New Member/Old Problem

Gromulus

Newly Enlightened
After lurking in the background the past few months I have decided to post a thread.

First things first: I hate you guys! My problem: bad enough with the firearms, knives, camping/backpacking equipment - now it's flashlights. My wife doesn't understand. She sees me reading this forum and just shakes her head.

I do a lot of outdoor activities and live in a semi-rural area. After having owned several Mags of various sizes (and always being disappointed), I have begun a collection of sorts:

1) ARC AAA-P: A great little light I keep on my keyring. Very well-built with a solid feel. Surprisingly, it gets a lot of use. Excellent run-times!

2) Princeton Tec Apex: Being a camper and backpacker, a good headlamp is very important to me. This unit fits the bill perfectly with it's bright Luxeon III main light for general outdoor use and the 5mm LEDs for close up camp and in-tent use. Not cheap, but a nice upgrade over the old Petzl unit I "retired".

3) Photon Freedom: A surprisingly bright light in a small package. I don't use one myself (ARC AAA instead), but I bought several for my wife, daughters, and elderly father to keep on their keyrings. Very small and simple for them to use.

4) Inova X1: This light seems to be just perfect for so many uses such as inside power failures to walking the dog at night. Fantastic run time and a nice fit in the hand. I have one in each vehicle as well as one in my nightstand.

5) River Rock LED lantern: A great (and economical) light for backpacking and in-tent use. I own a few for camping and home power failures. Gave one to my dad as well.

6) Fenix L2P: A very nice 2AA light. I put a clip from an old AA Mag on it and carry it in my shirt pocket. Great for use at work when I am the last one to leave (much too frequently!) and I have to get something from another area of the building when the lights are off. I also love the clicky! Very good run-time for it's output.

7) Fenix P1: My newest addition - thanks to a great degree from all the feedback on this forum! A very powerful light for it's size but (IMO) not that much more output than my L2P. I just got it the other day and put a Duracell primary in it and took it out to the woods in back of my house for some general ("unscientific") comparison. As you can see I like AA and AAA batteries and am now wondering if this was a good addition. Very small for my hand and slower to operate than my L2P.

8) Streamlight ProPoly Luxeon 4AA: OK. This light has to be the best torch for the money. When I use it I often wonder why I really need any other lights (besides my ARC and Apex). For use at work I rely on it's safety ratings. A great size for general use with fantastic regulated runtimes. I have purchased several and keep them in the house, garage, and each vehicle. For me this has a good balance between flood and throw for use outside. I have also purchased several of them for others. When someone asks "what is a low cost light for general use", I always recommend the ProPoly.

9) Streamlight ProPoly Luxeon 3C: My standard outside emergency light. If I hear a noise outside/in the woods I grab this light (and my Glock 23). Also used for night hikes while camping. A bit more throw than the 4AA with longer runtimes. I love the belt clip and use it for general carry. Best of all with the ProPolys: no more "holes" ala Mag units!

I (and my wife) hope that's all for the time being, although the Surefire A2 always looms like a beacon (pun intended). And now that I have the P1 perhaps rechargeable 123s are an option. Time will tell.

Last edited:

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are addicted! I also started out with guns and knives and I thought that my MiniMag with badboy and glass lens was one of the best lights I could have for hunting......man was I wrong!! I really like custom lights such as the Aleph 111 PD, 27 Lt, Maxlite AA and others I can't recall at the moment. Actually I now like these custom lights more than my firemarms and knives, my friends are amazed at my new "taste". You will learn a lot of information on this forum as they are really some smart guys here regarding the lights and batteries, etc;

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gromulus said:
After having owned several Mags of various sizes (and always being disappointed),
I used to hate Mags for the same reason. Now I love them, because I have discovered that they are so easy to make so much better, and you end up with a sense of accomplishment when you make them better. Just consider the off-the-shelf Maglite as a strarting point on the the way to a really great flashlight.

A few examples:
Maglites.png

1. USL (Ultimate Stealth Light) - so bright the heat from it will fry an egg or start a campfire in 15 seconds.

Pict0254.jpg

Starting a fire

2. Mag 1C 3w LED throw master powered with li-ion 18650

3. Mag11 - 600 Lumens out the front

4. Mag85 with FM-3V 3" head - 800+ lumens out the front

5. Mag 1C with multimode, multicolor, multi LED dropin bulb replacement

6. Mag 1D 10w HID

7. Mag 1.5D 3w LED for super long run time

8. Mag 1xAA with 3w LED runing on li-ion 14500

9. (last light on the right, actually labeled 7) Mag 1xAA 3w LED with Niteize IQ multimode tail switch.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Gromulus:)

Welcome at this nice place here:grin2:

You will find a lot of great people and a knowledge about lights.....:wow:.

But be carefull, it could be expensive:naughty:

@JimH

The picture with the egg in the pan:crackup::crackup::crackup:

Best regards

____
Tom

Ironhog81

Newly Enlightened
Yes this site is addictive.

You have "hooked" an old cop who lived with Mag-lites.
I have added about 10 new lights since I got here.
Can't wait for new Fenix P1 on order.
Love the LOP I just got.
Since I still train people, the info here is great and I can relate this to the trainees.
Got hooked with Surefire 951 on M4gery.
Durn that Scorpion 500 is bright.
I will probably have a couple of lights hanging off it before I an finished.
Thanks for all the good info here.
Even salvaged my 3 old 3 D cell mags with LEDs.
Your Cajun connection,
Sid in Baton Rouge, Louisiana
PS how to upgrade the Magcharger again? 1185's?

Sharpdogs

Enlightened
Welcome aboard. What addiction? It's a hobby like playing golf or collecting stamps. I tell my wife it's cheaper than collecting girlfriends. She says I will probably live longer if I stick to flashlights.

alvin70

Newly Enlightened
This explaination always works on my wife, its better for me to be at home everyday on the internet and playing with my " flashlight's " than out with my buddies drinking or clubbing.

At the end of the day, i look forward to coming home to my wife, my newborn baby boy which is my brightest light ever and never have to worry about missing out on anything, :grin2:

Btw welcome to CPF, enjoy your stay and hopefully you are able to built up your collection, believe me you will, :naughty: soon.

alvin :)