Ill be moving to Virginia.. TOMORROW :)

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tomorrow morning, at roughly 10.15, I will lift off from Kansas City, and eventually land in Richmond Virginia, where I will rent a car and drive to Charlottesville.

The following day, i will enroll at the Univerisity of Virginia. :)
-tom

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
how old do you have to be to rent a car in Virginia? Wouldn't it be quite expensive for anyone under say, 25(the popular guess for the age beyond which rental car companies trust you?

That's exciting though, are you bring all your lights in your carryon?

Last edited:

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Well, have a GREAT & safe trip for sure!

Keep your priorities straight at school and I'm sure we'll be hearing from you after you get settled in. :thumbsup:

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
You will and you have. I am officially settled in and I love it here. I carried my L2, e1l, and e2e in my carry-on. My M4-cb was safely tucked under me. I have all my lights in my room, and Im ready to GEEK OUT!
-tom

tsl

Enlightened
I went to UVa years ago ... excellent school. Enjoy your first semester!

Tom

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
My mom drove me around campus. I probably wouldnt have been able to rent a car.

The place is really nice, and the quality of living is pretty high. I highly recommend UVa to anyone.
-tom

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to VA. I live in Richmond and attended VCU and JSReynolds.

I think you need to be 25 to rent a car in VA. Wished I knew earlier I may of volunteered a ride.

Ras_Thavas

Enlightened
Virginia has many beautiful areas, and Charlottesville is among them. If you like American history there is a lot of it this state .

Hot? Pfft. Come to the southside sometime around the end of July - mid August. This year we had a couple of brutal weeks. The humidity is horrible here.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Va has 4 seasons. It ranges from the single digits to 3 digits likewise with humidity. Nothing like walking outside in 90 degree weather with 100% humidity.

For that matter60 degree weather at 100% humidity.

Va at times also has strange weather. Nothing like walking out in July into 70 degree weather or December in 90 degree weather.

vtunderground

Enlightened
Cornkid said:
I like it here in Va. Once I get over how hot it is, it really is a nice place to live.

Glad you like it here, hope classes are going well.

Cobb is right about the strange weather. And if we weren't in the middle of a drought, you'd be able to experience the daily 5 o'clock thunderstorm that seems to be unique to the Charlottesville area. I am a big fan of the two weeks of 80-degree weather in the middle of winter, though.

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's nice; I will probably be attending this school for 4 years, and I really am looing forward to seeing some spectacular weather..

SNOW?

Classes are going... I dont think I have any truely hard classes yet..
-tom

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I learned to ride a bike at age 16 in December in during 80 degree weather.

Snow is not quite in season as one may think here. We may get a snow storm before or on Christmas, but the majority of the snow and ice comes between Jan and March. Its hard to say when.

Then you have snow when its 40 out and rain when its in the 20s. Strange.

Up Narwth near bodies of water you get snow from the water of the body evaporating. Some weather men in the teens and single digits weather will toss coffee in the air and show it fall down as ice/snow. The lack of humidity up there in Stanton and other areas will make the cold wind rip right through what ever you are weather. Come down to sea leve and yo aure find with a sweater.

Yeah, I mis those 5 o clock thunderstorms, usually the higher heat in the 90s will bring them out from C'ville to Richmond.

Lightmeup

Enlightened
When I was in the Army I spent a few months at Fort Lee, which is south of Richmond. I was impressed by the beautiful countryside.

roknrandy

Newly Enlightened
This is one of the most beautiful states I've been in and when I got out of the army (3 years in Tx) and that was 20 years ago I came right back here. Yes we do have strange weather here for some odd reason but thats ok with me.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I lived in Dallas for 3 days and loved it. Hot and dry during the day, bit humid at night and morning.

I wouldnt mind visiting North Dakota or those areas that are flat and maybe an island like hawaii or off of FL.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
FYI, the first light snow fall of an inch of less they usually roll up the sidewalks and close down the whole city. Up north in NJ and NY they get 3 ft of snow daily and life goes on as normal.