Streamlight 4AA luxeon as a headlamp.

Tachyon

Newly Enlightened
Hi folks,

I'm curious to know whether any of you has tried to make a headlamp using the lamp assembly from a SL PP 4AA luxeon. I bought Dae's 3 Watt headlamp and surprisingly the lamp assembly from the SL 4AA is a snug fit in it provided you remove the existing LED circuit.

I'm trying to figure out a way to connect the wires from the headlamp to the SL 4AA luxeon assembly without having to solder it in place. That way I can remove the assemly and put it back in my SL 4AA body for use as a flashlight again when needed. Hopefully the circuit inside the SL LED assembly will function properly with just the three batteries.

I guess this setup will give the most throw for a headlamp! A diffuser can be used for more flood if needed.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.

Bopanna

MSI

Enlightened
I prefer broad beams on headlamps, StreamLight Argo HP has the best beam profile of the headlamps I have tried. Having a narrow beamed headlamp is IMO not very useful, you will also have to move your head a lot. If used in the hand instead you can just move your eyes instead of your hole head when moving the narrow beam around.
When it comes to diffusers I'm not fond of them at all since they waste so much light outside of the usable area.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
MSI said:
...When it comes to diffusers I'm not fond of them at all since they waste so much light outside of the usable area.

Perfect explaination!

This is why heavy diffusers (such as the F04) are not the best for a headlamp... My 17mm EOS w/ mild diffuser... does a much better job of area illumination than my tikka XP (heavy diffuser) (on the same output) just do to the fact that the EOS is more productive with the light it transmits to the target more localizing it into the field of view rather than wasting it to sides...

---

yeah i don't really feel that the SL 4xAA PP Lux is made to be worn... :)... it is however an excellent compliment to a headlamp.. you have your headlamp for area illumination ... and your torch for longer distance viewing...

Tachyon

Newly Enlightened
I should have mentioned this earlier but I plan on using the headlamp to spot wildlife at night. That's why I'd like the added throw. For use around camp etc. I prefer my PT EOS.

Bopanna

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
Might be pretty useful for mountainbiking at night too... I remember a trip that was ended by a tree... I swear, it jumped on the track just when I was approaching... or maybe I was just fiddling with my trip computer and forgot to look where I was going... :ohgeez: Anyway, a bit more light from my headlamp would have been good on that trip

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
MayCooper said:
Might be pretty useful for mountainbiking at night too... I remember a trip that was ended by a tree... I swear, it jumped on the track just when I was approaching... or maybe I was just fiddling with my trip computer and forgot to look where I was going... :ohgeez: Anyway, a bit more light from my headlamp would have been good on that trip
i'd think that an apex would make an excellent bike headlamp...