What batteries can the Jil Intelli handle?

Doug

Enlightened
What batteries can the Jil Intelli handle? And which work best with it? Thanks!

Doug

Enlightened
You know... I really don't know anything about those batteries... 14500s, aren't those AA size? What is a "Jil Cap"?

ROK said:
CR2 & RCR2.
RCR2 is much better.
You can also use a 14500 with JIL Cap.

Doug

Enlightened
So, where can I get good RCR2's? Who makes good ones? Batterystation does not seem to have rechargables...

ROK said:
CR2 & RCR2.
RCR2 is much better.
You can also use a 14500 with JIL Cap.

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Possible working combinations for the Jil Intelli:

CR2 lithium primary
RCR2 lithium-ion rechargable
14500 lithium ion rechargable (with CAB extension body)
2xAA (alkaline, lithium, and presumably, although I'm not certain, NiMH) in the BUS extension body.

The Intelli will not light using the CAB with a regular AA battery (NiMH, lithium, or alkaline), even on a lower mode. I would expect it to work with the AA-sized lithiums you can pull from a CRV2 with the same performance from a CR2 primary. A SAFT cell would probably work, but even at 3.7V, it likely wouldn't work on the higher levels because these cells have too low a current ability.

Best (ie: brightest) performance will come from a 3.7V lithium primary, but only use it for short times on the higher levels or Burst, as it can get hot rather quickly. Runtimes will obviously be better with a primary, but it won't have as bright a max level. But that doesn't necessarily mean the output sucks. It's definitely a serviceable and usable amount of light, plenty for a keychain light, and'll give you long runtimes on lower levels. But the light will no longer have the nice "wow" factor the Intelli gives with a li-ion on Burst.

With the CAB extension and a 14500 li-ion you've got a light that's on par with the L1T or Jet-1 on a 14500, but with (IMO) far superior construction. The old Jils were really really nice lights, and the new ones (don't have one yet myself--gotta rectify that) look even nicer.

With the Intelli on a RCR2 you've got a tiny keychain sized light that can replace your big 2 cell Surefire for your EDC. The one disadvantage is of course runtime/battery life, but if you're just running to the Quicky Mart or something and aren't really preparing for "anything", the Intelli is awesome. And it's an awesome backup for your larger lights when you have those.

vortechs

Enlightened
Planterz said:
The Intelli will not light using the CAB with a regular AA battery (NiMH, lithium, or alkaline), even on a lower mode. I would expect it to work with the AA-sized lithiums you can pull from a CRV2 with the same performance from a CR2 primary. A SAFT cell would probably work, but even at 3.7V, it likely wouldn't work on the higher levels because these cells have too low a current ability.

Agreed.

The Intelli will not light on a single regular AA battery (NiMH, lithium, or alkaline).

Performance with a 3V lithium AA primary (from taking apart a 3V CRV3 cell) is the same as the performance on a 3V CR2 primary cell. I've tried it.

Performance on a 3.6V TADIRAN lithium primary cell (like a SAFT) is similar to the performance on a 3V lithium primary cell, due to the limit on the current the TADIRAN cell's chemistry and design can produce.

Walt175

Enlightened
I recently asked AW if his RCR2's would fit my Jil. He told me the ones he is currently selling wouldn't fit, but he's getting a new style cell in a few weeks that would.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like all my LED Light's to run on Li ion's, i was wondering about the newest
jil's esp, the intelli. (since this is the only one that will take a li ion, and is not DD)
I would like to know if it is as bright or brighter on high (or burst) as a 1.3 on a fresh primary? Also, what differene is there between the TWOH and the TXOH, tint and runtime?
I really don't need a full intelli, but want the brightest, light with a
li ion that's regulated. Actually,, just thinking how much "battery regulation" does a li ion give the DD w/ a premium luxIII? just really hate the slow dimming of most DD circuit's, but never have had one using a li ion. I love my
first series jil 1.3, but just want to stay with rechargeables for LED's. VDG

vortechs

Enlightened
voodoogreg said:
I like all my LED Light's to run on Li ion's, i was wondering about the newest
jil's esp, the intelli. (since this is the only one that will take a li ion, and is not DD)
I would like to know if it is as bright or brighter on high (or burst) as a 1.3 on a fresh primary?

The JIL-CR2 Intelli (now called the JCR2-IT) using a RCR2 3.7V Li-Ion cell is brighter than the JIL-CR2 1.3W (now called the JCR2-HI) using a fresh 3V primary cell. The Intelli on maximum power (burst) is about twice as bright as the 1.3W. See Cones' review for Lux readings (link in post #4 of the JIL info thread, see link in post above).

The Intelli has a LDO that limits the current to the Lux-III LED when the Li-Ion cell is fully charged. It won't begin to dim until the Li-Ion cell cannot deliver the current the LDO allows or the voltage of the Li-Ion starts to fall below the Vf of the LED. In practice this means that when you notice it dimming it is time to recharge the Li-Ion cell.

vortechs

Enlightened
voodoogreg said:
Also, what differene is there between the TWOH and the TXOH, tint and runtime?
I really don't need a full intelli, but want the brightest, light with a
li ion that's regulated. Actually,, just thinking how much "battery regulation" does a li ion give the DD w/ a premium luxIII? just really hate the slow dimming of most DD circuit's, but never have had one using a li ion. I love my
first series jil 1.3, but just want to stay with rechargeables for LED's. VDG

There shouldn't be any difference in runtime between a TW0H and a TX0H since the only difference between them is tint. X0 is pure white (like a flourescent light), some people think it looks a bit bluish. W0 is slightly warmer, perhaps cream-colored. Both are very popular and good tints.

The regulation in the Intelli (JCR2-IT) is a LDO which regulates the maximum current to the LED. This is very useful because the 4.2V of a fully charged Li-Ion cell would burn out a xxxH bin LED. A xxxJ bin LED might take the Li-Ion for a while but it could shorten the LED's life (however several CPF members have been using xxxJ bin LEDs in the JIL-CR2 DD and I haven't heard of a LED failure yet). Since the Intelli is limiting the maximum current to the LED, you get a fairly constant brightness as the Li-Ion cell voltage drops from 4.2V to 3.7V, whereas a JIL-CR2 DD using a Li-Ion cell will give varying brightness as the cell voltage drops.

It sounds like the JCR2-IT (Intelli) is the light for you.

vortechs

Enlightened
Walt175 said:
I recently asked AW if his RCR2's would fit my Jil. He told me the ones he is currently selling wouldn't fit, but he's getting a new style cell in a few weeks that would.

I got one of AW's earlier batches of protected RCR2's. It fits the JIL-CR2 lengthwise, although I needed to peel the label off of the cell to get it to be thin enough to fit in the JIL's CR2 battery tube.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
vortechs said:
There shouldn't be any difference in runtime between a TW0H and a TX0H since the only difference between them is tint. X0 is pure white (like a flourescent light), some people think it looks a bit bluish. W0 is slightly warmer, perhaps cream-colored. Both are very popular and good tints.

The regulation in the Intelli (JCR2-IT) is a LDO which regulates the maximum current to the LED. This is very useful because the 4.2V of a fully charged Li-Ion cell would burn out a xxxH bin LED. A xxxJ bin LED might take the Li-Ion for a while but it could shorten the LED's life (however several CPF members have been using xxxJ bin LEDs in the JIL-CR2 DD and I haven't heard of a LED failure yet). Since the Intelli is limiting the maximum current to the LED, you get a fairly constant brightness as the Li-Ion cell voltage drops from 4.2V to 3.7V, whereas a JIL-CR2 DD using a Li-Ion cell will give varying brightness as the cell voltage drops.

It sounds like the JCR2-IT (Intelli) is the light for you.

It sure sound's so. I will look into the flupic UI a bit more, and make a decison.
I like my HDS UI, just not sure about a "twisty" type, but have heard it's not as hard to use as it would sound. VDG

vortechs

Enlightened
voodoogreg said:
It sure sound's so. I will look into the flupic UI a bit more, and make a decison.
I like my HDS UI, just not sure about a "twisty" type, but have heard it's not as hard to use as it would sound. VDG

I haven't had any trouble using the twisty interface for the FLuPIC on my Intelli. The FLuPIC's delay was changed to 1.2 seconds in the Intelli to facilitate the twisty interface. I also have a Chimo FLuPIC ArcAAA which doesn't have the longer delay and it is a bit more awkward to use, since you have to be quick with the twists (I might send it to Goldserve sometime for reprogramming).

It would be hard to get a clicky in the tiny size of the JIL's CR2 body, but you can use a Kroll switch with the JIL-Cab (1AA-size) body.