A reason to stay away from Princeton Tec

recercare

Enlightened
I think I read in a previous post that Princeton still claims that their Surge has 7.5W output.

Let's give it some thoughts. 6V * 1.1A = 6.6W. However, a more correct estimate would be 4.8V * 1.1A = 5.28W

If the 7.5W is correct with 1.1A, then the batteries must produce 1.7V!!!
I have never seen a flashlight manufacturer counting 1.7V of each battery when estimating wattage ouput. How long does a battery provide 1.7V?.....probably 2 minutes....

Princeton Tec says their Tec40 has 4W output as well....which is equally misleading as the info about the Surge.

Okay, it's not the engineers' fault, but I would still think twice about buying from a company that gives such misleading info about their products.

mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
rolleyes.gif

PhotonRanger

Newly Enlightened
I really like the PT products, but with names like Rage, Blast and Attitude, it's seems that the marketing arm of the company must rule the roost. BTW, photographic emulsion cleaner takes off the graphics without seeming to hurt the plastic.

I'm still wondering how the Pelican Stealthlite claims a 3.1 watt bulb w/4AA and a longer run time than a 2.1 watt UK with the same batts.

Empath

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by recercare:
If the 7.5W is correct with 1.1A.......<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where did you get the 1.1A? Red Herring?

recercare

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Empath:
Where did you get the 1.1A? Red Herring?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I ordered a new bulb, my old one blew, and it read 6V/1.1A, hmm...or maybe it was 1.0A. It was the standard bulb for the Surge, according to the shop............

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like Princeton Tec, i always have. They are a good alternative to expensive UKE lights. Just like how Streamlight is a good alternative to Surefire.

I don't think it would be fair to totally shun a company just because of questionable marketing tacktics. Although it can get them totally screwed if taken to a legal level (false advertising). But Princeton Tec has demonstrated some pretty decent quality and performance for their price.

I bought a rage and it is listed at 2.1 watts. Whether or not it is accurate doesn't really matter to me when the thing costs 11 dollars and is wwaaayy brighter than a AA Mag.

...but this is my opinion.
grin.gif

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 8 SF's, 3 SL's. & 3 PT's and like them all. I think the Surge, Tec 40 & Rage are great lights for the price (even if they don't meet there advertised wattage). Just my 3 cents (inflation
smile.gif
) TX

Size15's

Flashaholic
Wise man once say; "A flashlight is in the comparison."

Marketing can take a running leap. For most forumites, "we" will destory the marketing hype.

The only company I trust is SureFire, and I'm not saying they get it right 100%, but there ain't a company that is more honest, but I suppose no company apart from SureFire can afford to be?

The Surge was a fine light. I will get a Surge. I don't care it's Watts or Amps or whatever. All I care about is how it performs in the dark. From what I've seen (limited seenage) the Surge is the best non SF123A/SureFire light available.

Al

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Al,
I assure you, you won't be dissapointed. Get hold of William @ TTS. He has a good price. As much of a SF fan as I am, I think the Surge is probably one of the best utility lights out there for the price. TX

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
i just can't get over the fact that you have to use 8 AA batteries. That must be a cumbersome task to do when you are excited or busy. It's hard enoegh trying to change my new light cannon - but you kinda expect that from a large bulky light - not a regular task light. Just my 2 cents.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Actually, their website claims 8 watts...

Quote:
Ergonomically designed, SURGE fits easily and comfortably in your hand. Designed with size in mind, an innovative 8 AA series/parallel battery configuration keeps battery space to a minimum while providing enough illumination for all your needs. Gram for gram, SURGE is the brightest light in the marketplace. With its Halogen bulb and 8 watts of screaming power, SURGE is significantly brighter than traditional metal flashlights, making it an attractive alternative to larger, heavier C & D cell powered products.

SPECIFICATIONS:
Power: 8 Watts
Batteries: 4 AA Alkaline
Reflector: Wide Beam
Burn Time: 3-5 Hrs.
Weight: 10.8 oz. with Batteries

The ad copy at brightguy.com simply says they use a 7.5 watt halogen bulb, but there's no claim that it's driven to full capacity.

As others have said, the marketing hype doesn't really bother me - the Surge is a bright flashlight with a decent beam for a great price...
smile.gif

Mike

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I'm a big Surge fan (I have 2!), as well as an Impact, which I also like. I think the Surge is a great light. But then, I didn't buy it based on PTs marketing or anything - I got my first one based on comments of CPF members.

However, I think that the PT lights are very well made, and definitely worth it, so much so that I am more than willing to forgive a little over-enthusiastic marketing..

Graham

Spork

Enlightened
maybe some people should email princeton tec and let them know there products being good quality is what makes them sell and not lieing about specs?