Throw ONLY from a Single AA size small ???

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got one of them ultrafire 1AAs
then i got the fenix 1AA that has 2 levels.
both of them are sufficient light, and the right size.
but i want ONE more thing.
i want a beam of light without the spill.
WHY?
because when you shoot it out into the bushes, it lights up everything
which messes with my eye iris, i want it to ONLY get to the target
a lot like that stremlight 4aa thing.

Most of my lights i use optics, there is less spill, but less spot.
for spotting things in the woods, only one single beam of light striking the target would be usefull.

I tried putting a refective tube around it, that sucked.
i know that a DEEP reflector would work, but i want it to remain VERY small.

i never thought i would want a side emitter, due to its inefficiencies, but that is probably what i need.

Did i mention CHEAP :) cheap small prefer levels, spot only.

the single AA lights are the first actual POCKET light, with enough juice, i need 1W of led power minimum, and as small or smaller than a fenix 1AA, must be way smaller than a mini-mag 2aa, which isnt pocket for me.

Last edited:

Spordin

Enlightened
I've read that the new "mil/tactical" version of the Gerber IU has a spot with little spill. Don't have one, but that's what I've heard.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
If by "1W of LED brightness", you mean you want your 1AA throw light to have a central spot brightness of 500-600 cd or more (L1P is 650), then I don't think such a light exists, cheap or expensive. A big custom turbo head could focus the light more but it would be....big. 1AA spots like the old Inova X1 barely put out 100 cd. I think the militarized Gerber IU puts out less.

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
The Led Lenser (Coast) David 19 is a 1AA 1W luxeon with an optic which gives very little spill, and plenty of throw. It's only a smidge larger than a Fenix L1.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
nerdgineer said:
If by "1W of LED brightness", you mean you want your 1AA throw light to have a central spot brightness of 500-600 cd or more (L1P is 650), then I don't think such a light exists, cheap or expensive. A big custom turbo head could focus the light more but it would be....big. 1AA spots like the old Inova X1 barely put out 100 cd. I think the militarized Gerber IU puts out less.

yes, even if it was say 3/4 of the total outuput of a fenix that Might cut it, as long as that spill that blows out my vision isnt there at all.

when out in the dark woods Long enough, depending on the moon, you can see enough to walk, a wee bit of headlight juice, makes that a piece of cake, but
something just Moved, in the bushes, and i am not going to bother it, and its not going to bother me, i just sure want to know what it is.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
gadgetnerd said:
The Led Lenser (Coast) David 19 is a 1AA 1W luxeon with an optic which gives very little spill, and plenty of throw. It's only a smidge larger than a Fenix L1.

hmm that looks good, if only i knew how to interpret the charts.
50$ is reasonable enough. colameter lens, which if its dissasembleable i could possibly "tune", if nessisary.

i like the back switch, might work with gloves on better than the fenix.
and i wonder if with a lithium i could get a longer high-bright.
the weight is similar at 2.2oz

oh wait that was the 15??
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/ledlenser_d15.htm

Last edited:

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Inova over Led lenser anytime.

aa inova X1 old style beam is focused tight no spill flood

OR I am sure a custom build could be done. that $300 "Arc-mania" I saw at Lighthound looks interesting!

Illum

Flashaholic
tsask said:
Inova over Led lenser anytime.

aa inova X1 old style beam is focused tight no spill flood

OR I am sure a custom build could be done. that $300 "Arc-mania" I saw at Lighthound looks interesting!

:rock::rock::rock:
I need to go buy some from T series...

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
el_vato said:
what about the t series inovas?

looks like inova is all spot no spill at all.
but inovas havent been known to be small, or powerfull?

the 2x123 type look like they would have some juice, but that might be bigger than i want??
there is so many different inovas, i dont know what to do??

i bought the coast things, mabey i can mod them.

which inova would best meet the SMALL yet powerfull specs, using a single aa?

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
nikon said:
Would a Surefire E1L work?

were getting bigger and more spencive. and more tactical, or clunkey.
that E1L and like series has a plexiglass concentrator stuff, and it is the same idea for sure.

what i am looking for should comfortably (like the small fenix) fit in a front pocket.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Upplyst said:
What about a laser pointer, thats a tight spot :)

got one of them, doesnt cut it, besides damaging wildlife :) the single color makes it hard to see anything with it.
and it is way TOO tight a beam,
although
i do have an adjustable beam 10mw , but its so red, cant see anything usefully with it.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
A single AA MiniMag (MiniminiMag) with a narrow beam optic (NX05 or Fraen? or 6 degree Carclo?) and a Boost Sandwich from the sandwich Shoppe (see dealer forum) that works with 1AA.

I like Inovas, but A T1 (one of my favorite work around the house lights) would not perform well with half the design voltage.

If you can live with the old stlye Inova X1 level of brightness, then that has the least spill of just about anything.

A bright spot with no spill will still reduce your night vision significantly if you look at the spot. Total light output matter for that, not just spread of it.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blindasabat said:
A single AA MiniMag (MiniminiMag) with a narrow beam optic (NX05 or Fraen? or 6 degree Carclo?) and a Boost Sandwich from the sandwich Shoppe (see dealer forum) that works with 1AA. .

the mag Head itself is what makes a mag "large" for the pocket, unlike a penlight.

Blindasabat said:
I like Inovas, but A T1 (one of my favorite work around the house lights) would not perform well with half the design voltage.

the t1 looks reasonable in size, and it says 600 for its throw?

Blindasabat said:
If you can live with the old stlye Inova X1 level of brightness, then that has the least spill of just about anything.

something is telling me that the x1 is NOT bright enough at all??

Blindasabat said:
A bright spot with no spill will still reduce your night vision significantly if you look at the spot. Total light output matter for that, not just spread of it.

ahh, so i might be right back where i started anyways.
my opinion is that i can shoot back further into the bush, without the whole bush lighting up around me. your average reflector light almost 50% of the light just pours out the front of the leds and goes all over the place.

when using the fenix, i wanted to just STOP the dang spill for a moment, drop a aspherical lens in for a second, i wanted to get just a spot.
so i tried putting my hand round it forming a tunnel, and that was a waste, then i tried to make a reflector tube, and that was a waste.

i just wanted to stop the spill, the spot that was going out was Just sufficeint, and i really only wanted to stop the spill for a while.

if a tube around the head would have worked, that would have taken little extra space, if it could slide back over the body. mabey i should have tried a black tube instead of a reflector tube.

Last edited:

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
i will go see if target has any inova T1 things, that will tell me the size better. its my opinion, if its to spotty that is easier to diffuse than it is to try and concentrate one that is already difuse.

QuadMan

Newly Enlightened
Hi!

VidPro, I have a couple of suggestions. The first is probably not bright enough but it is fairly small and interesting. The palight survival reviewed here: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/palight_survival.htm
Make sure if you get this one to not get the new, brighter models. Not only are the new models bigger, but the beam is not as focused.

The Aurora single 123a as reviewed here: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/aurora_lensed.htm
and mentioned in post 22 in this thread:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/128726 would be a brighter option. It might be too big though (there might be a River Rock version at Target that you can check out when you look at the T1).

You might also want to check out this thread: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/123157

Hope this helps and good luck on your search.

Don