New Self-Defense PODCAST by a CPF member

yalskey

Enlightened
We all know that one good use for flashlights is for self-defense. To temporarily blind an assailant.

I like to invite all CPF members to subscribe to my new podcast about self-defense, personal protection, safety, security, and the like.

This is NOT martial arts or karate B.S. It is practical, effective, and realistic talk on how to save yourself and your family from crime and violence.

Talking about assault, murder, and rape gets kinda dark at times; so we inject some wit and humor to lighten things up a bit. (get it? lighten things up? this is the CPF.... hello?)

Anyways, I would really enjoy it if you guys would check it out and let me know what you think.

The website is http://www.SelfDefenseShow.com

Thank you my fellow flashlight nerds :)

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gee! I just noticed I am completely illiterate to podcasts, a total noob!, any podcast for dummies tutorials?

yalskey

Enlightened
A Podcast is like a radio show (that most anyone can make with a standard computer) that's aired or published to the internet. Each episode of the show is contained in a .mp3 (audio) file that you can download off the person's website (whom ever is doing the podcast). Additionally, you can "subscribe" to a podcast much the same as you can subscribe to a magazine. Then, anytime a new episode is released, it will automatically download to your computer and be ready to listen to.

To do all this is very easy. All you need is a "pod catcher" (my term). It's a piece of software that let's you download, subscribe, and browse the many thousands of available podcasts. By and away the most popular software for this is Apple's iTunes. It is totally free, works on both PC and Mac computers, and is super easy to install and work with.

All you need to do is:
1. Go to: http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/
2. Install iTunes on your computer
3. Go to: http://www.SelfDefenseShow.com
4. Click on the "Podcast" link at the top of the website
5. Click the purple "Subscribe" button in the upper right part of the webpage

Blam! Your done! iTunes will open up and give you a subscription to the show. iTunes always organizes all your podcast episodes that have been downloaded into its "Podcast" section; it's the purple icon on the left most pane of the iTunes screen. You will see that you can download more episodes of that specific podcast by clicking the "Get" button besides each line of listing under the podcast name.

If you would like to see what other podcasts our out there (there's at least 5 on any given subject in the world)... in iTunes, make sure you are in the "Podcast" section, and click the "Podcast Directory" link at the bottom of the window. This will take you to iTunes Music Store Podcast listings, where you can search for podcasts of your interest.

The very best part of this whole thing, is that everything is FREE! Nothing to buy, no strings attached. You can really find a lot of amazing podcasts out there; put out by normal everyday people, and by big comerical broadcasters too (like ABC, NBC, ESPN, etc.)

Let me know if you have any questions, and I hope this helped :) Welcome to the wonderful world of podcasts :)

[email protected]

Delvance

Enlightened
Martial arts isn't bs...:(
(yes i know people do it for a few months and think they are invincible, but they just havn't been properly trained in self defence/offence and don't apply other techniques/scenarios to it)

but i will check it out, sounds interesting. Thought i didn't have itunes but remembered the new quicktimes forces me to install it :mad: ...well at least i'm going to use it now lol.

Edit - Your website doesn't seem to allow me to copy the URL to paste into itunes. Running iexplorer, thought i'd let you know!

Last edited:

yalskey

Enlightened
It is ABSOLUTELY B.S. when it comes to actual self-defense. I love martial arts (I was a head instructor for a major school for 10 years), but to say it's a good method of real-life self-defense is a complete and total inaccuracy. It is one of my biggest goals to educate people as to the reasons behind this stance, as to leave people ignorant on this fact would be just a irresponsible as the thousands of martial arts schools out there that tell thier student's that karate is "good for self-defense".

No offense intended dude... seriously... I'm not trying to snap back at you, but this subject is near and dear to my heart.

Thanks for checking it out, and let me know if you have any feedback. The episodes that are posted there now are kind of casual / funny and they talk about news stories, but future episode will get more in-depth to the "self-defense" meat / advice.

Last edited:

yalskey

Enlightened
If you have iTunes installed, all you have to do is click the purple "Subscribe" button on the Podcast page. It will automatically do the rest for you.

Alternately, you could follow the "more manual" instructions directly above the purple subscribe button on the podcast page.

BTW, to copy a link, right-click on the link and then left click on the "Copy Link Location" or something like that.... then you can paste it into the text box that appears when you click the Advanced menu, Subscribe to Podcast, in iTunes.

Delvance

Enlightened
yalskey said:
It is ABSOLUTELY B.S. when it comes to actual self-defense. I love martial arts (I was a head instructor for a major school for 10 years), but to say it's a good method of real-life self-defense is a complete and total inaccuracy. It is one of my biggest goals to educate people as to the reasons behind this stance, as to leave people ignorant on this fact would be just a irresponsible as the thousands of martial arts schools out there that tell thier student's that karate is "good for self-defense".

Lol, yeah i agree, not totally but i do for the most part.
Some people who study martial arts/combat techniques can actually extract the best/most effective/brutal parts of it and blend it into something usable (along with other moves from different styles etc and brute force street tactics) as a defence or defence leading into offence situation. With someone that actively thinks about it, i'd be alot less fast about dismissing them as not being capable of effectively defending themselves though.

But yeah, for the most part. Someone studying strictly one discipline and becomes rigid with it, will quicly learn it is pretty useless when it comes to the real thing. People grapple or you end up on the floor and the formerly "expert" then doesn't know what to do and gets injured.

I think i just got itunes working with the podcast thingy. Got to check it out now!

Ahh didn't think of right clicking :ohgeez: i was trying to highlight it lol.

yalskey

Enlightened
Hope you enjoy it my friend... like I said, the next several episodes should be a bit more informative on actual detailed self-defense advice. We wanted to make the first several episodes kind of friendly and light to introduce ourselves.

In episode 008, we will dedicate the whole show to the issue we have been discussing... that being, why is martial arts and karate NOT good for self-defense... I really hope you check it out.

Thanks so much for listening bro :)

Delvance

Enlightened
Listening to 006. Haha, good injections of humour there!

Looking forward to hearing 008. Reminds me actually...i've got friends that took some defense classes like taekwondo/karate etc for awhile then went looking for trouble lol...they learnt the topic at hand the hard way haha.

My pleasure yalskey!

yalskey

Enlightened
I'm certainly willing to consider your points Samuel, if you would like to tell them to me.

As far as my side of the argument, if you would like to go deeper than "face value", please check out my podcast....

The Self-Defense Show, episode 008 (coming out in a few days)

Information on how to get to the website and subscribe to the podcast is in the above posts of this thread.

Thanks for interjecting your stance however, as I hold in high regard the process of logical and respectful debate. :)

Samuel

Enlightened
I believe our opposing points of view lie largely in semantics and articulation. E.g. why mention "karate" and "martial arts" separately? In my definitions, "karate" IS a "martial art" (as well as western boxing, fencing, wrestling, firearms training, etc)...

yalskey

Enlightened
I listed them both because I have found that some people refer to the martial arts as "Karate" (especially in the USA, the terms are used interchangably), and vise versa.

I agree with you that Karate is a style of martial arts. However I don't agree that self-defense is a sub-set of martial arts.

Can martial arts be used in self-defense? Absolutely. Do the vast majority of martial arts school teach how to use it effectively in a savage life-or-death situation? Absolutely NOT.

Self-Defense is a legal term. It is the act of protecting yourself (or your family) from undue harm / attacks. It is justifiable when you follow specific laws that govern your actions in response to an attack.

There are many MAJOR areas of violent crime that the world of martial arts completely ignores (on a whole). The awareness, prevention, deterance, of crime before it happens. The psychological aspects that will run through your mind before, during, and especially afterwards (emotional recovery, and PTSD). The legal aspects... what constitutes justifiable self-defense in your area? What to say to the police, on the court room stand, to the doctor in the ER?

There are so many incomplete areas of education in the world of martial arts I can't list them all here. I'll do my best to cover every major point in my Podcast 008.

Thanks for sharing your vantage point and experience :)

Samuel

Enlightened
Ok, I see a couple of issues that you are bringing up -

1. looking "big picture"
2. practicality/realism of training

1. My definition of "self-defense" also agrees with yours in that it encompasses more than just physical altercation skill sets/techniques/ability. There is nothing wrong, however, in focusing training on a specific or smaller portion of "self-defense" as long as you (the student) are aware that "there is more to it than that". And, if/when everything else has "failed" and the S is hitting the fan, it Would be good to have some "martial arts" training under your belt. Btw, just fyi, there Are styles/systems/schools that DO teach "big picture" and thinking "outside the box" - I've trained with some of them...

2. I also agree that MA and SD training can vary immensely - in all sorts of ways. Without getting into the subject of "how to choose a martial art and/or martial art school", here again, we are talking about semantics. Training in itself is Not the same as poor/ineffective/unrealistic/etc Training. Therein lies perhaps the biggest disagreement I have with your statement. Not All MA training is "bad" or "BS" or is Not "practical", "realistic", and/or "effective" and suggesting that they (All) are is inaccurate. Yes, there are those systems/schools out there that will not offer you much in the way of winning/surviving a life/death situation (even if they are only focused on dealing with the incident itself) but again, not every MA is sport oriented. Not every MA has been watered down. Not every MA is BS. One of the problems I see is that most beginners don't know what to look for, can't tell good from bad, and/or make the wrong choice for their goals/purposes.

Btw, they way I see it, among all the various types of training and education you offer, you Are also teaching martial arts... ;)

yalskey

Enlightened
Samuel said:
Ok, I see a couple of issues that you are bringing up -

1. looking "big picture"
2. practicality/realism of training

1. My definition of "self-defense" also agrees with yours in that it encompasses more than just physical altercation skill sets/techniques/ability. There is nothing wrong, however, in focusing training on a specific or smaller portion of "self-defense" as long as you (the student) are aware that "there is more to it than that". And, if/when everything else has "failed" and the S is hitting the fan, it Would be good to have some "martial arts" training under your belt. Btw, just fyi, there Are styles/systems/schools that DO teach "big picture" and thinking "outside the box" - I've trained with some of them...

2. I also agree that MA and SD training can vary immensely - in all sorts of ways. Without getting into the subject of "how to choose a martial art and/or martial art school", here again, we are talking about semantics. Training in itself is Not the same as poor/ineffective/unrealistic/etc Training. Therein lies perhaps the biggest disagreement I have with your statement. Not All MA training is "bad" or "BS" or is Not "practical", "realistic", and/or "effective" and suggesting that they (All) are is inaccurate. Yes, there are those systems/schools out there that will not offer you much in the way of winning/surviving a life/death situation (even if they are only focused on dealing with the incident itself) but again, not every MA is sport oriented. Not every MA has been watered down. Not every MA is BS. One of the problems I see is that most beginners don't know what to look for, can't tell good from bad, and/or make the wrong choice for their goals/purposes.

Btw, they way I see it, among all the various types of training and education you offer, you Are also teaching martial arts... ;)

Ok, lemme see if I can reply here. I think we are pretty close on this issue, with just a few varying points seperating us... which is ok of course.

In your #1, you basically state that it is ok to teach just the physical/technique stuff in isolation so long as the student knows it's just one piece of the puzzle that they are learning (I think I summarized that fairly well).

My reply would be that if you looked at the martial arts world/industry as a whole, I would bet that 95 to 99% of all the schools / systems out there DO NOT educate thier student's that they are not learning the "big picture". I know because I was deeply involved in that world / industry for more then a decade. In fact, they market / advertise that they ARE a good solution for protecting yourself from being attacked.

I would also add that just teaching the physical stuff alone, is highly irresponsible for an educator to do. This would be parallel to learning how to operate a handgun without learning the laws related to owning and using that firearm... or the safety measures needed to keep that gun safely in your home (away from kids for example).

Just teaching the physical techniques draws false emphasis on the role that those techniques play in surviving a violent encounter. Ultimately, it does a disservice to the student, who depends on thier teacher / school to prepare them to handle violence... as they probably advertised / said they would.

You are right... there are "some" martial arts systems / schools out there that do a responsible job with what I've been talking about... but they are very rare, and they are the exception and not the rule it seems.

You also suggest (in your second statement) that martial arts prepare you for the actual incident. You said "(even if they are only focused on dealing with the incident itself)". I would argue that martial arts (again, I'm speaking on a whole here) IS NOT even good for preparing you for the incident itself. Martial arts training generally neglects the physiological / bio-chemical changes that happen to your body when you are in an aroused (stress) state (life-or-death).

They don't teach your about the principal of "mind drifting" in a struggle. They don't explain any of the verbal or physco-dynamic principals involved. They don't go into your moral disposition about inflicting harm and/or killing the attacker. etc. etc. etc. So with all these missing pieces, and many more I'm too lazy to type out :) what part of "the actual incident" is martial arts focusing on?

Even the way you learn martial arts is a poor educational method for survival training. This is a huge point that I'm not going to do justice to in this post, but hopefully I will be able to talk about in episode 008 on my podcast.

Basically, martial arts (again, I'm speaking generally here, there will always be exceptions to anything) doesn't incorporate realistic scenario simulations that trigger the adrenal-stress response in the target student. Martial Arts focus on the techniques, and technique execution as compared to an ideal form.... NOT on response effectiveness, and goal achievement. In other words, they tend to emphasize how you do a technique, rather then if you can effectively manage a violent situation.

Anyway, there is like 10 more pages of stuff I could type out here, but again, I'm lazy :)

Thanks for the debate my friend :)

Samuel

Enlightened
Well, seeing as how my disagreement is with just a very "small" part of your opinions/philosophies, I'd say we are more "discussing" than "debating"... ;)

I believe that it is difficult to comprehensively discuss this topic via a slower medium like posting in a forum. I too have a lot of thoughts/opinions on this subject as it is also something I am passionate about.

I do agree with almost everything you're saying. I think it's because I've been fortunate enough to be part of your "minority" that I am reacting in this manner. I also think that it's a little hard for me to remember what it was like for me in the beginning because it's been so long and because the vast majority of my training has been worthwhile, comprehensive, realistic, practical, etal.

What I meant by training for the "actual incident" is when the fight is actually on (despite the productive/good member of society's best efforts to avoid it), being able to physically and mentally win. Not Every MA/school does a poor job of preparing for that.

So, I guess what I'm getting at is that instead of saying this:
"Basically, martial arts (again, I'm speaking generally here, there will always be exceptions to anything) doesn't incorporate realistic scenario simulations that trigger the adrenal-stress response in the target student. Martial Arts focus on the techniques, and technique execution as compared to an ideal form.... NOT on response effectiveness, and goal achievement. In other words, they tend to emphasize how you do a technique, rather then if you can effectively manage a violent situation."

I would be happier to see you say something more along the lines of "[insert your percentage/number of choice - such as "many" or "most" or 99.99%, etc] of martial arts instructors/schools do not do this or that..." rather than "Martial Arts" (itself) does not do this or do that.

yalskey

Enlightened
I think we are pretty much on the same page too.

If you would like the check out my podcast, especially 008 (will be released tonight), and let me know what you think. If you want, you can call my comment voice mail system at 206-600-5520 and leave your opinion, and I will include it in episode 009.

As far as your last paragraph...
So we are talking about a linguistic point here eh? LOL Ok, ok... I know I should probably say it like you suggest, but it's just my casual speach. I'm don't intend, nor did I ever intend (sorry if I did) to say ALL / 100% of martial arts systems / schools are bad for self-defense... but I am saying 99% or more of them are.

No matter what you talk about, or what point anyone says, you can always pick holes in it... there is always exceptions to what someone says. So just to make the communication flow easier, I just omit all the qualifying statements and assume people will understand that principal.