custom 8AA 5W body

r2

Enlightened
There has been much discussion about fitting 6AA and 8AA battery configurations into standard 2D flashlight bodies. What about a custom body?

2D Maglites are huge compared to the cheap plastic 2D lights you can get for a couple bucks. The tailcap has room for a spare bulb and the switch mechanism takes as much space as another D cell, plus the head is big to hold the adjustable reflector. Most competitors seem to follow suit, so the Brinkmanns and Garritys are also huge. Why can't we get something with quality construction that is the size of those crappy cheap lights?

Here's what I want to see:

A custom 8AA battery tube. About the size of a 2D tube, but with dividers sticking in from the sides far enough to keep 4 columns of AA cells separate from each other. The tail is a little tricky since the orientation matters. Perhaps a single round tube with a sealed end would be better. It could include a plastic insert to divide the AAs and connect them at the back end. Ideally one could wire it up as 8AA in series or 4AAx2 in parallel/series.

The head would be small, maybe a bit larger than the tube but not much. It could hold 30mm optics or a Carley reflector (not sure of the size on those).

Basically, something like an aluminum version of the PT Surge suitable for 5W LS mods. How much interest would there be in something like this? Can anyone with machining skills/experience estimate what something like this would cost?

There seems to be no middle ground right now--you can get compact, well-built lights that use lithiums (or can only power a 1W emitter) and then you jump up to oversized lights that seem to take pride in being huge. Where are the Tektite 3C sized aluminum lights and the PT Surge sized aluminum lights and the 2D lights that don't look like they should be holding 3D cells? Where are the big lights that don't throw light density out the window?

Please! Someone with the skills help us fill in the gap!

- Russ

Illuminated

Enlightened
Just an idea...a custom body machined from solid bar stock (alum or even non-metallic material). Bore 3 or four AA-sized holes through it's length.

Machine a tailcap with a grove suitable for an o-ring in a face-seal configuration. Use a small dowell pin (or 2) to index the cap so it fits on in only the correct orientation. Fasten tailcap to body with a knurled thumbscrew, small flathead screws, or whatever method you prefer.

Tailcap would need an insulated circuit board for connecting cells in series, along with some type of spring-loaded battery contacts.

Head-end would also need a circuit board or something for series connection of cells. Head-end of body could also be sealed with face-seal o-ring and fastened to head with socket-head cap screws from inside the head (and don't forget alignment dowells).

Head could be machined to whatever dimensions are desired for emitter or LA.

Then there must be some type of switch incorporated...

I know, it's a lot of machine work, but it'd be impressive (maybe).

John

WS6mro

Newly Enlightened
My 2D Maglite holds 8AA's

I'll show you how tomorrow.
smile.gif

Matt

moraino

Enlightened
Battery2.jpg

Bat+in+Mag.jpg

8AA NiMh with tab are gethered with 3M scotch tape and a DEAN connector for charging.

It drives a 6 cell Magnum star in a 2D light.

moraino

Enlightened
Lux Luthor

I am sorry for the picture not showing. It's weird, I can see it from my PC.

The purpose is for those who don't mind building their own 8AA Nimh pack with simple 3M scotch tape plus 2 board act like positive and negative terminals. Simple soldering as well.

It fits the 2D perfectely. It drives a Magnum star 6cell very bright. The hot spot is actually brighter than my Tigerlight but smaller of course and the spill is about 70% as bright.

There is still room for whatever cct to drive a 5W LS if so desired.

Please take a look at my humble picture website. Pictures are taken either with fladbed scanner or my puny Intel webcam.
http://photos.yahoo.com/pilgrim1956

Henry