Anyone ever have a broken SF twistie tailcap?

afultz075

Newly Enlightened
Well I lent my L1 out over the weekend and got it back. I notice now that I have to torque the tailcap down WAY hard to get to high power. Before it was a nice smooth transition...now the tail cap has to be tightened all the way down to access high power mode. I have no idea what happened...
I put the tailcap from my L2 on it and it functions as normal, so i've isolated the problem to the tailcap.
Anyone know what the problem may be...or more importantly is SF will replace the tailcap.

pilotmx5

Newly Enlightened
Had something similar happen to my L2 when i first got it. After about a month the button part didn't function properly and I can't really recall (over a year ago) what the exact problem was. I called SF, 4 days later there was a brand new tail cap in my mailbox. I will continue to purchase their products because of the customer service and their products value.

ericg533

Newly Enlightened
If anything made by SureFire breaks during normal operation, then it will be fixed/replaced.

JimmyB

Enlightened
If whoever borrowed it over-tightened the cap, it may have crushed the positive contact spring. If so, the cap would have to be tightened more than usual to make contact. Check to see what the positve contact on one of the batteries looks like. If one looks a little crushed, the cap may have been over-tightened. The tailcap spring or plastic ring may have been crushed too. This is all just a guess on my part.

SunStar

Enlightened
I've had problems with 2 SF twisties that would not activate the light 100% of the time. Both required either excessive pressure or pressure to the side of the button to activate. More times than not - you could press but darkness remained. SF replaced both for me - no questions asked.

You may want to give them a call to see if any adjustments can be made. If not, request another or a swap for another.

afultz075

Newly Enlightened
Well, it's definately not the positive contact spring in the inside of the body since my L2 tailcap makes it work normally.

Fortunately it appears that SF will replace it. I think that moral of the story is, dont ever lend out a light again unless it's a cheaper, more simple one that I don't care about as much, like my 6P.

GregWormald

Enlightened
Unfortunately, this problem was known in Shakespeare's day:
"Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry."
(I had to look up husbandry--the management and conservation of resources)
Greg