Inova X1

cyberspyder

Enlightened
well, as some of you know, i got the X1 about a week ago, and i'm very impressed with the output for a light that size. however, only the hotspot is even/smooth, while there are lots of rings beyond that. is that normal? also, the hotspot is not consistantly white. there are traces of yellow around the edge of the hotspot.

Brendan

AlexSchira

Enlightened
The yellow tint around the edges can also be found on newer LED lights using the new Nichia white modules. I noticed it with the newer Photons, Inova upgraded the LED as well as adding a reflector for this new model. I'm not sure if it is indeed Nichia, but that's completely normal.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you will continue to like it, I have picked up various 1 AA and AAA lights since I got my X1 (new version) and the X1 is still the one I carry every day. Nothing I have found has all the characteristics it brings to the table. Many have some, but none all of them.

pizzaman

Enlightened
cyberspyder,

Try a diffuser on the len. You can go to wally world and pick up a roll of contact brand clear contact paper. Cut out a small circle and apply to the lens. It will diffuse the beam and reduce/eliminate the beam artifacts. You might find it to be a more useful all-around beam. If you don't like it, you can easily remove it with no residue left.

I have clear contact paper diffusers on at least half of my flashlights with pleasing results.

Good luck, TR