UV Led Light Construction

Streak

Enlightened
I will soon be receiving some 5mm UV Led's.
I want a UV light to detect bad bank notes.
Would I be able to just replace the LED in say a Photon with the UV Led and use that as the light source? ie. is one 5mm LED enough for this purpose?
Anything special I need to know about stringing 2 or 3 UV's together that's different to doing this with white Led's?

TIA.

My Landrover Horror Story

whiskypapa3

Enlightened
Just bend the leads like the Photon led and stick it in. The UV light from a single led is just enough the see the flouresent markings under a cupped hand in most room light. Hold the light about a cm or two from the banknote..

I did just the opposite a few months ago, needed some UV leds and found it was cheaper to buy a couple dozen Hong Kong keychain lights and take out the UV leds, plus had batteries and cases left over essentially free. Replaced them with white ones and used them as Christmas pass out gifts.

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
We have UV LED's at Maplin now! Very expensive though!
I'm told that a purple Photon will also work well with banknote watermarks! I would love to get hold of some of the purple LED's myself! Could be useful as recently some forged fivers have been circulating around the Coalville area recently!

PsycoBob[Q2]

Enlightened
I wonder if a Royal-Blue Luxeon would work. Lots of power, but I don't know if the wavelength is close enough.

Hemingray

Enlightened
Just got a bag of 100 uVs from Chi-Wing, along with 100 white 5000 mCd (maybe) LEDs, I just couldn't resist the cheap ebay "store" price.
All said and done, and delivered, the cost came out less than 30 cents each...

The epoxy UV LED bodies light up sky blue when the LED is on, must be some uV reactive stuff in the mix. Allegedly these are 395 nM.

Next step, the dreaded 36 LED round board mod...
Combined funny money and catpee detector, perhaps?

/ed b in NH

LoneRebel

Enlightened
Hemmingray, how do the chiwing UV LED's work at charging up strontium-alluminate glowpowder? Also do they seem to be good quality?

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by EMPOWERTORCH:
We have UV LED's at Maplin now! Very expensive though!
I'm told that a purple Photon will also work well with banknote watermarks! I would love to get hold of some of the purple LED's myself! Could be useful as recently some forged fivers have been circulating around the Coalville area recently!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Expensive? How much are you paying? I just picked up 100 of the 390nm UV LEDs pretty reasonable.

These make a hidden strip in a $20 visible. Do a good job. Charge up the Strontium Aluminate great too.

Wayne

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by whiskypapa3:
No Joy...

LS-RBs don't light up the stripes on $US..
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Interesting, but I noticed that my 1W R.Blu makes the "USA5DOLLARS" print on that thin stripe on the bill very readable in the dark.

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
We will be coming out soon with a High-Power 395nm adapter for the 3D flashlight

Expected cost: $50
Output power: 2w

Other Colors/Wavelengths available also
Free Invisible pen (turns milky blue) with adapter

Latest posts