have come down! I have it and the Cree in near identical Alephs and can bring them to Phoenix next saturday. :)

Larry

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
tvodrd said:
Hi CM,

The Nichia I was referring to is here. That was a year ago and hopefully the prices have come down! I have it and the Cree in near identical Alephs and can bring them to Phoenix next saturday. :)

Larry

WHOA! While they don't meet my needs for this project, I'm thinking TERMINATOR, as in scorpions, look out. And what do you mean by "bring them to Phoenix next Saturday?"

ETA: Never mind. I won't be able to make that GT which is too bad -- I'm going to miss an opportunity to meet a CPF celebrity. My chances of sneaking out of a pig roast at a family-related function to go to a flashaholic GT is nil :(

Last edited:

lotsaluck

Newly Enlightened
CM... Depending on what you are going to use them for I'll help you out with some extras. I'm local to you and I PM'd you my number....

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Major bummer!! :( I :bow: to you EE guys(!) and your celebrity status here equals or exceeds mine! (IMO) I have comitted to being there, and will bring the lights, just in case! :nana:

Larry

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
lotsaluck said:
CM... Depending on what you are going to use them for I'll help you out with some extras. I'm local to you and I PM'd you my number....

I'll give you a call sometime today. Thanks.

tvodrd said:
... I :bow: to you EE guys(!) and your celebrity status here equals or exceeds mine! Larry

Nah, I'm just a weenie with a cheap soldering iron. Lathe guys, they do all the hard work.

NewBie said:
Here are a few of my old pics of the CREE UV in action:...

Newbie, excellent pics (as always, and thanks for the info on Bivar.

nemul said:
these are THE best 5mm (if they are from nichia) i have 365nm and they blow all other UV 5mm out of the water!
I looked at those and while not cheap, I'm keeping Litemania's link tucked away.

Thanks for all the info guys. You guys rock!

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could check with www.UVflashlights.com - they have a nice wavelength/usage chart there as well.

They have a member here who may be able to sell you some 385nm 5mm LEDs.

The Fox UV ones are not very powerful.

The CreeUVs are very impressive and have very high output but have a longer wavelength.

Paul